1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cigar City kills Hunahpu's Day, plans to distribute the beer next year

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Joseph Redner, Cigar City Brewing's founder and owner, announced to The Full Pint and their Facebook page that their highly popular, annual Hunahpu's Day Release Party is no more.
    Hunahpu's Imperial Stout (Imperial Stout - 11%)
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17981/47022/
    Backstory
    Check out these regional threads, video, and other sources for the backstory:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/cigar-city-brewing-hunahpus-day-march-8-2014.117839/
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/hunapocolypse-2014.159067/
    http://cltampa.com/potlikker/archiv...chaos-at-cigar-city-hunahpus-release-in-tampa
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Hunahpu's Day 2014

Save Hunahpu's Day!
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...y-positive-constructive-feedback-only.159833/

[I'm posting this in Beer News to avoid the scores of repeat links that are being posted in multiple threads/forums.]

2. I wrote off events like these a long time ago. The last straw was waiting in line for a beer and having to deal with the curt and inhospitable doorman who had an ear piece on (secret service mode) and the server inside talking shit on me to the table next to me. That's when I knew it was time to get russian to the next river.

I have better things to do with my life. (See picture to left!)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  3. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Savant (490) Indiana Mar 30, 2007

Cigar City didn't kill this. Jackasses and the general ass-hattery that is now craft beer killed it.

JohnB87, mtskier, yuichituba and 86 others like this.
  4. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Trust me, all of craft beer is not like this.

t420o, Zerric, dcs1548 and 39 others like this.
  5. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Haha, I must congratulate my 3000 friends when they get home on a job well done.

Yes, of course it was the plan to have Huna distributed now that we get Cigar City in NY again.:)

pjs234, Thickfreakness, ufmj and 17 others like this.
  6. Terrible to see what was a awesome event killed off.

mverity likes this.
  7. Wow. I'm sad that I never was able to make it. It's a great beer, and seeing it go into distribution is bittersweet. Given all that I read from both sides of the issue, I can't say I'm surprised. I don't really think this is the right move considering it all could be solved with tying tickets to IDs, hiring a private event coordinator, and enlisting the services of a private security company. Still, I understand where Redner is coming from. Truly, this was a clusterfuck on all levels and all sides.

pcarney8, Clint_Yoho and Bosoxfan20 like this.
  8. I understand the reaction, given the issues they encountered, but I think the best approach would be to do both an event and distro. If you can do something similar to Darkness Day in MN, I think it would help keep all parties happy. A reduced headcount at the event for all to enjoy, and the possibility to pick it up at your local bottle shop should you want to be more casual.

SStein, mmulebarn and AnalogErik like this.
  9. Bradthoc

Bradthoc Savant (250) Nevada Jan 26, 2011

Wow. What idiots these people look like... Hard to believe people feel the need to act this way, over a beer.

10. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Savant (445) Minnesota Jul 23, 2013

Surly has a similar "day" - Darkness Day - I went for the first time this last year and it was a blast. I did hear some people got shafted in line, but Surly produced enough that stores had TWO distributions. I actually passed on extra bottles this year. I think blending a STRONG local distribution with a good event will create the right blend.

But then again, florida.

edited - watching the backstory stuff

Bosoxfan20 likes this.
  11. rxeight

rxeight Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 5, 2012

All things that three floyds does to make sure dark lord day runs as smooth as possible.

12. Donco

Donco Savant (425) Pennsylvania Aug 12, 2013

Don't know how they handle that at Cigar City. But I think the way Founders did their KBS Release was fair and best as could be expected. Of course I was one of the lucky ones to get a ticket:rolleyes:
    Here's hoping that Hunahpu becomes more available for those of us here in the Northeast who rarely ever see this stuff.

cavedave likes this.
  13. CCB El Catador member here... very new to the scene and was my first Hunahpu Day. Could not believe the large quantity of idiot entitled hipster di**ead hoarders who cut in every line I was in, acted like total a-holes, and basically ruined it for the rest of us.

Fortunately got my bottles and got out about 30 minutes before they closed the door on the crowd. I love CCB and am thankful I only live a mile or two away from it... but this combination of VERY poor crowd management and system-scamming jack holes have killed a great thing.

