1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cicerones?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dhannes, Jan 13, 2013.

1. dhannes

dhannes Savant (360) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

2. pvllbum

pvllbum Savant (255) Illinois Sep 4, 2007

i am a certified cicerone beer server. I've been studying up to get my second level certification...which is as far as I plan to go.
    Squidly and dianimal like this.
  3. Agold

Agold Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2010

I'm sure there are a fair amount, and I would also guess that there are many more people who could pass the server exam easily but don't feel like paying $70 to get a certification that means nothing if you don't work in the industry.
    MrHolland10 and RobertColianni like this.
  4. I am a Certified Beer Server.
  5. I've been planning to do it for some time, i'm not currently in the industry right now but hope to be at some point...worth the investment?
  6. Fujii13

Fujii13 Savant (250) New York Apr 27, 2011

Just got my CBS Friday.
    dianimal likes this.
  7. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Actually you are a Certified Beer Server in the Cicerone Certification Program. Congratulations on that and good luck on Cicerone Certification. Make sure you know the proper designations for the test. Ray and the program are very particular about the way you present your credentials and they outline it in depth on the site.

I got Cicerone Certification in October 2012.
    RobertV916 likes this.
  8. "Dr" Bill (and associated haters) to thread.
    copslovebeer likes this.
  9. Congratulations!!
    I'll toast to your success from my half filled glass of Night Stalker.
    Cheers!!
    luwak likes this.
  10. pvllbum

pvllbum Savant (255) Illinois Sep 4, 2007

yeah...I woke up 20 minutes ago after 3 late nights of working...I've been working with one other coworker on trying to pick the different characteristics out of beers.
  11. Fujii13

Fujii13 Savant (250) New York Apr 27, 2011

Thanks man. I think anyone who is interested in the cert should give the test a shot. Can't hurt, especially if you're as enthusiastic about craft beer as most are around these parts.
    JxExM likes this.
  12. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

I'm a Certified Beer Server, which helped me get my current job that I love. Several of us at the bar are studying to take the Cicerone exam later this year. Wish me luck!
  13. avenuepub

avenuepub Savant (295) Louisiana Apr 23, 2009

Almost my entire staff are Certfified beer servers. We pay for the exam if they pass and they get a small hourly raise. I think it's worth it.
  14. GCurlow

GCurlow Aficionado (205) Washington Oct 13, 2005

Yes. I'm a Certified Cicerone.
  15. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

I got my Certified Beer Server certification this past year and looking to become a Certified Cicerone this year, as well as a certified Beer Judge through the BJCP. I am trying to build up my beer credentials through these certifications, as well as winning homebrew competitions, and volunteering at a local brewery.
    dianimal likes this.
  16. CaptCleveland

CaptCleveland Savant (450) Ohio Jun 18, 2003

Great to see so many BAs are Certified Beer Servers. As for me, I'm more of a drinker than a server.
    Cheers!
    jlenik likes this.
  17. I'm a Certified Beer Server, and hoping that my work agrees to pay for my Cicerone exam sometime in the next few months.
  18. What is the highest level in the program? Master?
  19. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Royal Knight Companion of The Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of The Thistle
    FanofHefe, JxExM, ales4baldo and 15 others like this.
  20. Exactly the same. Giving the beer indusrty everything i have this year to make an actual career out of it. I also pay for the test fee if any of my staff pass the Certifed Beer Server test. If they fail they pay. Bartenders mandatory and servers highly recomended. So far Ive paid for only 2 servers though. Certified Cicerone is no joke. Lot of stuff to know. Flashcardexchange.com has a really good printable guide that is almost question for question on the 2008 Practice Exam. If willing to pay for it there are also beer sensory/spiking kits available online. Friggin expensive though.
  21. GCurlow

GCurlow Aficionado (205) Washington Oct 13, 2005

Why the hate on the Cicerone Program?

Cause some cant afford it?

Ray Daniels has done a fantastic job with this certification. Bringing attention, respect, and ADVOCACY to beer.

This negative attitude on this site has got to end and the penny pinchers are being ridiculous with their comments. Can't afford? Either get a better job or stop trying to get into the craft world. Beer geeks should feel thrilled that prices have not skyrocketed like wine. Try buying a 1st growth Bordeaux, Gramd Cru Burgundy, Hermitage, or top notch Barolo producer. Prices will put you back 500+ a bottle.

