1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Christmas Beers still on shelves

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Chelsea1905, Apr 4, 2013.

1. In picking up some stuff for a trade over the past few days I noticed one beer shop I go to still has a few Christmas release beers on their shelf. The one place never really puts them on sale, but I wanted to know if there are some that I should be looking out for that if they go on sale they'd be worthwhile Some of the ones I have seen are Pelican's Bad Santa, Jubilation, Wreck the Halls by Full Sail, and I am sure I saw a few others.

Anyway, are Christmas brews still worth looking out for
  2. Budinetz

Budinetz Savant (350) Pennsylvania Dec 29, 2010

Troeg's Mad Elf ages well...
    YogiBeer, Lantern, beercanman and 4 others like this.
  3. you can get some good deals on christmas beers this time of year. some places are just looking to dump their remaining stock.

i saw a 6 pack of corsedonk xmas that came with a glass for $6 today
    acevenom and rauchfest like this.
  4. 57md

57md Savant (475) Pennsylvania Aug 22, 2011

I have had Avery Old Jubilation and liked it, but I am not sure how it would taste with some age on it.

Two years ago I had a bomber bottle of Port Brewing Santa's Little Helper. I really liked it, but definitely thought it would taste even better with some age on it. I have yet to locate another bottle. If I did, I would cellar it for a year. You may want to get that if you see it.
    Chelsea1905 likes this.
  5. olfolxholme

olfolxholme Savant (285) California Feb 13, 2011

At this point, possibly. (Of course) it's going to vary from beer to beer. Storage conditions at the store will play a big role. Higher ABV's are your best bet.

I don't think Wreck the Halls ages very well, since it is a Dry-Hopped Winter Warmer... but it's not that old at this point. Jubelale (I think that's what you meant) should still be good. Never had Bad Santa.

Depending on what you are looking for, any beer that you liked at Christmas could be interesting to try a few months out. Could be educational, could be delicious. If you have the cash and the fridge space... go for it.
    kemoarps and Chelsea1905 like this.
  6. 57md

57md Savant (475) Pennsylvania Aug 22, 2011

Agreed. I definitely liked Mad Elf much better with age. Fegley's Rude Elf as well. That said, I don't think that Chelsea would find either one of those PA beers in Washington state.
  7. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Goose Island Christmas ages pretty well, says it can age for up to five years in the bottle. Don't know if you get that though.
    JuniperJesus likes this.
  8. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Jubilation ages well. Anchor Our Special Ale also ages extremely well.
    acevenom likes this.
  9. Budinetz

Budinetz Savant (350) Pennsylvania Dec 29, 2010

True Story...You could look for some Santa's Reserve from Rogue...that's pretty tasty and usually there is some left over...not one to age though..
  10. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

I wish I could still pick up a few St. Bernardus Christmas Ales.
    mecummins, WassailWilly and acevenom like this.
  11. Mandark

Mandark Savant (305) Illinois Apr 8, 2008

I'm a nerd and so can attest that the 2012 version states that it will remain fresh for 180 days from bottling, whereas the 2011, which was a great beer, claims it will develop up to five years. Thanks to a great local store I was able to get a few four packs of the 2011 last week and it still tastes superfine.
  12. CoolEthan

CoolEthan Savant (430) California Jan 9, 2013

I hoard St Bernardus Christmas Ales like a squirrel/nuts.
    darky, WassailWilly, BILF and 2 others like this.

13. Sorry, missed the "Old"

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/30/3295
    olfolxholme likes this.
  14. Thanks guys. I had a Mad Elf as part of a trade that involved Nugget Nectar, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Shame it was only one! But Troegs stuff in my cellar is still calling my name
  15. Thanks for the input guys. I am totally with olfolxhome that I'll probably just test it out as an experiment, I mean, why not?

Other than I'm trying to cut back on the amount of drinking this month due to an agreement with my wife that she's letting me buy a plane ticket to Chicago for my buddy's wedding. I'll try stock up on some Chicago brews while I am there, so I'm not complaining too much.
    olfolxholme likes this.
  16. There's still a few 2012 Anchor Christmas ales around here, will pick up a bottle or two to do a comparison when 2013's version come along.
  17. There's a bunch of St. Bernardus Christmas ale left over where I work. Also we have Jubilation and Hibernation left on tap.
  18. damn man, I'd grab some of that St Bernardus if I were you.