Zaximus, Jdub2839, NonicPanic and 8 others like this.
  14. zid

zid Savant (430) New York Feb 15, 2010

It's rare that I would wait in line to buy beer and rarer still that I would pay money for the privilege of paying more money. Apparently, there is an overabundance of people who are the opposite.

A quote from an attendee from one of Todd's links: "I not only feel like I wasted $50 on your event, but airfare and hotel, Thx for the three hour line to get in and the two hour line to get three beers. You have no idea what a disaster you created."

If someone is even willing to spend the extra money on airfare and a hotel room for this... coming from God knows where, wouldn't it stand to reason to this person that demand is high enough that there would be a line? Give me a break. He's even forgetting to complain about the hours spent going through airport security.

Perhaps moments like this will weed out the consumers who gravitate to the less desirable aspects of the scene. Perhaps it will actually generate more desire instead.

Either way, Cigar City will weather the storm.

15. cavedave

To all those who are downcast about this, let me say that Captain Lawrence also had a shitshow at their last release at brewery. Now they distribute those beers, and I gotta say it has been such a pleasure to be able to buy them on shelf at my local store instead of freezing my ass off and waiting in a line full of drunks, and line cutters, and multiple ticket holders, then finally with angry folks who got shut out. This is a good thing.

16. cavedave

If you're talking about buying a plane ticket, renting a hotel room, buying a ticket to enable you to buy three beers, then standing in a 3 hour line to get the beers, you're right, they are idiots.

17. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Wisconsin Apr 14, 2013

"fairness" lmao. I'm glad some brewers are finally learning their lesson.

18. We just started getting cigar city stuff up in the VA area, so I'm excited that maybe a single case or two will make it to a local store that I frequent. They've gotten Jai Alai, White Cracker, and Dry Hopped on the High Seas so maybe they will be getting even more from them this time next year.

19. lowbit

lowbit Initiate (0) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2013

Bottom line is that CCB had a choice going forward between putting more time and effort into running an event, or putting that time and effort into brewing beer. They chose to put it into brewing beer.

20. Looks like they became victims of their own success. I'm curious if this may have something to do with the police and the city not wanting to deal with a possible riot situation next year considering the way people were acting.

Oh well, I guess it'll be nice to find this in NYC next year hopefully.

21. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

I hope, and think, they won't completely kill off any annual beer fest though. Understandable that Hunahpu Day has gotten way out of control and the exclusive bottle sales push it in that direction. But if they decided to still have some sort of annual beer fest with the kind of tap lists they have been producing, that would be just as good. I think balance is the key. Anytime you have one beer that is highlighted, people go nuts over it and things get ugly quickly. Having 200+ taps of rare beer from all over the country, with them all being sought after relatively equal, and doing away with timed releases would, in my mind, keep the craziness down a few notches.

H0p_Head, DrChadly and VonZipper like this.
  22. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (310) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

I wonder how Hunahpu's day would go sans the opportunity to purchase bottles. My guess is that it would be a lot calmer, as these "enthusiasts" wouldn't have the opportunity to hoard beers to place on craigslist once they got home.

23. Bradthoc

Bradthoc Savant (250) Nevada Jan 26, 2011

Luckily for these individuals, CCB wants to make it right. I'm hopeful those who didn't have the experience they paid for are compensated fairly.

24. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

In addition, the upside of this is that this is making a statement for the industry, despite the people acting foolishly, that the demand nowadays for craft beer is so high that consumers are drinking breweries dry. Mr. Redner, in the end, can take that away from this as one of the positive things. I doubt he envisioned such a demand and popularity for his beer four short years ago. It's actually rather impressive when you think about it.

pjkelley82 likes this.
  25. PhiGam25

PhiGam25 Aficionado (130) Florida Dec 19, 2010

Rest in Peace Hunahpu's Day. That was my third and sadly my last. I've had a great time at all of them. It truly is sad that a few bad apples ruined the whole bunch.

