1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

cigar city question

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by crusian, Dec 7, 2012.

1. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

Can anyone tell me why Leon and church are in such demand, commanding such high trade value and imperial sweet stout cognac barrel aged is not? The latter has better reviews and about the same bottle count Iirc.
  2. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

Barrel aged barleywines naturally command higher value than BA milk stouts in the world of BA in terms of trading. We all know taste doesn't play that big of a roll in trading. See Bourbon County Cherry Rye. Most barleywines hold up better to barrel aging than a typical milk stout would as well. There are a lot of factors that add up to it. I definitely wont make sense, but it's the world we live in.
    cfh64 and HopsJunkiedotcom like this.
  3. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

I just think the fact that Leon is a Barley Wine aged in apple brandy barrels is why it is becoming so sought after. Shit, if i had the ammo for it id offer up a trade for it. It sounds incredible
  4. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

The better question would be why is Moat Water so overlooked? Best beer I've had from CC all year.
  5. bebbcorp

bebbcorp Aficionado (215) Kansas Mar 6, 2010

I am confused by the question because I don't know much about cigar city. I will say this though I had Cigar City Jai Alai Cedar aged and it tickled my fancy just as it needed to be tickled.
    bobbidylan and fmccormi like this.
  6. crusian

K. Thanks.
    bebbcorp likes this.
  7. crusian

I had it right after the imperial sweet. It was so thin. Had it later and it was good, but nothing like the sweet stout.
    Duff27 and cavedave like this.
  8. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (550) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I am as perplexed as u! It's like in high school, who decided who was popular and why!?!? Many times it just does not make sense. This just means more for u for the brews u enjoy!!
  9. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

Yeah man, just date the unpopular girl. She's probably just as good in bed, and might even let you get away with a little bit more ;)
  10. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (550) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

True dat!!!!
  11. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Highschool, good in bed...
    franklinn and GrindFatherBob like this.
  12. maximum12

maximum12 Advocate (735) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

I hate to bring up such a forbidden subject but: taste.

BA Church on a Hill is the best new beer I've had the pleasure to have this year. Others opinions could certainly vary, but I'd trade for tons of it in a heartbeat if I could get it.

The others are delicious but not on the same elite level as BA Church, at least to my palate. I'd agree with the comments about barleywines commanding a higher level of attention a couple people noted above.
  13. Imp Sweet Stout was amazing. Period.
    Duff27, ncaudle and cavedave like this.
  14. crusian

I covered taste. The sweet stout gets better reviews.
  15. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Florida Jun 24, 2010

That it was, but I'm still gonna say Leon is better
  16. M1A2

M1A2 Savant (425) Ohio Jan 15, 2012

Lets keep that on the down low, it not a very good beer;).
  17. Haven't had it, but it sounds like a recipe for success
    /pun intended
    yeah, that beer was pretty terrible... ;)
    M1A2 likes this.
  18. I can't speak for the Leon and Church (both of which I'd like to try) but the Imperial Sweet is awesome. I could drink that for days. I think I'd have to agree that barleywines are just in high demand but that sweet stout is certainly being overlooked.

Also the unpopular girl would always blow your mind. Ahhh the good old days...
    franklinn likes this.
  19. manutdfan

manutdfan Initiate (0) Florida May 25, 2012

Moat water is my beer of the year as welll, down to my last 2 bottles
  20. huskermike12

huskermike12 Savant (435) Iowa Nov 14, 2011

I've had all three and despite the reviews it's not nearly as good as BACOAH, and Leon is slightly better IMO. Plus, it seems like a lot more of the sweet stout hit the trading forums.
    franklinn likes this.
  21. crusian

22. I had Leon and the sweet stout recently back to back and currently, the sweet stout is drinking much better. However, given some time, Leon will probably turn into a awesome and possibly better beer.
  23. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

What are you basing that prediction on? Does it have flavors which need time to mesh? Too much alcohol heat which time might diminish? Is it too estery? Too hoppy? Unbalanced? How do you expect time to improve the beer?

Time will definitely change a beer, but there's no guarantee that time will improve a beer.
  24. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

Silly Beer Advocates....taste mattering? Ha. Now you are just talking logical speak. Continue the madcrazyhypeyo train.
    maximum12 likes this.
  25. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

The Sweet Stout was the best beer I had this year. It was the second highest rating I have given any beer. I would bet my last dollar there will never be a Milk Stout, Imperial or otherwise, better than this one. It is in a class of its own.

And the opinion that a BA BW is gonna be more popular than a Milk Stout, no matter how good, is right on the money.
    benjaminahudson, cfh64 and franklinn like this.
  26. I thought it was hot and like you said, just kindof rough. I think the flavors will mesh better with some age. Obviously this is all my opinion, do I am kindof basing it on personal taste but The people I tried it with felt the same way.
  27. crusian

glad to hear you liked it so much! :)
    cavedave likes this.
  28. crusian

Now ranked #1 milk/sweet stout. That was fast.
    cavedave likes this.
  29. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Fast and completely unsurprising.

How they made a sweet stout to be so clean and drinkable at that level of alcohol and with those vibrant and astoundingly delicious flavors is beyond me. It requires a level of skill I hope to achieve in my own brewing and probably will never approach.