1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Citra/Chinook combo?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by honkey, Jan 23, 2013.

1. honkey

honkey Savant (260) Alabama Aug 28, 2010

Anybody here used these hops together and liked your results? I am brewing a DIPA tomorrow and I have Chinook, Cascade, Citra, CTZ, Crystal, and Magnum all on hand. I've kind of overdone the Cascade/Citra and CTZ/Cascade combos lately. I was thinking of a 3:1 Citra:Chinook ratio at 20, 10, and flameout with Magnum for bittering. Any thoughts?

2. Sounds good to me. I might choose the CTZ for bittering and save the Magnum for something that needs cleaner bittering, but I don't think that should make a ton of difference.

3. Never tried it. I just brewed a Cascade/Amarillo/Citra APA on Monday. 4 oz each Cascade and Amarillo, 2 oz Citra. Unfortunately, that's all the Citra I had left, but it's a little more potent than the others, so I'm hopeful that it won't be lost. I plan to dry hop it with a couple ounces of Cascade and/or Amarillo. I was tempted to dry hop it with Simcoe, but I'm afraid that might create a disconnect between taste and aroma. Chinook might work. Now I'm confused!

4. Do 2:1 Chinook:Citra.

Gotta’ be the ultimate hop combo (I'm guessing). My best IPA yet was Simcoe/Citra/Chinook, but I feel like it would have been even better without the Simcoe. And Simcoe is my favorite of the three….

I feel like if one were to make a Venn Diagram (sp?) of Citra and Chinook, the middle part essentially makes Simcoe. Bear with me: Tropical/ melon/ apricot/ catty/ orange citrus on the Citra side and pine/spice/pepper/wood/citrus pith on the Chinook side overlap for all of the great flavors found in Simcoe… but with more kick all the way around.

Ya dig?

FWIW, it is the IPA I have lined up next.

Also, Oldsock made a Session Vienna IPA with Citra and Chinook IIRC.

5. Bay01 likes this.
  6. honkey

Thanks guys... Here is my recipe.

88% 2- Row
    4% Carapils
    4% Sucrose
    2% Caramel 30
    2% Caramel 80

Mash- 152
    OG- 1.074
    FG- 1.012
    Batch size is 55 Gallons

16 oz Magnum @ 60 minutes (75 IBU)
    24 oz Citra/Chinook (2:1) at 20 Minutes (55 IBU)
    24 oz Citra/Chinook at 10 minutes (35 IBU)
    24 oz Citra/Chinook at KO
    32 oz Dry Hop Citra/Chinook (1:1)

American Ale Yeast

7. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (435) Texas Nov 21, 2008

I would brew a smaller batch to test the recipe. Personally, I don't think I'd love that beer (recipe above). I think you need a "bright" hops to balance you danker varieties of Citra and Chinook. Amarillo is obviously a great choice if you can get any. If not, centennial and/or cascade are good.

8. I don't think you'll get much from the 20 and 10 minute additions. You could move the 20 minute hops to a second dry hop dose, and still be maxed out on IBUs. I also tend to go lighter on the crystal malt for IPAs. Good luck!

9. The Ruthless Rye clone, in last months BYO, lists a combo of Magnum, Chinook, and Citra, with Bravo for bittering. Ruthless Rye is one of my favorite commercial IPAs, so I think your recipe should be good.

10. I just did a Pale Ale with Chinook in the boil and dry hopped with Citra. I really enjoy how it turned out.

11. I don't go for 20min additions. Fwh for bitterness, 15 min for spicy flavor and body, k/o for fruitiness, and DH for the more floran or "hoppy" aromatics. I skip the 15 min sometimes if I'm looking for a cleaner or fruiter hop profile or if I'm using crystal malts. In this one I would nix the c80 and move the 20 min to 15.

Also, at 20 OR 15, or anything before 5 min for that matter, I would go way light on the citra in favor of more chinook because I think citra can be a bit funny when boiled too long. Ya know, that catty thing. Chinook's spicy woodyness is much nicer, although the bitterness is mean. Citra's strengths are the crazy tropical fruit and citrus flavors that come through best at k/o IMO. Both are great DH hops.

12. EDIT: ^ Please don't mind the mis-spelled words above. Also, I missed that you were thinking 20,10, k/o, DH. I'd say just do 15, k/o, DH. 20 and 10 are redundant.