We're living in a great time for craft beer. Why try to spoil it?
  22. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I am certified. That was a lot of fun
  23. my neighbor is one of those! He tosses me the newsletters after he's done dabbing his brow with them.
    Horbar and benjaminahudson like this.
  24. avalonct

avalonct Aficionado (205) Michigan Oct 11, 2012

Out of curiosity for those of you are cicerones, how much does it cost and how long did you study for?
  25. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

https://cicerone.org/
  26. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

You see hate in this thread?
  27. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (380) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

I passed the BJCP, with a recognized title. I would like to go back to obtain a Certified title for whatever reason, but will do that once the crowded exams die down.

Cicerone, I would love to do, and hopefully do next.
  28. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I had plans on taking the Cicerone exam in February in Chicago, but have decided to continue to study/gain palate recognition skills/and brewing knowledge. There are zero Cicerones in the U.P. of Michigan, so I was very anxious to take the exam, and pass and be the first and only...but that was more for my own dick wagging, so I decided to hold off and study up for another 10 months, and take it in the fall of 2013.
  29. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

That's a cool investment for your establishment. Where is this place? (Opportunity for a plug.) Do you guys have a good beer selection then?
  30. CellarGimp

Took about 2 years to acquire the necessary knowledge from a base of "I like beer". Studied my balls off for the last 6 weeks about 1 - 2 hours a day. Have a 150 pg outline I put together. Hardest/most troublesome part to study for is off flavor tasting. You need a group to invest in it.

I would equate the overall study/prep to a quarter of MBA which I also did. Subject matter was a lot more fun though!
    dianimal likes this.
  31. RobH

RobH Savant (400) Maryland Sep 23, 2006

Took the Certified Beer Server (CBS) exam June '11. Passed. Not "rocket science", but you either know the subject matter or you don't. Much more than "I like beer"/ "street knowledge" is required.

Took the Certified Cicerone exam June '12. Passed. This one's an order of magnitude more in-depth and difficult than the CBS exam. Finding a group to share the cost of the sensory kit and to do the sensory tasting is pretty much a "must do" for passing the sensory part of the exam. A good number of people pass the other parts of the exam but fail the sensory portion. (The Cicerone program does let people re-take just the sensory portion of the exam).

The Master Cicerone level (3rd level) appears to be two orders of magnitude more difficult than the (2nd level) Certified Cicerone.
    dianimal likes this.
  32. The sensory portion separates the men from the boys in both the Cicerone and BJCP certification tests.
  33. CTBeerPope

CTBeerPope Savant (280) Connecticut Jan 30, 2012

I'm a CBS. First level is super easy and the average BA could pass the test without studying. 2nd level is harder. Studying for that now.
  34. CellarGimp

My opinion on this is either "you got it or you don't". Yes, you need lots (a shit ton) of experience with styles and off flavors, but you better have extremely thoughtful tastebuds b/c the minute you are going fully blind on this stuff you really know if you know it or not. Its by far the most fun part of the whole thing.
    dianimal likes this.
  35. CellarGimp

I just downloaded the book you wrote.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/Total Guide to Beer/id573678502?ls=1
    Very cool! Cheers
  36. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

I agree with this, but can see why certain people would knock on the program. For those in the industry and really trying to build a database of knowledge of craft beer and further their credentials, this program is excellent. For those whom casually drink craft beer, aren't in the industry, and/or do not wish to formalize their knowledge with credentials, this program is not for them.

For me, I am trying to build up credentials so I can, one day, become a designated "expert" in the industry. I have aspirations to delve into beer consultation and one day open a small brewpub. These are my motivations. If they were not my aspirations and I simply enjoyed drinking beer for what it was and reviewing, I don't think I would be interested in any cicerone credentials.
    madtrixter787 likes this.
  37. Just a guess, but considering her user name is "avenuepub" and her profile says she's in New Orleans, it's probably the establishment at 1732 St. Charles Ave, New Orleans, LA.

Google Maps is your friend.
  38. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Cool thanks. I'm a lazy researcher what can I say. haha. I didn't even read her name.
  39. I'm a Certified Cicerone. The test was not easy.

A breadth of knowledge is what they are really looking for, depth helps, but food pairing and draught system maintenance and set-up are a big deal and generally fall outside of the realm of general beer geekery. (In my opinion)

I might disagree with the need to purchase the sensory kit for off-flavors. Honestly, if you read about the off flavors and what causes them you really can pick them out. When I do any tasting, blind or not, I generally get an immediate first impression and I trust that. If something doesn't feel right explore that. While terrified of the sensory portion of the test, I actually surprised myself with how well I did. Tasting a good deal of home-brew, including my own, helps with flaw recognition as well.

I absolutely think the certification is worth the money and the time. Styles are a big deal, but equally is enjoying beer to its full potential with thoughtful and consistent presentation.
    dianimal, afksports and BEERchitect like this.