1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Chocolate Rain batches

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by AlexFields, Dec 25, 2012.

1. AlexFields

AlexFields Advocate (550) Tennessee Dec 13, 2009

Question for anyone who's had all the batches of The Bruery's Chocolate Rain: is there significant variation across batches? I know 09 Black Tuesday was pretty different from other years, but the first release of CR had 2010 BT as a base right? Is it much different from later batches, and which batch is best?

Basically I have a b1 CR and am trying to decide if it would be better to drink it or to trade it for a later batch of CR + some other want.

2. batch 1 tastes like a oyster sauce and batch 2 tastes like light soy sauce.

LockeSD likes this.
  3. That's like your opinion man

4. I'm pretty sure he was asked for his opinion.... Yes? ;)

5. GraniteSkunk

GraniteSkunk Savant (375) Illinois Apr 17, 2007

Batch 1 was probably the best beer that I've ever had. I haven't had it for a year or two, but when I did, it was mind blowing.

Haven't tried batch 2 yet.

iceatalamo likes this.
  6. Huh. Honestly on my phone I saw this thread as "chocolate rain bitches", and was much more intrigued. I was hoping for a drunken review of the beer. Oh well.

7. Wish I had some in put. ISO Chocolate Rain

Knapp85 likes this.
  8. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

Haters gotta hate.:eek:

9. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

I think Batch 1 has faded on the chocolate notes. And for most people seeking this are probably, I assume, looking for a Chocolate Rain to be well..chocolately. I have had numerous tastings of both batch 1, and batch 2 a few times. My opinion of this fantastic beer is that although it is stunning fresh, it drops off fairly quickly. just my 2 pesos.

10. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

I dunno if he's hating... I love oyster sauce AND light soy sauce. Mmmmmmmmm Czar.

AlexFields likes this.
  11. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Batch 1 was crazy hot, and still remains fairly hot as of two months ago. Batch two is more cloyingly sweet, but I liked it much better, personally.

12. I was joking... sorta. I am not a huge fan of BT or Chocolate Rain. To each his own.

13. davesway10

davesway10 Advocate (500) Iowa Jan 23, 2010

Just got my first ever Chocolate Rain, Its B2. Let the nay sayers nay and the doom preachers preach, but I'll be enjoying this bad boy weather I want to or not. Here's to hoping B2 is the better batch but I'll probably, personally, never know the difference. Happy New Year all.

2beerdogs likes this.
  14. I've only had a batch 2, but it was fantastic. Soy sauce my ass.

15. Notice you didn't say if you liked their overall flavor...after all, both of those ingredients taste great in Bud Light Chelada.

tendermorsel likes this.
  16. AlexFields

AlexFields Advocate (550) Tennessee Dec 13, 2009

I thought 09 BT was fantastic but that's the only CR/BT bottle I've had.

Thanks everyone for the input, I'll still have to think about what I want to do but I'm not really a ticket so ultimately I'll probably decide having the first batch isn't so important and trade it to someone who cares about the difference or wants a vertical.

17. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (655) Florida Jul 15, 2011

If anyone wants to send bottles to get my opinion on the matter, you are very welcome to do so.

2beerdogs, JustXBeer and AlexFields like this.
  18. So Id really like to get my hands on a current bottle of this. Cigar City FT:)

19. Speaking of Chocolate Rain, how does one tell the two apart? I know with BT it's the ABV. Does that hold true for CR?

20. CR b1 doesn't have the "Contains Alcohol" thing printed on the label.

21. Ok so after some research it looks like the b2 Chocolate Rain has TCHO more prominently

b1
    [​IMG]

b2
    [​IMG]

JustXBeer likes this.
  22. IKR

IKR Savant (320) California May 25, 2010

Yes

23. Rckmo10

Rckmo10 Aficionado (230) California Sep 13, 2009

IMO the chocolate fades rather quickly, as stated above. I have had both batched on different occasions and I enjoy B2 much more. B1 is still a great beer and I suggest drinking it, so you can form your own opinion.

24. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (680) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

He is an acquired taste. Kind of like herpes. He grows on you. And then you can't ever get rid of him.

oreo and weatherdog like this.
  25. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I don't think either are hot at all, but I drink bourbon neat...

26. Beat me to it. I shall bow out respectfully.

callmeishmALE likes this.
  27. While moving my "brewery" recently I also organized my cellar and decided to take a side by side to further illustrate my earlier point.

[​IMG]
    ---------Batch 1 ------- Batch 2---------

28. JacobHalling

JacobHalling Disciple (50) Denmark Apr 14, 2010

Batch 1 is 18,5% abv and batch 2 is 19,5 right?