1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Citra Pale Ale recipe... help

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by ShanePB, Apr 24, 2012.

1. I found this recipe from Billy Broas, yielding 6 gallons:
    -----------
    Batch size: 6 gallons
    Original Gravity: 1.056
    Final Gravity: 1.011
    ABV: 5.9%
    IBU: 35

Malt
    8.25 lbs Light LME (half beginning, half @ last 15 min)
    .75 lbs Crystal 40L
    .5 lbs CaraPils

Hops
    Citra AA% = 12
    Cascade AA% = 6
    .5 oz Citra (60 min)
    .5 oz Citra (15 min)
    .5 oz Cascade (15 min)
    .5 oz Citra (0 min)
    .5 oz Cascade (0 min)
    .5 oz Citra (dry hop)
    1 oz Cascade (dry hop)

Yeast
    WLP001 California Ale yeast
    ------------

Original recipe is all grain, but here are my questions:

1. I'm assuming I do a normal 20 minute 155 F steeping of the Crystal 40L and CaraPils?
    2. Can someone scale this for 5 gallons?
    3. Due to the late extract addition, does the hopping schedule need to be adjusted?

Cheers!

2. dfess1

dfess1 Initiate (0) Pennsylvania May 20, 2003

personally, I wouldn't use Citra for a bittering hop. I just don't like the way it tastes as a bittering hop. use half a lb of each specialty grain and steep as you have it. I'd add the DME all in at once. I'd use your Cascade for the bittering, and then citra on the end.

here's my house pale recipe, and I fly through it (gets brewed once a month, my friends drain a cornie every 2 weeks). Keep in mind this is for 10 gal.

20 lbs Marris Otter
    2 lbs Carapils
    2 lbs Crystal 20
    mash @152
    2 oz Nugget @ 60
    2 oz Citra @ 20
    2 oz Citra @ 10
    Dry hop: 1 oz Citra in each carboy for 7 days

3. 1. Steeping for 20 min at 155 is fine.
    2. To scale to 5 gallons, multiply everything by .83 (five sixths or 5/6)
    3. I wouldn't adjust the hopping schedule for any reasons associated with the late extract addition.

Are you doing a full boil?

4. I forgot to mention I'll be doing a 3 gallon boil and top afterwards with 2 gallons of water.

5. The recipe you have will produce a fine beer.

Just a few thoughts for your consideration:

I personally would nix the 0,5 lbs. of CaraPils.for two reasons. I think that 0.75 lbs. of 40L crystal is a sufficient amount of crystal malt. There is also some ‘controversy’ on whether CaraPils can just be steeped (vs. mashed). A number of homebrew book authors are of the opinion that CaraPils should be mashed or otherwise you run the risk of obtaining starch haze.

I would suggest that you use US-05 yeast vs. WLP001. Dry yeast is ‘easier’ to utilize and will provide more yeast cells which is a good thing.

Good luck with you Citra Pale Ale.

Cheers!

P.S. The fact that you will do a partial boil (3 gallons) is OK.

6. Thanks, Jack.

So as far as scaling down from 6 gallons to 5 gallons, if I multiply the 8.25 lbs of Light LME then I'm at about 6.85 lbs (I'd round up to 7 lbs). Would I need to scale down the hops or the Crystal 40L at all?

7. OK, let’s start with the amount of DME. 7 lbs. of DME will get you a ‘robust’ Pale Ale. I don’t know how concerned you are about brewing to style but an Original Gravity of 1.050 would be more typical of a Pale Ale. 7 lbs. of DME will get you a beer greater than 1.050 but that is not necessarily bad. I would suggest something like 6 lbs. of DME but either amount will still make a good beer.

I would not suggest that you scale down the crystal male; 0.75 lbs. would be good.

The only comment I have relative to hopping is how much bitterness you are looking for. The last time I used Citra hops they had alpha acids of 12.3%. So, 0.5 ounces of Citra hops will get you something like 6.15 Alpha Acid Units (AAUs) for you bittering addition. This is not a lot of bittering. I would suggest that something closer to 10 AAUs would be ‘better’. AAUs are calculated by multiplying the Alpha Acids of the hops (e.g., 12.3%) by the ounces of hops. For example 2 ounce of Citra Hops at 12.3% would yield 24.6 AAUs. So, I would suggest a bit more hops for bittering (to get you to 10 AAUs) but keep the rest of your hooping schedule the same.

Good luck with your Citra Pale Ale!

Cheers!

8. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

I do recall some ambiguity among sources when I first started brewing with grains 7 years ago, but it's become clear to me that those claiming carapils needed mashing were erroneous. Carapils is a very light caramel malt. It is steepable. Here's a spec sheet from Briess that says so:
    http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_CarapilsMalt.pdf

As for whether to use it in this recipe, it depends what you are going for. It will give your beer extra body, which may make it seem too heavy to some.