Total Wine has Old Jubilation and Jubelale for 99c a bottle. I grabbed a couple and they're still alright.
    olfolxholme likes this.
  19. 'Shelfs' works better when talking about a Christmas beer
  20. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (460) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

Trader Joe's still has 2102 Vintage Ale (Unibroue) on the shelves some places for $4.99 a 750. Great deal on a good beer.
    Skunkdrool, craigo19 and IndyDad like this.
  21. I see what you did there....:rolleyes:
    kemoarps and ufmj like this.
  22. Actually, on second thought, it was right in the first place, but I never was good in math.
    kemoarps likes this.
  23. Schlafly Christmas drinks well year round. They do great things with spiced beers, as the pumpkin drinks great year round, too.
  24. Premo88

Premo88 Savant (490) Texas Jun 6, 2010

it's a pretty low-rent standard brew, but for what it's worth, i bought and drank some Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale last week for the first time, and damn was it good.

anyway, if you found any on sale, you could do worse ...
    ufmj likes this.
  25. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

We've got xmas beers on a sale shelf at my shop; winter beers that age well are still sold at regular pricing. IMO, naming a beer "xxx x-mas ale" really is a bad idea. Once xmas is over, the interest is pretty much gone. Winter is still around for months after x-mas...
    BoneyardBrewer likes this.
  26. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Hibernation is an excellent winter seasonal/ages well and I'm glad they do the smart thing and not include the word christmas in the name...
  27. I came across a bottle of DeDolle Stille Nacht a couple weeks ago and picked it up. I gotta think that stuff ages well.
    WassailWilly likes this.
  28. mmm jubilation...
  29. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

A few weeks ago I noticed a big stack of Boulevard Nutcracker Ale 6-packs that Whole Foods had on firesale (less than $6). Gone in a week.

Spec's in Austin (warehouse type liquor store) still had Saint Arnold Sailing Santa from the Christmas before last during Christmastime this year. And that's a Christmas IPA! Might still be there, lol.
  30. LMT

LMT Savant (305) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

As of Saturday, a place in Frederick, MD still had at least 3 cases of SN Celebration (as well as cold six packs).

I was half-tempted to buy one, but they were full price (at an already somewhat high price of $9/sixer).

Anyone purchased Celebration recently? I'd love to know how it holds up.
  31. MDDMD

MDDMD Advocate (550) Pennsylvania Jun 4, 2011

Just saw a case at my local distributor for 40% off!!
  32. Goose Island Christmas Ale is meant to continue developing in the bottle for up to five years. I had a 2009 for Christmas last year, and it was really, very good. I saw a lone 4 pack of 2012 last week so I bought it. SA's Merry Mischief is supposed to age fairly well, also.
    While you're in town stocking up, 3 Floyds, Half Acre, and Pipeworks are just a few of the local brews to look for.
    mecummins, Zuidman and Chelsea1905 like this.
  33. Bildo

Bildo Aficionado (185) Minnesota Jan 24, 2013

Does anchor christmas cellar well, a local store has the larger (bigger than 32oz) on the shelves still.
  34. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I fell in love with mad elf this year. I could only find 3 bottles for my cellar. A few days ago I went to a shop that is an unorganized mess and found several six packs in there. Bought a case and might by more. Those are my favorite finds.
  35. The brewery thinks so:
    Although, they still recommend refrigeration (as they do for all their beers, a request that is ignored by most retailers). There was a tasting of different OSA vintages a few years ago in which Fritz Maytag, previously a doubter, even acknowledged the cellarablity of the relatively low abv Our Special Ale.
  36. danoble1

danoble1 Aficionado (240) Indiana Apr 13, 2012

Saw Goose Island Christmas Ale at Liquor Barn in Wheeling $14.99 a case (yes a case of 24). They had easily 20 cases.
  37. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

I was returning my sixtel of Anchor Our Special Ale 2012 on Saturday and when I went to look at what keg to buy next they still had another sixtel of OSA 2012 there.
  38. Insanely so.

Mugs Ale House in Brooklyn had numerous vintages on their bottle list when I was living in NY. Tried a few and they were very nice and had a lot of age on them.
  39. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Savant (300) Florida Feb 20, 2013

Yeah, there's a pile of it where I shop too. Don't drink many quads, so I never pay much attention to that stuff. Guess I should pick one up.
  40. Rude Elf's Reserve is awesome especially when aged. It's a bit hot fresh. I have about 4 2-year old bottles waiting for me in my cellar.

Historical fact: The beer used to be named Rudolph's Reserve until someone claimed the rights for Rudolph. More recently, Troegs claimed the rights to 'Elf' beers but they ended up settling and Fegley's kept the name. I know all this since I went to college right down the road from Bethlehem Brew Works.