1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Clarity

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Koipond, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Koipond

Koipond Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2012

I see people talking about "Cold Shock" during the secondary to clarify the beer. What does this mean?
    Also... I have only done four batches so far. IPA, Bells Brown Ale clone, Blue moon clone, Bell's Two Hearted Clone. All were great. I did not use Irish moss or anything else. Should I have added chemical to improve clarity.
  2. "Cold crashing" is the technique of dropping the temperature of the beer in the fermentor to 30-40 degrees. The cold helps to coagulate proteins and encourage them to drop to the bottom due to gravity. This should only be done after fermentation is completely done. For clarity, I use whirlfloc and usually cold crash for two days and get pretty bright beer.
  3. Soonami

Soonami Savant (455) Pennsylvania Jul 16, 2008

Cold crashing also induces the yeast flocculation. Usually I toss a whirlflock tablet into the last 15 minutes of boil, right when the immersion chiller going it. I don't really have a problem with getting clear beer after a cold crash. For some beers like porters, stouts, witbiers, lambics, etc, where clarity is not an issue, I usually skip the whirlflock and just try to avoid getting hotbreak into the beer. If I remember, I'll cold crash.