1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Cigar City now available in VT

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by zgunder, Jan 3, 2013.

1. zgunder

zgunder Aficionado (205) Vermont Sep 20, 2010

Jai Alai and Maduro just hit Woodstock Hops and Barley. Cans!

franklinn likes this.
  2. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (280) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

When the Marshal and his komrades establish a base there too I'll pay them a visit.

BAstoutsNsours and Dizbro21 like this.
  3. Had it on draft the day after Christmas at Pro Pig.

4. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (280) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

To clarify, when I can haul the Marshal and his komrades back to Mass. in body bags, I will pay them a visit ;)

jglowe77 likes this.
  5. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Savant (370) Vermont Sep 25, 2010

Any idea which distributor CCB is under?

6. Grassroots I'm assuming...they've been around for a bit on draft but nothing consistent so we shall see if we actually get regular bottle/can shipments, maybe Grassroots can chime in?

7. Couldn't care less about new IPAs into Vermont, but I'm excited for the Maduro, a really nice brown ale. Here's hoping to see the Tocobago red, a tasty 7% hoppy red.

8. dunix

dunix Savant (460) Vermont Jan 26, 2011

I'd assume the same thing. Hopefully CCB will be on the retail shelf @ HF.

9. Picked up a bottle of CC Bolita Brown in NY over Thanksgiving...glad to see more around here.

10. And the rich get richer...:(

Horbar, franklinn and smutty33 like this.
  11. Damn you VT, why does it seem like everything is better up there!

12. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (230) New York Apr 25, 2009

How is this now completely avoiding NY area in terms of distribution? Daddy needs him some Jai Alai.

13. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (540) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

'Cause it is... except maybe for the 18 below reading this morning. Of course before our liquor laws changed a few years ago, hordes of Vermonters headed to MA or NY to buy beer every weekend. The speed at which the tables have turned makes my head spin (or is that the beer?...).

franklinn and deanhead like this.
  14. Id take the 18 below for your beer...but then I walk a for an hour total every day to and from work, so might not be the best idea.

15. Huh? I've picked up Cigar City beer in NY state numerous times in the past few years. Has something changed that I've missed?

16. Hasn't been shipped (other than a few odd kegs here and there) for over a year. Pushing 2 maybe.

17. I was buying a ton of beer in MA, NY & Quebec back then. When I showed a year's worth of cash register receipts to the Legislative Committee that was considering the bill to finally up VT's archaic ABV cap of 8%, they saw how much tax they were losing out on and got very interested in the lost revenue. All the stuff I used to buy out-of-state is now available here, thanks to the efforts of a lot people lobbying at the Statehouse in 2008.

jamvt, smutty33, Auror and 1 other person like this.
  18. moose3285

moose3285 Aficionado (245) Florida Jul 19, 2007

So does this mean we get HF down here in CCB land now? :rolleyes:

DanimalFL likes this.
  19. Shaun Hill was at those meetings - getting state law changed to allow farmstead breweries. As a self-distributing brewer, he will maintain control of where his beer shows up, and how much. That was his plan from the start, I seem to recall. Who knew it would become so popular?

05Harley likes this.
  20. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

Bevy in Winooski has Maduro - out of Jai Lai.

21. Perfect that it's distributed in VT & barely available. Will fit right in. :eek:)

Stormfield likes this.
  22. zgunder

zgunder Aficionado (205) Vermont Sep 20, 2010

There were about 4-5 cases of Jai Alai at healthy living in burlington at noon today.

23. Picked up 3 sixers of Jai Alai at Hunger Mtn Co Op Friday night. $9.99 for a sixer of cans. First time trying that beer and I am in love.

24. pjl44

pjl44 Initiate (0) Massachusetts Oct 3, 2008

I was on Long Island in May/June and hauled back a bunch of Cigar City stuff. Zhukov, Guava Grove, Bolita, amongst others.

25. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (230) New York Apr 25, 2009

I cannot understand how people find this on LI or in random places in the city, I have the same distributor (and contacted the brewery) and have been shut out on seeing any of it for the better part of 2 years now. So jealous.

26. Great point. Even though NH does not have sales tax on beer, I believe the brewers or distributors are taxed. I'd love to see some folks in that state (maybe even in the legislature) show their receipts or share their beer-buying habits to legislators and push for distribution regulations more on-par with neighboring states like Vermont and Mass.

27. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Jai Alai is a truly unique IpA IMHO. Maduro and Tocobaga are both great too but definitely give Jai Alai a shot. It's unlike any beer I have had before. It "tastes like Florida" to me. Grapefruit and a wet juicy mouthfeel.