1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cioppino

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by LoPo87, Jan 15, 2013.

1. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

So decided to start making a nice homeade cioppino. Got clams, mussels, cod, and calimari going in it. What would be a really nice pairing with a dish like this? We were going to just have some red wine with it but I am in the mood for a nice brew. Flanders Red? Sour? Any ideas would be great as I am not a big cook, and typically don't get too fancy with my beer pairings. Thanks!

2. There are a lot of ways you could go with that. I think a full on sour might be a bit too acidic and bracing for cioppino. There's something about sours and tomato sauce that personally just doesn't do it for me. However, I think lightly sour could work. I envision a nice Gose fitting well there. I think the best pairing with most red-sauce dishes, though, is Ommegang's Rare Vos.

LoPo87 likes this.
  3. LoPo87

Good to know, thanks!

4. Rob-P

Rob-P Aficionado (125) Iowa Feb 29, 2012

I made this recently for the first time and it was a lot of work to make, but pretty fun and ended up tasting very good. I'm no big time chef either.

I probably have a little more experience pairing wine with it, but I still think you want to maintain a decent level of acidity and keep the alcohol relatively low. When I was researching online, I saw someone recommend Anchor Steam, but I don't think I've had Anchor Steam in 5 years so I don't know how that would match up. I'm guessing it was recommended due to the San Francisco connection of the two. I had a lindeman's cuvee rene gueze a few weeks ago that may have been a pretty good pairing.

If you think about it, post what you end up choosing because I'm interested to know what you choose and how it works.

5. LoPo87

Last night we ended up going with a bottle Wellington Estate Reserve Zinfandel 2007. Couldn't decide on a beer but went with that to keep the lady happy. We made plenty for 3 or 4 meals so I will be trying a beer with it tonight. Will let you know for sure.

6. Vertical Epic 10/10/10

7. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Did that zin overwhelm the dish at all? I feel a good American Pale Ale would go well with cioppino

8. LoPo87

I don't think it did honestly. It wasn't too acidic which was very nice. It wasn't quite a full bodied zin. It was smoth and crisp which I think was a positive with the dish.

9. a bit of a side track.... but when you get a chance.... mind forwarding a link to the recipe or a breif run down? I've been thinking about throwing a Cioppino together (I say throw it together like it is that easy!). But ya, Id love to get a nice pot going to sooth the amount I miss the bay.

10. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (505) Missouri May 11, 2012

Do a google search, there are a million variations and styles. I have a Martin Yan cookbook with a Chinese version in it even

11. LoPo87

Yea we ended up blending two recipes together. They were:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/cioppino-recipe/index.html
    and
    http://americanfood.about.com/od/classicchowdersandstews/r/cioppino.htm

As far as tweaks are concerned, we left out crab but added calimari. We didn't use Fennel. We ended up using about 3.5 cups of Fish Stock and a bottle of clam juice. As far as the order of cooking and adding things, we used Giada's prep order. When the broth was the perfect flavor and it was time to add the fish, we used our own order recommended by the fish monger. We started with the clams, mussels, and shrimp. After 5 minutes the shellfish opened properly and we added the halibut and then added the calimari a minute later to be sure it wouldnt overcook. About 5 or 6 minutes total on the fish when we took the pot off the stove. There was just two of us eating it and it probably made enough for about 8 full bowl portions which was great.

4kbrianb likes this.
  12. Sounds absolutely perfect if you ask me. Thanks for the tip buddy, I appreciate it! the best part is, my wife is a vegi... so I never have to share this greatness.

13. Another option would be a farmhouse style beer or a table beer (Upright Four). Those beers pair well with everything and far as a complienting food goes normally not much for contrasting beer.

14. mfdish

mfdish Aficionado (120) Nevada Oct 30, 2011

I'd go with a Gose or a nice Wit... Mussels steamed in Wit are super, so I would assume it'd be great with cioppino as well