1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cigars & Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by damngoode, Oct 26, 2012.

1. damngoode

damngoode Savant (305) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

For the most part, I think cigars kill your pallet and ruin your tasting abilities, but lately, I've had a few pleasant experiences, most recently with a Makers Mark cigar and a BA Frog's Hollow Pumpkin beer from Hoppin frog. I used to drink a fair amount of bourbon and enjoyed it with a cigar. Does anyone do cigar-beer pairings?
  2. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

I agree, although I think the initial drink is the worst and the pallet adjust after a few sips.
    Bigger the beer the better with a cigar IMO.
  3. MrDanno96

MrDanno96 Savant (370) Ohio Aug 26, 2009

I've had some success pairing cigars and barrel aged beers, but any other kind of beer can't really hold up to the effects of the cigar on your palate, IMO. Since BA beers are usually rare and expensive, I tend to enjoy them on their own and save my hard liquor for pairing with cigars.
  4. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

All the time!!! IPA's, double IPA's, Imperial Stouts, lagers, almost everything!!! Yes, cigars will initially wreck your palate so I don't recommend you smoke a cigar when you are trying new beers!
    Genuine and tolar111 like this.
  5. tboom

tboom Disciple (50) Ohio Sep 3, 2010

They also go well with the smokey scotch ales
  6. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,050) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Cigar and smokin tobacco is just far too heavy and cutting for brew, my personal feeling is you would want something intensely alcohol forward and thick (for beer) to drink (think large stout, barleywine) to cut through the palate.

Cigar smoking particularly keens on large robust alcohol akin to things like large port wine, whiskey (all varieties. distinctions).

I am by no means a big smoker at all, but I will have a decent cigar/cigarillo on a very rare occasion.

That's my two cents.

I would think a beer to try with a cigar would be:

Bourbon County
    Marshall Zhukov
    DF - World wide stout
    stouts in the same vein... what is your fav is your opinion... try em all!!!

A mild one could maybe consider a Schlenkerla offering particularly an Eiche Doppelbock

If you want you could try to contrast sweetness. And since smoke and ash is so big for a cigar, I would go for a contrast and recommend beers I don't recommend for just simple consumption. Blackwater series of Southern Tier with their big sugary profiles and particularly their sweetness (think Mocha, BackBurner, maybe even Creme brulee) could really through your cigar puffin in a new light maybe pulling some sweetness out of your leaf.

Just an opinion, I am not a big smoker, I do like a real good cig, but I don't smoke often, but somehow these things pop in my head, and I think they just make an avenue worth exploring.

Enjoy!

If you try these let me know how they go! There's lots of good brew to explore this cig avenue!

Oh and jeezz, how could I forget..

Big friggin Scotch/Wee Heavy with a cig... give it a go too! Cheers!
  7. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

Swisher Sweets and Bud Light are the way to go... if you want to wake up hating your life
    kpodolanko, KS1297, tpaetow and 9 others like this.
  8. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (490) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Drinking this now and wish I had time for a cigar!

[​IMG]
  9. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Savant (425) Michigan Jan 27, 2012

This, but with Black and Milds. My stomach turns just smelling those things unlit anymore.
    robinsmv likes this.
  10. I prefer my cigars with a strong stout or ale. Preferably 10% abv and up.

Montecristo #2 and Vietnamese Speedway, excellent pairing.

[​IMG]
  11. Ballin'.
  12. I sometimes do beer and cigars, usually a not rare but high abv stout or scotch ale, but 95% of the time i drink bourbon when i light up.
    basickness and freeride like this.
  13. I had a CAO Brazilian with a Black Butte XXIII and it was amazing
  14. obrike

obrike Savant (415) Texas Jun 19, 2009

Here's what I did on my last trip to Puerto Rico...when in Rome...

[​IMG]
  15. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

For me they don't go together. Its one or the other. If you want to enjoy an amazing beer, don't smoke. If you want to enjoy a delicious cigar, ignore the beer. I do enjoy mixing the two but never with a beer I've never had before or couldn't get with ease. The cigar definitely makes the beer secondary in my opinion. My recent pairings:

Rocky Patel 1990 Vintage + Sixpoint Autumnation
    [​IMG]

Arturo Fuente Hemingway + DFH Punkin
    [​IMG]

Avo corona + Samuel Smith Yorkshire Stingo
    [​IMG]
    FalconOne and Tilley4 like this.
  16. Best beer i've paired to a cigar so far is CCB Imperial Sweet Stout Aged In Cognac Barrels, not only did it pair well with the cigar it kept up in every way.
    BulletproofBA and Hopsiam14 like this.
  17. sind310

sind310 Aficionado (175) California Nov 15, 2011

I just posted something similar earlier. Copy and paste:
    What cigar can I pair with Black Xantus - Nectar Ales http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17963/53256? I have a bottle of each 10, 11 & 12. If you haven't tried it, it is VERY similar to Black Tuesday. I know cigars are better paired with whiskey or BA beers, but this is a gift and I know this person isn't into whiskey and prefers stouts.

