1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

CISMONTANE MESA?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by drewone, Mar 7, 2013.

1. drewone

drewone Advocate (730) California Sep 18, 2006

Anyone try it? Saw it today but was very unsure on the style to price ratio - curious to hear reports on it though.

Here's what it said on the bottle:

The Mesa- A new school testament to the tradition of brewing beer with grapes. It is a blend of 25% Santa Lucia highland Riesling from Mer Soleil Vineyard and 75% Pilsner from Cismontane. This beer is brewed entirely with Nelson Sauvin hops. Soured with Lactobacillus to enhance the natural grape acidity and fermented with a blend of wine and beer yeast. This process highlights the flavors that beer and wine have in common. The collaboration beer made by longtime friends Charlie Wagner and Evan Weinberg.
    6% ABV IBU N/A

2. robL

robL Savant (250) California Oct 22, 2010

Doesn't sound like my cup of tea, but I'd be willing to give it a try. Their other premium offerings, Black's Nocturne and Oso, were phenomenal IMO.

What was the price and where did you see it?

3. Destral

Destral Savant (330) Nevada Oct 20, 2009

The riesling really comes through on this. The only thing I can think of to compare it to would be Noble Rot, but this was much more flavorful. The lacto did not seem to sour it very much.

4. I saw this down in SD for Churchill's weekend. It sounds very interesting.

5. drewone

Beverage Warehouse - about $16 for a 750. They had about 12 bottles.

6. drewone

BTW - a cool minimalist label, nothing compared to the 12oz labels, which I laugh about every time I see one.

robL and vurt like this.
  7. The blacks nocturne was pretty good. Had the oso on the release weekend and thought meh at best. The cask of holy jim falls was the best thing they had on tap that day

8. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Had this beer last night. Pretty weird...no clue why they chose Riesling instead of something dryer. Tasted a bit like Noble Rot, just not as good. The wine killed the complexity of the hops in the beer and left an overwhelming sweetness and thick mouthfeel that didn't do it any favors.

Didn't finish the bottle. Other beers from Cismontane have been "meh" as well - I won't be seeking more out, especially at that price point.

9. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Saw this in Whole Foods, but passed since I didn't really like the only other beer I've had from them (Holy Jim Falls). May pick it up if it gets somewhat good reviews.

10. jtmartino

Did you try Noble Rot? Because this is very, very similar, and not as good.

11. litheum94

No. We just recently got distro in my area (northern CA), and Holy Jim is all I've tried. I will keep my eyes open for that one.

12. jtmartino

Noble Rot was from Dogfish Head. The Cismontane claims it uses souring bugs, but I didn't taste anything sour outside of the white whine characteristic. It definitely needs to be more sour IMO since the Riesling is thick and sweet.

Some people may love it. I appreciate white wine, but I prefer mine tart, citrusy and a little dry.

I'm with you on their beers though - not a huge fan of the 5 or so I've tried so far.

13. litheum94

I know Noble Rot is from DFH. I just thought you meant they had a beer from the same name. Thought that was a little fishy....I've never really had non-sour white wine beers. I'll have to keep in mind to not compare it to Temptation.

14. jtmartino

Haha, there is absolutely no comparison :)

litheum94 likes this.