1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cleansing the Palate?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Dools9, Apr 8, 2012.

1. How important is it, and what are some of the better ways to cleanse the pallate when drinking big flavor heavy brews?
  2. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

Its very important. Every brewer makes his beer unique in someway. Its a disservice to not enjoy them with a clean palate. Lots pf water, cheese, crackers, nuts. Every little thing helps.

Cheers!
  3. Lemon sorbet works very well for me.
  4. tolar111

tolar111 Advocate (665) New York Aug 17, 2008

Rumple Minze is a great palate cleanser.

[​IMG]
  5. Some sours are actually pretty decent palate cleansers in my opinion. Haven't fully explored the world of all the different sours, but Triangle Brewery seems to have one that really cleansed my palate after a day of drinking wood aged beers.
  6. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Its very important if you want to do a fresh start on each beer with minimal carry over effects from earlier beers. The better ways to cleanse the palate when having any beer include having plenty of bottled water on hand for between beers along with some unsalted crackers or pretzels, as bland as you can find them. Using salted food, cheeses or flavorful foods between beers *changes* the palate but does not cleanse it or reset it to neutral.
    LiquidTable and r3o like this.
  7. #1 cleanser is water for me maybe some bread
  8. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,005) Colorado May 19, 2005

How important? Depends on what you want out of a beer, which may depend on what you're eating (if anything). Carbonation and acid cleanse a palate and can go well with creamy cheeses. I like the subtle tartness of a BerlinerWeiss while having a light lunch (or just drinking it anytime). Mr. Oliver's book (The Brewmaster's Table) talks about this aspect of beer quite a bit
  9. raffels

raffels Savant (255) West Virginia Dec 12, 2009

Trenton Oyster Crackers. Dab of horseradish optional.
    Aexoonge likes this.
  10. diesel59

diesel59 Savant (400) New York Jan 3, 2012

I have yet to use this, as a cleansing of the palate....................... but my friend Brian swears by it ................... GUINNESS DRAUGHT.......................fuckin Irish............ god bless.....................
  11. 4balance

4balance Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2011

[​IMG]

Unsalted peanuts and lots of water…Cheers ~
    Bitterbill likes this.
  12. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Cucumbers...I know it's not exactly bar food but cucumbers work great. Whenever I do a quality check at work (I'm a chef) I eat a slice of cucumber between tasting sauces or what not and it helps a lot to clean the palate. Or I just drink water...
  13. Jason

Jason Founder (1,330) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

This helps a lot ...

[​IMG]
  14. Brewsaic

Brewsaic Disciple (65) Mar 15, 2012

I usually just go with water. Recently though, at a local bar, the bartender gave us a little glass of ginger ale. I would not have thought of it but it actually did a pretty good job. Technically it may not be the best palate "cleanser" but for a quick fix I found it to be better than water. I do really like the suggestion of cucumbers though!!

CHEERS:D
    www.brewsaic.com
  15. dirtyfab

dirtyfab Aficionado (225) New York Oct 21, 2004

plain unsalted crackers or matzos work well
  16. DavoleBomb

DavoleBomb Advocate (600) Ohio Mar 29, 2008

Ginger is the way to go. Very tasty too.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  17. bebbcorp

bebbcorp Aficionado (225) Kansas Mar 6, 2010

Sushi helps open the pallette up to different tastes, but have not tried this at a tasting. I would love to be the guy at a tasting that reaches into his pocket and pulls out an unwrapped sushi roll.
  18. tsauce2

tsauce2 Savant (440) Indiana Oct 12, 2011

Cleansing the palate is VERY important, and you can only do it so many times (that being until you are drunk) in a sitting.

Most of these suggestions get my stamp of approval, but really water is my primary suggestion. Sour beers work well, and ginger, cucumber, or water crackers/matzos are good as well.

Cheers!
    trixdout likes this.
  19. BilbosNuts

BilbosNuts Savant (335) California Feb 22, 2011

BMC is the way to go to cleanse the palate.
    trixdout likes this.
  20. This isn't far from the truth. We often have a 40 of something to drink during tastings, which cleanses the palate and gives a nice perspective or baseline of beer quality.
  21. Watermelon is a great flavor neutral palate cleanser... (in season, of course)
  22. seltzer
    Bitterbill likes this.
  23. This is my answer too. I like the good soldier Schweik avatar.
  24. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

I tend to bring out palate cleansers that are the opposite of whatever we are drinking at the tasting--
    Recent example; we were at a huge stout tasting... Lots of barrel aged stouts and tons of RIS 15%+ ABV beers. I brought out a couple bottles of goose island Sofie-- worked perfectly. Dry and slightly tart totally worked to reset the palate after huge boozy and sweet.

Of course, I drink water between each beer and eat plain bread or crackers when desired too.
  25. Not just BMC, any BMC light beer.
  26. Etan

Etan Advocate (745) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Tap water and a nice crusty baguette will do the trick.
  27. Between beer beers i eat these honey wheat pretzels they work great...
  28. Personally, I like saltines.

Saltines <3