Cleveland's "Rain Man of Beer" Story is Amazing

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by GreatLakesWill, Apr 20, 2013.

1. GreatLakesWill

GreatLakesWill Initiate (15) Apr 20, 2013

Ohio and Midwestern beer lovers – beer lovers anywhere for that matter – you have got to see this incredible story I read from Maxim magazine. There is this guy from Ohio named Lance and he is a real-life Rainman of beer. He is a super brilliant 55-year-old guy from the Cleveland area with a photographic memory… And he is autistic.

He has spent his life collecting beer cans and memorizing beer info. Now he is trying to write a book and there is a documentary that supposed be made. There are a time of legendary breweries that are letting him in to get info for his book. This thing was so inspiring… Best story ever! Check it out. Here's the link.

http://www.maxim.com/booze/this-the-world-s-most-worthwhile-kickstarter

2. riemster

riemster Advocate (605) Ohio Mar 17, 2011

Awesome!!!

3. Honestly how have more people not backed this? This seems like it's right up every BA's avenue. Just checked and they need $130,000 to complete the Kickstarter. They currently only have 133 backers with a total of $13,021 and only 15 days to go.

4. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

I understand the backers want a documentary and book, but this trip can happen for a lot less than 130k. I wish the guy all the best, but I just don't have extra cash laying around at this juncture.

5. CRJMellor

CRJMellor Advocate (650) Arkansas Nov 12, 2003

my thought is why is Bell's, Great Lakes, Goose Island, Boulevard, Russian River, Stone and any number of regional breweries not bankrolling a portion of this. I'll but my $25-50 up but $130K should be easy if Assoc. of Brewers, AHA, Brewing Network, etc. gets involved. May just need to get the word spread some more. Like to find out a little more about the folks behind to ensure it's all on the level. Sure seems like they are but this could be accomplished in about 2 weeks if the industry gets involved. Hell InBev/A-B good pay for this with a day's interest if they wanted to do it.

6. aaronrice

aaronrice Initiate (20) Apr 26, 2013

This is Aaron, Lance's nephew. Thank you for your response. There is no doubt that $130,000 is a lot of money. However, the current average cost of a 30 second TV commercial slot is $108,956. In proportion, we are trying to keep 8 people on the road for 4-8 weeks; lodging, meals, wages, gas and on and on; pay for equipment, film, edit and produce a feature length movie in full and write, design and publish a book and create Kindle and iBooks versions as well. The process will take the entire team at least 6 months, working for pennies on the dollar, ensuring that the expense of production comes first - and we are trying to do this for roughly the same cost of a 30 second commercial. In the end, proceeds from the film and book are set to fund autism scholarships and as well as organizations that train the disabled for work. There are many people who can't contribute, and that is completely understandable. However, the power of Kickstarter is that many people can give a little as opposed to a few being burdened with much. After the expenses of traveling for months, equipment rentals, filming, production, insurance, post-production, editing, sound mastering, designing and producing DVD's and publishing the book, the team of people working on Lance's Brewery Tour will be lucky to make $4000 - $5000 over a 6 month period for an incredible amount of work. Still, some may not see this as worthwhile and that's okay. I believe if a Veronica Mars movie Kickstarter can raise $5,000,000 from the public for a movie based on the TV show (which they did a week ago), we can raise 2.6% of that budget for autism. Thank you for wishing Lance well. I hope this gives a better picture of the task at hand.

JohnfromPurdue likes this.
  7. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

Aaron,

I have no doubt the project is noble, my point is it seems a little too ambitious. I personally guarantee that I would take 2 weeks off of work to drive Lance all over the Midwest and take him to as many breweries as possible. I would even pitch in for the HD camcorder(or whatever is used for these types of films), pay for gas and a lion's share of the lodging... it would be fun! Sometimes things like this get a little too big and the cart gets put in front of the horse; produce a compelling doc and profits will come in to support the cause... autism in this case.

I have much respect for Lance, his family, and friends for wanting to do this for him. I am here to help on a smaller scale if you need someone to assist Lance in his desire to see the breweries of the Midwest.

Cheers,

Mike

Jaycase likes this.
  8. I wish I had extra money to donate... Unfortunately i dont - But if you pull this off and make it down the this area of the country I will make sure you guys are taken care of. This sounds like an unbelievably awesome undertaking. Best of luck.

9. CaptCleveland

CaptCleveland Savant (485) Ohio Jun 18, 2003

10. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

Take a look at this story and be amazed at this man and his mission, I donated. Lets see how many more BA's we can get to him on his journey. This is one book I will buy when it comes out.

http://lancesbrewerytour.com/

11. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (405) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

Jesskidden and him should have a Beer knowledge show down.

12. I love this project. Let's be honest, we all spend too much money on beer. What's it really take to sacrifice buying one bomber and throw that $10, $15, or $20, toward a great project like this? Or sacrifice doing one trade and send that shipping money Lance's way.

Aaron, when you guys are up in Milwaukee give me a shout. First round is on me!