Classic Style Saison

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Chaseguuy, Jan 7, 2013.

1. I was told to keep the primary fermentation very warm with my saison i recently brewed. around 80 to 85 deg F. how hot is TOO hot????????

2. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (370) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

I would move this one to the homebrewing forum so it will be better answered. Which yeast did you use? Although many say that saison temps should be super high, that's not always the case, and many great saisons are brewed with much cooler temps. The strain and what types of flavors you are looking for will help with your temperature decision.

3. I think you'll be fine if you keep it between 75 and 85.

4. i used white labs american farmhouse blend to give it a lil funk too. we also added bitter orange peel and orange blossom honey to the last 20 min of the boil. im hoping for good things.

5. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (370) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Sounds good. From what I remember, that yeast strain has some brett (a wild yeast) in it? If so, I wouldn't push that too high on the temperature scale. How long has it been fermenting? A typicial fermentation schedule for a lot of various belgian yeast strains is to ferment for a few days in the mid-upper 60's, and then let it rise for the last few days in the low 70's to let the strains finish. I personally wouldn't push that strain too high. The classic saison dupont strain normally benefits from some pretty high temps towards the end of fermenation, but it can also have problems finishing, so that's partially why the temperatures help.

I would give your beer time, that strain will take a good long time to develop all of the funky flavors you're looking for.

6. Dupont strain is actually a Red Wine yeast (verified via dna tests). Dupont fermenters are not jacketed and fermentation temps go as high as 95*F. That yeast is also known to quit fermenting for little or no reason.
    Since you're using a blend just keep it in the range White Labs recommends. Too high would most likley end up way to estery, and most likely solvent like. Too low would result in low/lacking character you desire...