1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Class of '88 Deschutes collaborations

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Bay01, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

2. Scotchboy

Scotchboy Advocate (500) Idaho Dec 7, 2010

As long as they still brew Black Butte XXV, I'm fine with this.

However if this replaces the birthday series, even for one year, I'm not fine with this.

3. Excited for all of them but just make sure that John Maier doesn't put any bacon, books or beard hair into the barley wine.

4. oregone

oregone Savant (375) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

If the smoked imperial porter bears any resemblance to the one they poured at the holiday ale fest, I'll be a happy guy. Looking forward these. Curious about the strong golden. That many different vinifera varieties would seem like it would muddle each ones character, but who knows. Definitely interested.
    And not to pile on, but I'll pass on the rogue version. Not hating, just don't like their beer, and particularly don't like their previous Barleywine iterations.

Helenboch and vurt like this.
  5. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

Count me in for the north coast collab a nice big barley wine is right down their alley. Just wish they would boot rogue out of the picture, though old crustacean is not bad.

jdklks and THANAT0PSIS like this.
  6. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

I'm not looking forward to another grape beer. Hopefully they just innoculate it with bugs and let it mature into something worthwhile.

DrAwkward82 and Etan like this.
  7. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Arrgh! All in large format. Please run some of these into 12oz bottles or cans.

8. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

This is what I was thinking. Wine barrels and fruit usually indicate wild, but they didn't mention any bugs in the description...

9. I am hoping to see all of these beers in SoCal.

ZacJay and fedssnf like this.
  10. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

I am pumped for this; especially since all of the breweries distribute to MN!

11. As a Wisconsinite, looks like I'll be taking a trip up to Minnesota for the release. We don't get Deschutes here, unfortunately.

12. Exactamundo.

13. That way they can charge more....

beercentrist likes this.
  14. Hoping the GL collab sees GL distro...

libbey likes this.
  15. mdomask

mdomask Savant (335) Illinois May 27, 2012

I'm guessing this is some variation on Sofie with Concord Grapes, aka Screw You, Jeppe!

16. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Damn YES!!!! Can't wait to try all these. Definitely stoked on that barleywine.

17. vurt

vurt Advocate (505) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

First thing I thought of too.

18. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,130) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I will happily pay the same price per ounce, just put these type of beers into a reasonable format for fucks sake.

jtmartino likes this.
  19. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

The kings of American Porters collaborating on a big smoked version? Ah hell yeah sign me up for that!

20. Founders would like a word with you

21. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

They're in my top five but the top two spots belong to Black Butte and Edmund Fitzgerald.

claspada likes this.
  22. Agreed, can always go back to those two.

23. I would be cool with that too!

24. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (990) Ontario (Canada) Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

Definitely not - Concord grapes are extremely different from Pinot Noir and Riesling grapes, and the base for Screw You Jeppe was a Saison, while this beer is a Belgian Strong Golden Ale.

25. Just saw the barleywine in stores today. Anyone had it yet?

26. smithj2154

smithj2154 Savant (350) California Apr 10, 2013

I picked up two of the NC Barleywine at lunch today! Super excited for this one!!

27. DOTU

DOTU Savant (345) California Feb 11, 2011

I got two bottles of the NC version yesterday also.

smithj2154 likes this.
  28. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

I saw 2 different looking bottles of class of 88 Barleywine at the liquor store. Different or same beer?

29. smithj2154

Same reciepe brewed at different breweries. Rogue, North Coast, and Deschutes all brewed and packaged a version of the barleywine.

kemoarps likes this.
  30. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

Got it, so no need to buy more than one then.

31. smithj2154

I bought two of the north coast (my fav brewery out of the three) and Ill probably buy one of the Deschutes version (a close second)

32. theCoder

theCoder Savant (340) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

Had one of these this past Saturday. It's odd, can't put my finger on it but everyone who sampled it agreed it wasn't a Barley Wine but that's going off of most barley wine's we've had. It's a different beast, I liked it but had you told me it was a barley wine I wouldn't believe you. Still quite good, not sure I'll pick up another.

33. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but the bomber I had of the Deschutes version was way too medicinal for me. Drainpour.

34. mnphish

mnphish Savant (375) Minnesota Aug 19, 2012

It wasn't awful but it wasn't good either. Definitely had a bit of a medicinal finish. Way to sweet.

35. jdklks

jdklks Savant (375) Nevada Aug 9, 2007

I think the barleywine is drinking more like a DIPA right now, but it won't for long. With all its sweet fruitiness it's going to be a sugary, alcoholic mess in a few months. It wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be, and I blame Rogue.

notchucknorris and GFG like this.
  36. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I also had the Deschutes version and I did not enjoy it at all.

37. smithj2154

Are all these comments on the deschutes version? I'm worried about the two NC bottles I have that I haven't opened yet.

38. Any word on the Great Lakes Collab?

39. this beer was nasty, I drain poured

40. Rick760Sd

Rick760Sd Savant (260) California Jun 5, 2012

I split a Descutes version with a buddy and we both agreed it was too sweet and not very hoppy. Far from a drain pour but just not as good as I'd thought it would be. I blame Rogue