Closest beer to Heady Topper

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by danedelman, Jul 30, 2012.

1. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Have tasted many of the recommendations on this thread, and some of them are just plain silly, others are impossible to get for you without trading/shipping. Most of them are not that close.

Abrasive and Kern River Citra are the two closest but don't distro to you.

Also very close, but a sorta different hop character, is a beer by Iron Hill that you may have access to when they release this on a rotating basis
    Krypotonite

Kadonny, chase2634 and Crabbicuss like this.
  2. mgp2675

mgp2675 Initiate (0) New Jersey Oct 30, 2007

Nothing comes close to it for me. The best DIPA I've ever had actually wasn't Heady, it was Pliny the Younger on tap...but from a can/bottle, Heady takes the cake. Citra comes very close though.

3. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Not like HT at all, but a fine DIPA. Especially considering how easy it is to come by in comparison.

I would, however, never tell somebody to expect it to be like Heady Topper. They'd be sorely disappointed. lol

4. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Holy cow I am glad I read this, I was about to order a bunch of this for an 80's party coming up, but if it is close to as hoppy as Heady no one would likely drink it.

5. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

It's probably too hoppy for a party with non-beer lovers, but it's nowhere close to Heady.

6. Joshuamcsee

Joshuamcsee Aspirant (30) Aug 13, 2012

Closest I've found is the New Belgium/LOF/Alpine Super IPA. I think that was a limited release but having tried both its really, really similar. Like drinking a mango.

surfcaster likes this.
  7. PittBeerGirl

PittBeerGirl Advocate (655) Ohio Feb 27, 2007

Heady Topper is a very bright, intense DIPA.

Actually its probably my favorites of the fresh IIPAs I have tasted. I even like it better than Pliney the Elder and Younger. Looks like my other favorite IIPAs are Captain Lawrence Captains Reserve, Fresh 90 minutew at DFH brewpub, Stone Ruination, Weyerbacher Double Simcoe.

The cool thing about Heady Topper is you visit a lot of different hop characteristics. Most of the brew I listed above highlight a single hop flavor.

8. PittBeerGirl

PittBeerGirl Advocate (655) Ohio Feb 27, 2007

Abrasive is well- abrasive- lots of hops and hop bitterness...thoough abrasive features a lot of hop characteristics Heady Topper offers a lot more flavor and hop experience without as much lingering resin.

9. This one is very close in hop character.....

10. Though it's not Heady (and no beer has to be), OTWOA is pretty DAMN GOOD and has it's own approach which gives it a personal place, high on top, in a very diluted category of Imperial/DIPA ales. Heady is Heady, and OTWOA is OTWOA. !!! There are some similar notes shared between the two, but each has it's own distinctive characteristics which make both of them one of those "Wow" beers.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/25327/78517

rolandboy likes this.
  11. Great DIPA I have had it fresh on tap and was very impressed.

12. You need to look at the hops that are used...New Zealand sauv blanc tends to have more grapefruit than the lemongrass from Napa...same with hops...citra from New Zealand would be a great place to start.

13. Yez Zur!!!! Drinking one now out of the latest bottling and still saying Wow after saying it all day Saturday down at the Brau :)

14. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Abrasive is the only brew I've had that is close to HT taste profile. Different, i think Abrasive has more grapefruit and is more bitter, but it's a great DIPA.

15. chase2634

chase2634 Savant (315) Pennsylvania Nov 10, 2009

I would have to agree that Kryptonite came to mind but certainly a little different hop character. I would love to do a side by side next time i have the chance. Kryptonite was one of the pleasant surprises of the year for me.

16. Agree completely. One of my favorite beers. Had one on tap last weekend.

17. Double Sunshine
    There are a few Kernel IPA's that are in the same class as HT for me too. They aren't messing around at the Kernel.

7clutch likes this.
  18. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

As much as Abrasive and Elevated remind me of Heady, we did a taste test between all 3 and they aren't even close.