9. How hoppy do you want this beer to be? Personally, I'd hop it up a little more especially if you're not doing a full boil. I did a Citra pale ale 2 months ago and I did .5 additions at 15, 5, flameout with Citra and Amarillo but my recipe only used 6lbs of pale LME. I used Columbus for bittering because I figured why use such a great tasting/smelling hop that is hard to get on bittering? The beer came out great with tons of hop flavor without too much bitterness. Good luck!

10. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Savant (465) Illinois Nov 4, 2008

This is a great hop schedule that I have used for an all-citra depending on how much citra hops you have.

0.80 oz Citra [11.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 22.0 IBU
    3.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
    1.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] (15 min) Hops 13.6 IBU
    1.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] (10 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
    0.80 oz Citra [11.00 %] (5 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
    0.60 oz Citra [11.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.7 IBU

11. Like several others have already suggested, I also would use a different hop for the 60 min. addition. Take that .5 oz Citra you would have used and add it to the dry-hop amount. You won't be disappointed. Good luck, it should turn out great!

12. Thanks for all the great suggestions, everyone! Here's a revised recipe... from some reading it looks like Nugget would be nice enough for bittering and should stay out of the way for the Citra to come through. How does 1.5 oz of Nugget for bittering sound? Assume 9-11% AA.

Malt
    6 lbs Light LME (half beginning, half @ last 15 min)
    .75 lbs Crystal 40L

Hops
    1.5 oz Nugget (60 min)
    .5 oz Citra (15 min)
    .5 oz Cascade (15 min)
    .5 oz Citra (0 min)
    .5 oz Cascade (0 min)
    1 oz Citra (dry hop)
    1 oz Cascade (dry hop)

Yeast
    WLP001 California Ale yeast

13. Shane,

I owe you an apology. You have consistently stated Liquid Malt Extract (LME) but for some reason in my last post my mind was ‘wired’ to think Dried Malt Extract (DME).

Given that you are using LME, I would suggest that you utilize 7 lbs. of LME. I am sorry for the confusion on that part.

The difference between LME and DME is that LME includes water (hence the word “liquid”). To convert DME to LME: 1 lb. of DME is equivalent to 1.25 lbs. of LME.

As regards the bittering addition of 1.5 ounces of Nugget (assuming 9-11% AA) that is a bit high for a typical Pale Ale. You will be getting something like 15 AAUs while a typical Pale Ale would use something like 10 AAUs. I personally like lots of hops (bittering, flavor and aroma) so I would enjoy 15 AAUs. If you are more interested in brewing to style then I would suggest that you use just 1 ounce of Nugget for bittering.

Good Luck with your Citra Pale Ale.

Cheers!

14. Stellar information, Jack. Thanks for the help.

That's actually good to know I can either go 6lbs of DME or 7lbs of LME. And 1 oz of Nugget sounds pretty good to me then.

Thanks again!

15. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

so how did this turn out?

16. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Savant (465) Illinois Nov 4, 2008

Interested as well- I think citra gets a bad rep when it comes to using it as a bittering hop- I love it......

17. founder26

well I went out and got everything I need to do this recipe so im hoping it turns out good!

18. I've still relatively new to brewing and I'm not sure how Citra would work as a bittering hop but considering its a pricier and harder to find hop than Columbus, I'd rather use it for flavoring and aroma.

founder26 likes this.
  19. founder26

I did end up brewing this recipe, the only thing I goofed up on was I did 6lbs of LME not 7, so I hope it turns out ok.

20. fvernon

fvernon Savant (370) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2010

agreed - i have an all-citra double ipa that i regularly make and it's a crowd favorite around here... i opt for a 75 min boil with a continuous hopping. 1oz citra at the start of the boil, followed by 4 oz spread over the next 75 minutes and another 2oz when i rack to the secondary. straightforward and delicious. in fact, i'm bottling another batch today!

OP; this recipe looks good, hope it turns out well

21. founder26

cold crashing today, bottling in a few days. how long do you guys think I should leave it bottled?

22. I usually leave my Ipa's bottled for at least two weeks then try one. I judge whether it needs more time based I that first tasting. My latest ipa benefitted from two weeks extra in the bottle before refrigerating. The hop flavor really came through after more time.

23. I usually taste a bottle at about a week just to see how it's coming along and then hold off another week until I start cracking more open.

Edit: Not saying they're ready in a week or two, but I like to see how it develops in the bottle, so I sacrifice a few before I know that it's where it should be...

24. It has been my consistent experience that my IPAs are ‘best’ with 4-5 weeks of time in the bottle.

Cheers!

25. founder26

Wow guys thats great to hear then, I tried a bottle today after just one week bottled and its pretty good! Keep in mind this is my first time ever brewing, right now its got a very nice aroma, almost weed like, and I can really taste the citra hops in there, almost zombie dust like. I think with a couple more weeks this is going to turn out great!