1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Citybeer Cellar Sale

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by Trilogy31, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Trilogy31

Trilogy31 Savant (300) California Jan 13, 2011

I know, very hypocritical of me since I love to rip shittybeer store but I have to give them credit for what they were offering - some pretty unbelievable stuff at not too crazy of mark ups. Scored probably my best wale to date - a PiaPT along with Cascade Kriek 08-10, The Wanderer, Figaro, Stone VE 06-08, Eclipse EJ & Heaven Hill 09 and a Gift of the Magi 08. If I could ever figure out how to post a pic I would put this in the "haul" thread but more than anything I want to give these guys some credit although my wallet isn't too happy nor will my girl be when she is getting her Vday gift from Target.

luwak likes this.
  2. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (480) California Dec 11, 2010

Nice haul. I think the gems are the Cascade and Eclipse beers, but cool to see some bottles of Partridge were available there too.

3. Yeah very nice haul!! Think they may have any Wanderer left?

4. Wanderer was gone in under 20 minutes. They let about 10-12 people I would say in the first group. I was about 20 back in line at opening and it was gone when I went in (next group). I did get Heaven Hill 09, The Vine (batch one), and Arctic Devil 2011

EDIT: They did have Wanderer on tap (I had two glasses) and they made is sound like it wasn't running out in the next couple hours, but I would get there before the Bourbon County Madness at 6 if you want some.

5. Trilogy31

Pretty sure no Wanderer but a good chance on the Eclipse as it looked like they had 4 to 5 cases of each with some of the 11 variants too. Also had a decent amount of the VE left too.

6. MoparGrease

MoparGrease Initiate (0) California Jul 26, 2012

ISO cascade!

7. I love threads like these. You hate the store, never go into it, mock it, yet the moment they have something you want, you run right over there. Funny. At least you acknowledged the humor, so you have that going for you. Most people don't.

tjensen3618, pmarlowe and jp7161 like this.
  8. http://tinypic.com/

9. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

Thoroughly awesome draft list and cellar sale. I was far too tempted to leave City Beer deep in debt, but I stuck with Arctic Devil and Wanderer, which was more than enough awesome beer for one evening.

10. Saw the Krieks. Can I get some insight on feelings towards older Cascade?
    It was $45 for 08, $40 for 09, and $35 for 10 on the Krieks. My gf's friend stops by and picks some up for me and brings it down when she visits for only $18. They were also charging $40 for Apricot from this year ($18 at Barrel-house and online), Batch 1 The Vine for $40 ($22 at Cascade) as well as $60 for Figaro ($25, max $35 at Cascade).

The rest of the stuff was actually reasonably priced. I was fortunate enough to get a Partridge-$50 for a white whale is pretty decent (especially since that's not something you want to consume on premise), a Peche for $30, and one of each of the 09 Eclipse for $30.

11. Trilogy31

True the Cascades are steep but $30 is pretty regular price wise here for the base stuff and its doubtful you can get any vintages of it. I will say I picked up a Sang Noir 11 for $40 at Toronado's last bottle sale which is fair compared to citybeers pricing, but just like wine anything with value usually appreciates with age and they had more than enough demand to pay the markups they put on everything. I am most excited about the 09 EC Eclipse, really was not expecting to ever find that one again and I paid $35 for my one bottle two years ago so i was more than happy to drop $40 now.

12. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

The Cascade Apricot they had for $40 was 2009.

13. salzar

salzar Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2008

The 2011 sang noir was $20 on cascades website upto a few months ago...

14. Trilogy31

What is the shipping on said bottles from the online shop to receive here in the bay?

15. salzar

salzar Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2008

I think it cost about $20 to ship 6bottles to Socal