I rated them:
    1. Abrasive - Most unique, great juicy hop profile that stays sweet
    2. Heady - Most balanced, a hint of pepper creeps in with the sweet fruity hops
    3. Elevated - This beer is awful when directly compared to the other two

The Heady really is a pallet killer though. 1 swig of Heady and the Abrasive tastes weird for about 2 sips. The Elevated had little to no smell or flavor when drinking the other 2. On it's own, it's a tasty IPA (and even reminded me of Heady when I first had it), but completely overshadowed by the 2 IIPAs that are the cream of the crop.

AleFredO likes this.
  19. SkiBum22

SkiBum22 Savant (465) New York Oct 18, 2009

Abner is the only DIPA that's been similar to Heady for me

20. Abrasive is similar at best

21. what about White Rajah? I'm not saying it's as good, but it's definitely similar, and possibly easier to land?

I'm drunk... and don't trade for either regularly, so don't judge me too harshly.

22. dar482

dar482 Advocate (700) New York Mar 9, 2007

Despite all these suggestions, you're from PA. I'm from NY. I've yet to have a beer that's very close. Sculpin has a bit of similarity, but nothing so far has matched the fruitiness, drinkability, huge hop bitterness, just a perfect beer for me so far.

23. Mshull

Mshull Aficionado (215) Ohio Mar 26, 2013

For me Columbus bohdi tastes very similar

24. dougfur

dougfur Savant (345) New York Jan 24, 2011

I can't believe some of the beers being compared to Heady Topper here. This thread is strengthening my growing opinion that everyone tastes everything completely differently. Sculpin?!

The closest thing I've had is Abrasive, which I see a number of other people have mentioned... Maybe there is some consistancy...

25. tdmccarthy

tdmccarthy Savant (445) Illinois May 6, 2010

i had a littke IIPA tasting early rhis week with a couple other guys and had Heady for the first time. I was extremely impressed. It lived up to the hype, but we also had Abrasive, PtE, Three Floyds Permanent Funeral, Palate Wrecker , and New Glarus IIPA. I've also had Hoptimum, Double Crooked Tree, Alchemy Hour, White Rajah and Head Hunter recently.

I loved every single one of these beers, and had tried most already but Abrasive was the only one really similar to Heady in my opinion. . I liked it just about as much, too.

26. We drank HF Harlan next to Heady Topper at Hunahpu's and they really weren't too dissimilar. They were both excellent and had a similar yeast profile (Does HF use Conan for any strains?).

If I were you, I would just trade for more Heady.

27. nc41

I'd say HF Abner is the closest I've tried, and it's still not quit there. But if you can get Abner it's easier to go to Alchemist.

28. Lawson's Double Sunshine in my opinion is better, but much harder to get... Otherwise anything from Hill Farmstead is amazing especially if you can get someone to ship you a fresh growler. I had a fresh growler of Double Citra a few weeks back thanks to local BA Shakory as well as a fresh growler of Edward. Both were absolutely amazing. I actually think Edward may top ZD in my opinion. HF really do have amazing IPA's.

29. nc41

HF Susan was a tremendous brew, but one of the hops is really hard to get so Susan may be no more.

30. gkingus

gkingus Disciple (70) Rhode Island Jan 15, 2013

I had a Heady Topper, then an Ithaca Flower Power back to back the other day. They were VERY similar to me. Both have that peachy hoppiness.

31. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

Founders Double Trouble surprised me with how much it reminded me of Heady. I did notice the higher alcohol content but the flavor overall was pretty close for me.

32. VDODSON

VDODSON Savant (310) North Dakota Feb 5, 2013

Wish I lived near Vermont, have been wanting to try Heady for over a year.

33. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Savant (485) Arizona Nov 14, 2010

Abrasive is about as close as any IMO. But why not just find and drink Heady Topper? That stuff rocks!

34. When I had my first can of Heady Topper last Sunday my second thought was "this beer reminds me of Stone Enjoy By (5.17.13)". I don't know if I could identify one or the other in a blind taste test.

35. Closest beer to Heady Topper? Hmmmm. Let me think. Another Heady Topper!!!!!!!!!

36. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Savant (330) New York Mar 3, 2010

Enjoy By has much more of a vegetal hop note to me

37. Blue Dot reminds me of it a bit.

38. raynmoon

raynmoon Advocate (575) California Aug 13, 2011

Probably Sierra Nevada Torpedo.

Or maybe Sam Adams Noble Pils?