NonicPanic and mjmcdonough73 like this.
  26. Initially Cigar City, via the Catador Club, was going to tie the Huna tickets to your name/ID. However, apparently after a lot of complaining, they reversed course just a day later and said that you transfer your ticket to anyone. What they obviously didn't do is institute any semblance of ticket scanning, which absolutely blows my mind. My guess is that they were simply too trusting, but if you've seen the way the craft beer is changing at these events, there is an abundance of self-entitled, inconsiderate jackasses, so that wasn't a good idea.

I also think this is a knee-jerk reaction to what happened. I understand the root cause of the issue is that there are a lot of previously mentioned "self-entitled, inconsiderate jackasses", but Cigar City has to understand that up front, and they have to organize their event better. First of all, if they're going to allow transferable tickets, then they obviously need to scan each ticket. They also need to manage the lines better to avoid cutting. I think that would have eliminated most of their issues with those simple fixes, albeit that judgement is based on not actually having been there, but rather reading about the aftermath.

27. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (220) California Aug 30, 2007

Damn Florida. I have seen Scarface so I know how you guys roll. But damn. It's probably for the best though. All those people acting like D-Bags would have just been disapointed because "The beer was so much better last year".

mrhartounian, Duff27 and JCam9981 like this.
  28. cavedave

Ruined? You are in Florida. Next year you can walk into a store and buy it, same as I can do now for Captain Lawrence special releases. Trust me, for you this is a blessing.

29. Have you still not figured it out? It's not about the beer.

30. heatwaves

heatwaves Savant (285) California Oct 17, 2009

There are entitled jackasses at every event you'll go to - sporting events, concerts, state fairs, etc. -- but if the venues aren't organized to handle the event, this is the unfortunate result.

31. HRamz3

HRamz3 Advocate (630) Pitcairn Feb 9, 2010

Draft only, no growlers. That will eliminate the d-bags.

sunnrider likes this.
  32. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Savant (445) Minnesota Jul 23, 2013

My favorite at Darkness Day were the people with multiple wristbands. You were supposed to only get one timeslot, and 4-6 bottles. We saw numerous people walking out with 12+... One guy had wristbands for 6 different time slots and said he planned to go in all 6 times for the max allotment. Who would want to spend $700 on one kind of beer?

33. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Savant (430) Illinois Feb 26, 2011

Don't feel too bad, beer advocates. Counterfeit tickets, secret lines, and near riots happen at wine events all the time.

34. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Who's really surprised that this happened ? Inevitable IMO. Going to a lottery system would stop it.

ChanChan and cavedave like this.
  35. cavedave

It's about hanging out with bored, wealthy, entitled, self important, out of state, craft beer noobs with bad attitudes?

Like I said, better off letting them spend their money ruining someone else's business plan in some other state, while Floridians can now get great beer easily off the shelf at local stores.

36. ryman546

ryman546 Zealot (85) Florida Dec 21, 2013

The event was complete mayhem. At one point a fight broke out in line because of people cheating their way forward. Also they told everyone to not show upearly....worst idea ever. Hunahpoopoo was opened at 1pm and gone in 15 minutes. Still had a great time though and im sad to see it come to a end. Favorites i got to try were rum white oak pineapple, jabanero mango, and new belgium loves leopold

37. Never said I understood what it *is* about...just what it's obviously not about. For the life of me, I can't figure out what people are doing traveling 1000s of miles and spending 1000s of dollars at these things.

dedbeer, bushycook, raffels and 8 others like this.
  38. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

This is fine with me. Release events suck, IMO. Driving/flying for hours, waiting in line for hours, and then paying a premium for the privilege to do it all... Too many fat bearded sweaty hipsters with questionable hygiene for my tastes, and watching the dill-holes at the front of the line with everyone from their wife/girlfriend to their brother-in-law's gardener in line with them to help them mule. Screw that noise. I went to one beer release and quickly realized it wasn't my scene.

A release-only beer is now being pushed into distro. That's great news to me.

39. ryman546

ryman546 Zealot (85) Florida Dec 21, 2013

Thousand of miles is dumb. 100 miles so that I can get beers from out west...worth it.

40. I went the last 2 years, thankfully not this year based on what I'm reading. Sorry to those who got screwed over. You'd think a big brewery like CCB would be able to figure out a crowd management issue or rent a better space to hold the event. Sad to see Huna day go, but figured it would come to something like this at somepoint.