13. honkey

I actually like 20 minute additions because I feel like the flavor from a 20 minute addition doesn't fade as quickly as it does when you just do KO.

The reason for the C-80 is mostly color related. I am going to start sending beers to competitions (never done so before) and with my typical DIPA recipe, my SRM normally sits around 6 when BJCP minimum is 8.

14. Word. I don't think you should only do KO and DH. I was just saying that you might consider one 15min instead of 20 & 10, as I feel like you'll get the advantages of both with just the 15.

And for the color, maybe just do the 2% C80 and skip the C30? That way you get the color and still keep the % nice and low. Also, I kinda surprised to hear that a beer with an OG over 70 is coming out too light in color, regardless of the grain bill... the calculators always put my bigger IPAs at 4-6 SRM because they are only base and carapils, but in practice they are usually a bit darker to my eye (and yes, they are always all grain- usually with golden promise as the base). I do err on the side of long vigorous boils though, so that may have something to do with it.

If I may ask- What's up with the huge batch size?

15. honkey

I am one of the brewers of a brewery here in Alabama. The 55 gallon is our test batch system where I get to have some fun. My favorite part of brewing is sharing recipes and seeing the discussions from other brewers. I used to brew a lot of DIpA's at home, but never have competed before.

JimmyTango likes this.
  16. honkey

Even dropping the 30 drops the SRM down to 7. FWIW though Pliny is listed in the BJCP guideline as an example of a good DIPA and its SRM is also calculated at 7.

17. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Savant (420) California Mar 22, 2011

If you want to up color and don't want sweetness just use some Dehusked Carafa Special or Midnight Wheat malts (Blackprinz is an option too, but it tastes like shit) in very small amounts.

skivtjerry likes this.
  18. EDIT: What he said.

19. honkey

Took a gravity reading today and it smelled incredible. If the taste follows, this may be my new favorite combo.

I did leave in the C-80 in the end. I was planning on dropping it, and then went with it anyways. As long as it dries out, I think the C-80 will be good.

20. honkey

Just thought I'd give a quick update... Looks like this is having no problem drying out. It started at 1.075 and one of the fermenters was sitting at 1.012 this morning and slowing down. I'm thinking it will drop another 1-2 points. The second one his still fermenting steadily at 1.018. This was WLP 001 yeast and I've been fermenting cooler than recommended by White Labs starting at 58 degrees and slowly raising it up to 65.

21. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (800) Texas May 21, 2010

Well, we can't really be sure until you send me a sixer, three of each. :D

honkey likes this.
  22. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Just a heads up, breakwater pale ale by Dry Dock uses that hop combo and it is pretty f'ing tasty

honkey likes this.
  23. honkey

I tried a sample out of the one that's sitting at 1.012 and it was really good. I'm going to start dry hopping tomorrow. Can't wait to taste the final product. Of the beers I have brewed so far at the brewery, this is the one I'm most excited about so far.

24. honkey

I kegged and carbonated this beer today. I think it may be my new favorite recipe. Very distinctive grapefruit aroma. The flavor that follows is piney and floral. Not very bitter, but a huge amount of flavor. We may actually brew this as a thirty barrel batch this spring. Thanks guys for the input!

25. honkey

Oh, also it got down to 1.010.

26. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

Thanks for doing a 55 gallon batch, makes it easy for me to divide everything by 10 and steal your recipe. ;)

honkey likes this.
  27. honkey

Let me know how it turns out for you!

mountsnow1010 likes this.
  28. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

Will do! Added to the list, should get to in in a couple of months, provided I can get Citra then!

29. weegiant

weegiant Initiate (10) Mar 20, 2014

Great looking recipe! Honky, is that a Madison Scout uniform?

30. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Since this thread was posted I have worked a couple batches with these two hops and love them together.

31. honkey

It is indeed. I believe that was 2011, but it could have been 2010. I marched with Madison from 2008-2011.

For anyone interested, this is the beer that ended up evolving from this recipe that I posted earlier in this thread.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23966/96807/

Hopefully, it gets more recent reviews since our first bottled batch, we ran into a lot of equipment problems since we had never used such a large amount of hops. We have since fixed those issues and we plan to release it on a quarterly basis.