1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Citra Release - Bottle Only at the Brewery!

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by jamex, Mar 13, 2012.

1. jamex

jamex Savant (275) California Feb 13, 2010

Kern River - Citra. Per Facebook:
    That place is just too darn far for me to pick up and get some bottles.

2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

That's cool. The beer is one of the best out there and ^ helps me not to try and get more.

3. There's more stuff to do in Kernville than just go pick up beer.

aussy13 likes this.
  4. Listen to banjos?

5. JoEBoBpr

JoEBoBpr Champion (760) Missouri Feb 26, 2004

Yum. This is one of my favorite beers out there.

6. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Kerntucky?

ahpark likes this.
  7. baybassboy

baybassboy Savant (380) California Feb 23, 2011

Props to KRBC for taking a strong stance with their limited beer. Makes it all that more special when you do get your hands on some.

I'll have to do a combo FlyFish the Kern River, Visit KRBC very soon!

8. Actually banjos are this Friday, the 16th; maybe some mandolin and a dobro thrown in for good measure. On friday of the Citra release it will more acoustic rock; you know; Grateful Dead, Cross Canadian Ragweed, that sort of stuff. Maybe one day we will be as cultured as Valencia; I can only hope ;)

9. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

I would love to try this beer! If anybody has an extra to spare out of their allotment, shoot me a message and we can work something out.

NJBeerNerd likes this.
  10. nhindian

nhindian Savant (370) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2010

ISO a bottle of this for sure after DSlim71 is hooked up!

Let's talk if you are planning on making the trip.

11. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Truth. Epic MTB, hiking, and good flyfishing.

12. BeerShman

BeerShman Savant (265) California Dec 14, 2010

ISO this as well. Let me know if anyone will have extras!

13. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

Hike, drink beer, bike, drink beer, fish, drink more beer, camp, drink Citra, enjoy the fresh air, drink more Citra, visit KRBC and drink more Citra!! Sure! If it gets me OUT of the City. . . . .WHY NOT!

Eriktheipaman and mrbubbler like this.
  14. A bit off-topic, but are there good maps of the hiking around Kernville? Definitely want to go hiking next time we stop by KRBC. The Trails Illustrated series doesn't cover that area.

15. fartmaster

fartmaster Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2011

16. Sebowski

Sebowski Savant (320) California Jan 11, 2010

I'd rather see this go back to draft only and distro some kegs than this, but oh well.

17. fartmaster

is it going to be on tap with no growler fills. or not on tap at all?

18. Domeshot14

Domeshot14 Savant (270) California Jul 10, 2011

It is bottles only, not on tap at all.

19. Epical8

Epical8 Aficionado (120) California Dec 30, 2010

I'll be there!

20. aussy13

aussy13 Disciple (70) California Nov 25, 2009

Where does it say this? It's my understanding that it will be on draft, just not available for growler fills. I'm still hoping I can get up there for the weekend.
    AM

21. Epical8

Only bottles

22. Where did you see that? No place in the newsletter were the words 'bottles only' written or intimated. To the contrary, KRBC did state that:

"There will be a 6 bottle per person limit and there will be NO growler fills. Why no growler fills? Well, last time the Citra on tap only lasted 2 days, so if we have bottles on Sunday and nothing on tap it would look kind of silly."

23. Domeshot14

Domeshot14 Savant (270) California Jul 10, 2011

I guess I misread this. Sorry for the misinformation above.

24. No probs - I'm making the trip up and felt a little testy about not having a few cold pints of Citra at the end of that looong drive.

25. To clarify, we will have it on draft. We are not doing growler fills so that we can maybe have it on tap all three days (last release we ran out on draft in 2 days, but we did limited growler fills).

As for predictions; that is a hard one since it seems to grow every time. This one will likely be weather dependent as well (if we had it this upcoming weekend it would be snowing). All I can do is tell you what happened last time: The last release we had 25 cases each on a Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday there were more people in line before we opened than there were bottles available, but not by much. On Sunday we had enough bottles for everyone that was waiting in line before we opened, with maybe a couple of cases left over (and that went quickly).

So by not distributing we are able to up the number of bottles available each day and increase the number of days from 2 to 3, hopefully increasing people's chances of getting their hands on some bottles. Distribution got pretty ridiculous, store owners were getting upset when they only got 1 or 2 cases, people were following the delivery truck around, customers could only buy 1 bottle, etc. Again, this batch is 2/3 the size of the batch we released in November, so distribution just didn't make sense; we apologize if people are upset by this, but chances are it would have been extremely difficult to come by anyway. Hopefully we will only have to put up with these small releases for another year or so.

26. fartmaster

27. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I'm really glad you guys aren't distributing a tiny batch and making it stupid. Draws more people to the pub (and Kern!) and reduces a lot of the stupidity around releases. I hope more breweries start to do this as well.

28. Go on....
    expansion?
    planning a dedicated production facility?

29. Really? Because to accomplish this, a beer maniac would have had to sit in a parking lot for hours, laying in wait for the truck to leave the brewery (or a random store). And I thought the Krispy Kreme frenzy was insane...

30. ISO - hit me up if you've got bottles to trade. Thanks.

31. Urbano7913

Urbano7913 Disciple (60) California Feb 24, 2011

i will be attending to the release.anyone whos down to have a bottle share?im gonna bring a few bottles to share.cheers

32. Epical8

How much do they sell for?

33. Well I'm leaving at 6am to get there by 9am.

Very true, especially in nearby Bakersfield

Here is some inspiration for those making the trek.

eorwar likes this.
  34. Debating doing the same thing. Just depending on mother nature. I can pass on citra if it is rainy/snowy coming across the grapevine.

35. vande

vande Advocate (510) Illinois Jan 26, 2007

ISO too! Never had this and would love to try - but don't want to give away my first or second born... Is that possible :)?

36. taffeys

taffeys Aficionado (105) California Dec 23, 2005

Which day are you guys going to be there at 9am?

37. depends on my work schedule, most likely saturday or sunday.

38. BeerShman

BeerShman Savant (265) California Dec 14, 2010

Anyone doing a run up from OC area? Maybe do an IP trade or something like that?
    Also, Im curious to know what it usually takes to land a couple bottles?
    This has been on my list to try for along time now and never can make it up the brewery.
    TIA

39. DCRA

DCRA Aficionado (160) California Dec 14, 2011

Sup

[​IMG]

alwaysanswerb likes this.
  40. fartmaster

someone didnt have to work today lucky sold out in like an hour i called the brewery and it sounded so loud there. good work kern river