1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

City bars that open early?

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by chcfan, Mar 2, 2012.

1. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (570) California Oct 29, 2008

This is kind of an odd request, but I have two friends who just landed at PHL a half hour ago, and I have to work until 11:00 (it's about 45 minutes to the city from "Horse Ham") and they need something to do. They're going to take the train to Center City. I looked up a handful of bars and none of them open until 11 or so for lunch. Is anyone aware of a place that caters to the true alcoholics and opens early?

Where I'm originally from in Cincinnati, some bars open at 5:30 AM and they're literally loaded with old dudes at 10:00 AM. It's crazy.

Thanks!

2. chcfan

Never mind, they're just going to hit a Starbucks or something like that until Monk's opens.

3. was going to say --- Ray's Happy Birthday Bar in South Phillly supposedly opens at 7am

AgeOfQuarrel likes this.
  4. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Champion (845) Pennsylvania Dec 11, 2008

too late now, but for future reference - places that show live European rugby and soccer matches. It was always on a Saturday, but I've drank at the Dark Horse before 8am to watch Six Nations rugby. Tir Na Nog too. ah, beer and a sausage egg and cheese sandwich.

Not sure if it's everyday though.

*EDIT* -checked their websites. Not everyday, only for when live sports, usually Saturdays.

5. Mike-V

Mike-V Aspirant (45) Feb 28, 2012

If it's workman's / old man bars you seek, Center City is the wrong place for it.

6. frank4sail

frank4sail Savant (430) New Jersey Mar 16, 2001

7. chcfan

That makes sense, but the goal was to meet in Center City and I wanted to minimize the lugging of baggage around town. It worked out fine, though.

Thanks for the tips, everyone.