1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Closest beer to Heady Topper

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by danedelman, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Just wondering if anybody know this so i don't need to drink every DIPA or IPA out there.

Anybody know of a beer that is easier to access that has the same flavor profile (dont' care if abv is even 3%) as Heady Topper?

2. I'm still kind of a noob but I haven't found anything yet.

richobrien likes this.
  3. to me ipas from lawsons and hill farmstead are in the same range of delicious. But Heady is hard to beat.

richobrien, meefmoff, Mersh and 7 others like this.
  4. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Nothing, I'm sorry :(

5. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (350) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

Elevated IPA by La Cumbre.

6. Those are just as hard to find. Thanks though. Anybody know the hops used??

oldp0rt likes this.
  7. Blanco

Blanco Advocate (500) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

That's a great question. I haven't had it a lot, but can't say I can recall having a beer that has a similar profile. Better, but not similar.

8. Ghandi Bot, maybe? It's not really the same flavor profile but I would put it in my top 5 DIPAs and it's a bit easier to find depending on where you live.

9. Closest thing I've had is Abner from Hill Farmstead, but that's significantly harder to come by. So doesn't really help.

10. Abner is soooo delicious.And I would have to say just as good as Heady. Both amazing

richobrien, Gosox8787, MEW and 3 others like this.
  11. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Savant (330) New York Mar 3, 2010

Nothing out there, and I'll say that with my own experience. I've tasted many, many different IPA's and DIPA's and nothing easily accessible comes close to the flavor. Lawsons Double Sunshine tastes exactly like Heady but is more pungent, while many of the Hill Farmstead beers hit the same notes. This is probably why they're held in such regard, as they're amazing beers.

Peekskill Brewing in NY makes a damn good Double IPA that's really close. I believe they use Simcoe, Citra and Amarillo hops in their version, with the emphasis on the Simcoe and Citra. It's called "Double Standard". It has that same dank musty hop note.

Hill Farmstead Double Citra and Kern Double Citra are very different from Heady as well, more of the pineapple sweeter hop notes. Heady has that dankness to it that must be a product of the hop combinations. I also hear Heady is dry-hopped while it's being packaged into the can/keg, but I can't verify this.

Abner is outstanding. It leaned more towards the grapefruit profile for me.

12. And what is wrong with trying to drink every DIPA/IPA out there?
    I've been trying for years to drink each and every of them.

13. This will be a semi-unsatisfactory answer, but outside of the Vermont offerings, Ballast Point Sculpin is a solid option. The hop profile is noticeably distinct from HT (which I picked up one when I did them side-by-side), but of the even semi-available beers for PA, Sculpin does decently in comparison. That said, Heady Topper is my favorite IPA, so I haven't found anything that can match it.

14. surly abrasive is what you are looking for

15. Surly Abrasive is very close... Lawson's Double Sunshine is similar too (but probably harder to get). HF makes like 2,938 IPAs in Heady's class as well. That's just a rough estimate, I don't have the exact count.

16. You don't have to drink every last one. Just keep drinking 'em until you find one you really like that you don't have to jump through too many hoops to get on a regular basis. If it doesn't taste like Heady Topper, that's okay. When you finally do get hold of some Heady Topper again, it'll be like visiting an old friend.

Whatever you do, please do not let yourself become that woman at my bottle shop who never drinks any beer but Hopslam. Every damn January she buys 12 cases worth to last her the entire year (I am not making this up).

richobrien and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  17. Surly Furious but with a lighter malt color/flavor....murkier and more floaties too. ;-)

18. Nobody knows for sure. There was a pretty extensive thread in the homebrew forum about trying to clone Heady both before and after the forum switch:
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/heady-topper-clone.7489/
    To my taste there's definitely a lot of Simcoe, Columbus, and Centennial but from there it's hard to say anything definite. The consensus seemed to be not so much newer hops (Citra, NZ varieties and co) with disagreement about how much Amarillo's present. Likely some Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial, possibly something else like Nugget and then lots of opinions (Cascade, Citra, Magnum, and so on).

19. DanE

DanE Savant (420) Connecticut Feb 24, 2012

Don't they use hop extract as well?

I am also would love a HT replicator/band aid until i can travel up there

20. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Aficionado (245) California Jul 12, 2012

i'm not all that knowledgeable but from recent experiences i would say Hoptimum isn't that far off as far as the experience i got from heady. big, well rounded, full flavored and with plenty of maltiness.

