Cicerones?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dhannes, Jan 13, 2013.

1. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

Would you say employers (bar, bottle shop, brewery) are more inclined to hire a CBS? I'm thinking about taking the test because I want to work in the beer industry, but if my knowledge alone can cut the mustard, then why should I take the jump. Not that $69 is a big chunk of change...

2. One of the best things about this program is that there are different levels rather than just one stamp of approval. Once you have the first level you can always tell a potential or existing employer that you are currently working on the next level and maybe they will help or fully pay for your test? It also demonstrates that you are following an industry accepted program which professionally will always trump personal beer geekery.

The Certified Beer Server certification also comes with a pin. I know how cheesey that may sound, but if you work front of the house in a restaurant, it at least brings up a conversation between your guests or co-workers and yourself.

Probably one of the more difficult things in the past to deal with in the beer world (bear in mind I spent years in wine) is that there was no professional certification that you could take with you to different spheres of the industry. If you were the "beer person," at your store or bar that's great, but does that travel with you when you move 4 states away?

dianimal likes this.
  3. babybeer

babybeer Aspirant (25) California Dec 30, 2012

I am Beer Server Certified. I've been studying for the Certified Cicerone test, but I'm terrified to take the actual test! To pay all that money and fail would be really discouraging..

4. avenuepub

avenuepub Savant (295) Louisiana Apr 23, 2009

$69 isn't a lot of money. From an employer standpoint I've only had one person interview that was already a certified beer server( and I hired her). Plenty of beer geeks trying to get jobs. One of the things I really like about the certifed beer server test is that it requires some technical draft system knowledge to pass. There is a LOT more to being a good bartender than just knowing beer and from a practical standpoint I can train you about beer...other things not so much. The candidate I'd be impressed with ( besides one coming from another good beer bar) would be one who had worked behind the bar in any busy bar and had a certified beer server under their belt. That would let me know they were competant at all aspects of the job. All the beer knowledge in the world doesn't make up for a crash and burn when the bar gets busy on a Friday night. I've had beer geeks who could tell you the difference between different types of hop profiles by tasting them but couldnt change a keg without making a mess in the cooler. That's not even touching on pouring a proper drink without busting my Liqour cost.
    Bottle shops and sales rep knowledge is of course a completely different skill set.

5. I tried posting this to no avail so maybe I'll have better luck in this thread:

I made the leap and decided to sign up for the Certified Cicerone Exam. I have been studying off and on for about 2 years so I feel if I keep at it for the next two months it'll be no problem. I am looking for a couple other people who will be taking the exam to meet up a few times between now and then. Send me a BM if you're interested in the slightest.

The test is:
    Washgington, D.C. - Tuesday, March 26th, 10am to 2pm - Meridian Pint

6. ive debated going on with the cicerone program, being that i work in the industry now as a beertender and doing retail i know it wouldnt take me anything to pass the CBS exam, but my concern is whether or not it makes a difference in the sales world. My goal is to try to move to a sales rep position at a distributor. any one have info on that?

7. Your knowledge may be able to cut the mustard, but the guy hiring you doesn't know exactly what knowledge you have. That's why certifications exist. Put down the $69 bucks to prove what you've got and it makes hiring you a lot easier. On another note, if you are too lazy to pay $69 bucks and take a simple test, why would the employer want you?

8. I think the more pertinent question though is how recognized it is with specific distributors or brewers. I am a firm believer that the title will keep gaining traction and be make or break when applying for certain jobs.

9. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (550) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

I'm a sales rep at distributor and they paid for my exam and actually gave classes, so its something they would like you to have. It could hurt to have the test under your belt when you apply to set you apart. Even if you work at a big BMC wholesaler they still know there is a ton of $$ in the craft products they carry and will apprieate the knowledge.

10. If your credential isn't recognized by the hiring entity then you can use your interview time to educate them about your credential. That's good. The only reason to not take the test, if one can pass it easily, is laziness.