I went to a ciagr shop to ask for information, but they knew nothing about beer and I didn't want to purchase any cigar. After reading a few post, should I ask for a milder cigar for this type of beer?
  18. Anybody saying cigars wreck your palate with beer is way off track. It's all about proper pairing gentlemen. You want to find a commonality betwixt a cigar and a beer to maximize your enjoyment from both. If you can find a cigar with similar notes to a beer you love - especially with similar body - you will prep your palate to decipher more nuances in the flavor profiles of both.

Stick to medium-full to full bodied Nicaraguan stogies with your stouts, porters, and Scottish ales as the coffee and chocolate notes run parallel as standards for the types, and the body is often fuller with Nicaraguan blends. The Man-O-War Ruination or Armada is great for most Russian Imperials, along with the DC Maximus, Casa Magna Colorado, La Sirena, Perdomo Patriarch, Ashton VSG, Cain, etc. The Hoyo Dark Sumatra would do nicely here as well.

There are a number of medium bodied blends that lend well to some of those flavors as well, or to Strong Ales and the like. Personally, I'd like a nice Cameroon with a strong ale or barleywine. La Aurora Cameroon, or even their 1495 series (not all those wrappers are cameroon though, so some of this line can be applied above) along with the Perdomo Cabinet if you can get one. Also, the La Traviata from CAO could work very well because of its dessert quality. Very buttery which could lend well to strong ales or wheat wines. Again, the Dark Sumatra will be brought in because of the sweetness. Here I also must throw in the Fuente Hemingway or the Avo Heritage.

For IPAs and DIPAs you want something to punch you in the face. Not necessarily with strength, but bold, sharp flavor. Something floral perhaps. A good cedar lit cigar with some age on it. Fuente Between the Lines, Gran Habano 3 Siglo, Fuente Queen B (Cuban Belicoso). I might even like the Casa Magna or Oliva Serie V here for the peppery qualities. I don't know why, but Honduran tobacco has a note to it that tangs the palate similarly to the hoppy bitterness of these brews. You could probably even do a Punch Uppercut here, or some of the Hoyo Excallibur Series.

Coming down a little to Saisons, Kolschs, and Wheat Beers, is where we'll hit our lighter cigars. The Perdomo Champagne is a great saison pair. Here's where you can bring in a lot of your Macanudos, Monte Cristos, and so on. Kristoff would even do well here, namely the Ligero and Brittania. I'd even bring in an Ashton VSG and a Fuente Hemingway. We could also bring in a CAO America.

Granted, I didn't cover all cigars or beer styles, but you can see the trend. Find similar flavor/body profiles and match. It's a fun gig to do, and I have actually done a tasting or two at a local cigar shop with cigars and beer.

Cheers and good smoking to you BA's.
    Scrapss, Tamarack22, GaToWyo and 6 others like this.
  19. dcloeren

dcloeren Savant (450) Texas Sep 15, 2010

Well said!

One of my favorite pairings in the cooler months is a Man O War Ruination with DFH Palo Santo. I recently had this cigar with a 2012 BCBS and it was phenomenal!
    Reinbeck11 likes this.
  20. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Savant (325) Iowa Aug 15, 2012

Wonderful its 7am and the kids are gonna wake up to the smell of a Padron 5000 and Dad starting in early on some Oaked Arrogant Bastard.

Today is gonna be a good day...
  21. loki993

loki993 Aficionado (240) Michigan Apr 16, 2009

What kind of cigar is that?
  22. Stouts, Porters and a Good Maduro!
    Tilley4 and nickmcc like this.
  23. I spend every Friday night on my porch with a book, a cigar and a big, heavy beer fit for sipping. I'm not too well-versed on pairing beer and cigars, but I've found an imperial stout or something similar always works well with a good cigar, and one doesn't ruin the enjoyment of the other.
    KS1297 likes this.
  24. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

I cant say I have the palate for a cigar and a beer. For some reason everytime I have a cigar my tongue hates me. So I mainly keep it to Makers/Gentleman Jack or some brandy with a cigar.

