1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Closest beer to Heady Topper

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by danedelman, Jul 30, 2012.

1. lvoutlawjlh

lvoutlawjlh Savant (315) Nebraska Mar 15, 2012

2. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Advocate (540) Florida Sep 13, 2011

Agreed
    franklinn and pschul4 like this.
  3. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (555) California Aug 26, 2009

I agree with them being pretty close to each other. I had a growler of Abner on Sunday followed by a can of HT later that evening and I have a tough time picking a favorite. Not that this helps the OP very much, but it makes the drive to VT a bit better knowing you can get both.
  4. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

I'd had to say Double Sunshine (I actually think it's a little better). I know that doesn't really help since DS is harder to get. Sorry!
  5. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Savant (330) New York Mar 3, 2010

Deviant tastes absolutely nothing like Heady. I love DD, but it's far off.

Spot on. Double Sunshine is like a more pungent Heady.
  6. If you've tasted cat pee, why haven't you submitted a review?
    cowbird, DyingBreed and ChanChan like this.
  7. In my opinion reviewing is a waste of time. I don't care about the reviews others write and I assume no one cares about the reviews I would write.
    jmw likes this.
  8. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (615) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

lvoutlawjlh likes this.
  9. DanE

DanE Savant (400) Connecticut Feb 24, 2012

Deviant Dale's is my everyday go to. Especially when my wife says I can have only 1 beer. 16 oz + 8% ABV = loophole biatchez.

PS...I love GUBNA, but be prepared for the Summit hop profile!
    ChanChan likes this.
  10. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

get ready for the onion bomb :D.

i don't think deviant dale's is anything like heady topper, but i do think they're both very good.

i do think deviant dale's should be more bitter though, much like dale's itself. it's still a very worthy buy for the delicious hop flavor, but i wish it were a touch less sweet / more bitter.
  11. Not a bad call. Definitely a different beer but definitely some similarities.
  12. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

13. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Abrasive is as close as I've had.
  14. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Savant (450) Minnesota Aug 21, 2005

Mmmm. I must like cat pee. It's good to know that it will be accessilble year round from now on. Here kitty, kitty...:D
  15. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

Haha!! I always double check that I am ONLY talking about aroma when I use the phrase "cat pee" when referring to beer!
  16. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

Nothing that I know of. I have a monthly routine

weekend one - Heady
    weekend two - Lawson's Double Sunshine (gotta plan ahead for this one)
    weekend three- Heady
    weekend 4 - Hill Farmstead DIPA

I'd really like to introduce something else - but these are my current addictions.
  17. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

I'd like to swap some fresh Heady for fresh Abrasive when it comes out this year, but a December to March trade from Vermont to Minnesota = trading for a 4 pack of popsicles.
  18. I know its not a double IPA but Flower power smells and tastes a lot like Heady .
    gkingus likes this.
  19. I was entertaining the family on Father's Day, and my brother and his brood came out for the party. We didn't really talk about beer beforehand because he sort of stopped drinking it a while ago due to an allergy, so I just got what I like. He's not adverse to having one every now and then, so I poured a fairly fresh Flower Power for him and said something along the lines of 'prepare to be amazed'. Well, he takes a sip and says, "pretty nice- that's kind of like what my buddy John brought me down from Vermont, but not quite as good." D'oh! Obviously he was talking about Heady Topper- and here's the kicker: he had an extra can in his fridge at home, but didn't know it was sought-after or he would've brought it for me.

Anyway, it would seem that my brother would agree with you, at least.;)
  20. mmblz

mmblz Aspirant (30) New Hampshire Jan 20, 2012

Closest I've had is Sixpoint Resin. It's really not the same overall but there's at least something similar about it.
  21. nc41

nc41 Advocate (600) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

HT is unique, and I haven't had another DIPA that was quite the same, and I've had some really good ones too. Alchemist just hit the right combo and balance, and they're consistent as hell. I think Lagunitas Sucks to be very similar to Pliny, and I can't wait till it's round again.
  22. Society and Solitude #4
  23. m4ttj0nes

m4ttj0nes Aficionado (215) Oregon Feb 21, 2012

Divorce?
    SFACRKnight likes this.
  24. Drinking a fresh Lawsons Chinooker'd IPA that I picked up this weekend. I think this is the closest thing I have had to Heady. I had Heady and Double Sunshine this weekend and the Chinooker'd is as close as it gets.
  25. Chugs13

Chugs13 Savant (430) New Jersey Dec 11, 2011

I think Hop Stoopid is pretty reminiscent, and not to mention affordable and available.
  26. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

An imperial version of Finestkind? Maaaaaybe?

I read something interesting recently about the yeast they use in Heady, and it sounds like they spent years dialing in exactly what they wanted out of the yeast before we got to the Heady that we have today.

Sidenote, I love Big A but if Smutty released an "imperial Finestkind" I think I'd love them forever.
  27. Newbie954

Newbie954 Aspirant (25) Aug 12, 2012

28. I really think that Ithaca Flower power has a very similar flavor profile, just not quite as thick/strong.
  29. jamvt

jamvt Savant (470) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

The only IPA I've had that remotely reminds me of Heady is Abrasive.
  30. mlord

mlord Initiate (15) Sep 7, 2012

Hill Farmstead Double Citra.

Also if you can get Lawson's Double Sunshine.
  31. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

Abner and HT are my favorite DIPAs, though I really don't find them to be nearly identical. Sure, there are some similarities, but definitely different beasts.

All I can say is good luck in finding a viable heady substitute!
  32. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

You mean I've been checking this site for your beer reviews every day for the last two years for nothing? Dammit.
    fmccormi likes this.
  33. Resin was not very good IMO, and not like HT at all.
    fmccormi likes this.
  34. plumcrazyfx

plumcrazyfx Savant (420) Minnesota Aug 26, 2010

Abrasive - but that's no easier to find than HT unless you live in MN.
  35. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

I'm just gonna call it. I've had a lot of hoppy beers (not as many as most of you probably, but still) and Heady is pretty unique.
    DevilsCups likes this.
  36. I would agree on the Simcoe.
  37. Can't believe this thread is still going on but I just made a beer that satisfies me the same. [​IMG]
    grassrootsVT likes this.
  38. Mine is simcoe/Amarillo/cascade. Like a mini heady. 6%abv.
  39. Sixpoint's Resin
  40. 12vman

12vman Zealot (90) New York Feb 8, 2008

IMHO... Nothing comes close to the trinity of Heady Topper, Lawson's Double Sunshine, and several offerings from Hill Farmstead. (Considering moving to Northern VT because of that...) However, those are about as easy to obtain as hen's teeth, at least in upstate NY. In a pinch, I agree with Beercup, in that Ithaca Flower Power has a similar hop profile. Also found Cigar City's Jai Alai IPA (Tampa, FL) while on vacation and that has a similar hop profile. Similar, but not the same.