21. If I had to throw something out there, Id go Ruination and Double Trouble. Not as good HT, but it should do for the time being.

22. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

i actually thought heady topper taste like a bigger version of fresh sn celebration ale. must be similar hops or something. and its way easier to get. anwway the way seasonals are coming out, we'll be drinking celebration labor day

23. I couldn't disagree more on this suggestion. I was blown away by Heady, while Abrasive, to me at least, smelled and tasted like cat pee.

24. nc41

nc41 Advocate (660) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Maybe Kern Citra, maybe.

25. I've had more heady topper than most and Abrasive is the closest thing I've tasted to it.
    I'll seek out more abrasive as it has been 9 months or so since I've had it. I know some people's palates are more sensitive to certain hops, so it could be something along those lines or maybe just batch variation.

tylerstravis and McNuts like this.
  26. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

There are many great IIPAs and IPAs out there. Unfortunately, many of them aren't canned or bottled. Such is life.

richobrien likes this.
  27. huskermike12

huskermike12 Savant (450) Iowa Nov 14, 2011

I agree with this. Still very different, but the closest I have had.

28. CEDAMA

CEDAMA Savant (360) California Aug 5, 2011

double sunshine

steve50 likes this.
  29. GabrielM

GabrielM Savant (295) New Mexico Jun 22, 2010

Funny, I came here to say the same. I've had everything mentioned in this thread except for the HF brews and I can easily say that La Cumbre is the closest in my book. They share that extreme grapefruit/mango hoppiness action.

rgfellow and SenorHops like this.
  30. Robtobfest

Robtobfest Savant (350) Connecticut Oct 21, 2009

31. HF and Lawson's make amazing IPA's, they just don't have a similar flavor profile (other than citrus) to HT in my opinion.

32. Interesting you say Abner, I picked up a few 4-packs of Heady and a growler of Abner this weekend. I absolutely loved Abner, actually more than Heady, but I thought they were very different. Abner drinks much heavier, and its somewhat sweeter. Heady tastes cleaner, and is a slightly more dry.

I'm really a n00b though so take my input with a grain of salt.

33. Abner was definitely a little fruitier and less piney for me. I didn't really think either was heavier, but if I had to say I think Heady was a touch lighter. I drank a growler of Abner followed by a couple cans of Heady when I was in VT a couple months ago, so I did have them back to back. That's why our palates are different I guess. They're definitely not identical, but they're the closest things to each other that I've had. Nothing is even close from what I've had so far.

Psychmusic and Pahn like this.
  34. Hoptimum is probably the closest beer I've had and its not terribly close, hoptimum is a little too sweet on the balance scale.

Pliny probably could be if it wasn't too grapefruit/sour fruit-y, I would've LOVED Pliny if it has some sweet malt backbone that I find Heady to have.

I'd be broke and an alcoholic if I lived in Vermont, I could drink Heady all day and I think I would. I almost try not to trade for it so much for that reason.

CA_Infidel2o9 likes this.
  35. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (555) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

I know Meadowlark IPA isn't a double, but it has some similarities.

andylipp and Goldfishman like this.
  36. All the hop-snobs just turned their nose up at you for recommending such a semi-widely-distributed IPA, but I got your back. HH717 FTW!

37. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

weird time that we're in that sculpin is the "semi-widely-distributed IPA". not that the distribution area isn't wide, but finding sculpin--much less fresh sculpin--has rarely been a given in most places.

p.s. i'm as big a hop snob as they come without being totally absurd, and i'll recommend hoptimum day in and day out.

38. I guess I can only speak to my experience, but I can usually get Sculpin that tastes pretty fresh to me now that Ballast Point is in MD, and didn't have a problem getting it before that, from a friend in NJ.

39. Mealhouse

Mealhouse Savant (365) Minnesota Feb 19, 2012

Going to want to wait awhile to seek out any abrasive its only a December to March seasonal from Surly so anything you'd get now wouldn't be fair to stack up against Heady.

40. How about Dale's Deviant. It has a great hop profile, though is a bit maltier, and comes in a similar tallboy :)

This may be my vote because it has been a recent favorite of mine. Going to try the Gubna tonight.