Cheers!
    afrokaze likes this.
  25. A few weeks ago in Bamberg at the Aecht Schlenkerla brewery for the annual Urbock release party:
    [​IMG]

Yeah, that was about as good as it gets.
  26. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (380) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

27. StogiesNSuds

StogiesNSuds Zealot (80) New York Sep 24, 2009

That's one of the fakest Cohibas I've seen in a while. Sorry to have to break it to you. Hope you didn't pay a lot for it.

Great thread! The advice on here has been very solid. Matching bodies rule is a good rule of thumb and a good place to start. Cigars are tough, in general, to pair with because, for most people, cigars are a new, unique thing and so they have not developed their palate. Cigars definitely don't ruin your palate, unless they are bad, poorly constructed cigars that use bad, poorly cared for tobacco.

When pairing cigars and beer (this also applies to spirits), I always try to pay attention to whether the smoke is changing the beer, or the beer is affecting the smoke. To make it easier, I recommend smoking a cigar that you've smoked before, so you know its flavor profile. Or if you are trying to pair a new smoke, start with a beer you are familiar with.
    Scrapss, doomXsaloon and Grohnke like this.
  28. loki993

loki993 Aficionado (240) Michigan Apr 16, 2009

I was going to wait until he actually confirmed it, but yeah if that was actually supposed to be a Cohiba that's hands down the worst band I've ever seen on one.
    Grohnke likes this.
  29. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Any answer other than a Black & Mild paired with an OE forty is incorrect.
    KS1297, basickness and Dools9 like this.
  30. Highbrow

Highbrow Savant (475) California Jan 7, 2011

subject has come up before. my limited experience says be cautious particularly with trying to match strength against strength. the objective is for the results to be complimentary rather than competing. this was last night's pairing in preparation for game 2 of the series:

[​IMG]
    doomXsaloon and cavedave like this.
  31. How about Backwoods and King Cobra?!
    Dools9 likes this.
  32. obrike

obrike Savant (415) Texas Jun 19, 2009

To be honest...i don't remember...maybe someone here will recognize it.
  33. dckepley

dckepley Savant (330) Iowa Aug 13, 2006

I personally stay way from IPAs and cigars. The cigar make the beer super bitter...in a bad way. If I try to pair the two again, I'd stick with everyone's advice.
  34. Tilley4

Tilley4 Advocate (520) Tennessee Nov 13, 2007

I had an Alec Bradley Prensado with a Schlafly Pumpkin 2 nights ago and I almost cried when it was gone... I love cigars with beer but I don't usually have one if its my first time drinking that particular beer.... except a couple of weeks ago I had a Romeo y Julieta with my only bottle of Parabola... truly sublime!
  35. lester619

lester619 Savant (325) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2009

It deffinately changes the tastes of both the beer and the cigar. It's up to you to decide if either one is a better expiriance together or separate. As for pairings, a 5 Vegas classic and a SN Pale Ale have never let me down.
  36. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

CCB Humidor Jai Alai and any cigar that has been near cedar. OMG!!!
    BulletproofBA likes this.
  37. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

I had a beer/cigar tasting at my house this summer. Here are some beers that tasted very good once the cigars were busted out:

Chocolate Rain b2
    Cognac Church on a Hill
    Dark Dark Goose
    Courage
    BA Naked Evil b2
  38. dcloeren

dcloeren Savant (450) Texas Sep 15, 2010

I have a box pressed torpedo My Father Le Bijou 1922 that I think I am going to bust out tonight for the first "cold" night of the season. Having a hard time deciding between BBA Stout or a BBA Barleywine... I guess it will be a game time decision.
    joepais likes this.
  39. OStrungT

OStrungT Savant (490) California Jun 6, 2004

I dont mix cigars and beer, but I really enjoy smoking hookah when I drink. I can sit there for hours smoking coffee flavored hookah tobacco when drinking a stout or porter. I like orange when I drink IPA.
    Potatocrawler likes this.
  40. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Last get together we paired Ramon Bueso Genesis and Kuhnhenn 4d and it was off the charts amazing.

Need a cigar to stand up to and amplify a big beer. Many times it doesn't work, but when it does it is like some kind of freakish taste nirvana.
    Highbrow likes this.