1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Closest beer to Heady Topper

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by danedelman, Jul 30, 2012.

1. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

The beer I just drank will be the closest to the heady I'm drinking.

2. I will be trying this from a growler for the first time tomorrow, and I can't wait.

3. shredder83

shredder83 Savant (430) Illinois Feb 21, 2013

Bohdi is the bee's knees!

DrewSp and GimmeGumballHead like this.
  4. dougfur

dougfur Savant (345) New York Jan 24, 2011

Had my first Gandhi Bot the other night, and while it's not exactly like Heady Topper, I was struck by the similarities. Great beer!

waddellc2, scootsmal and Bizoneill like this.
  5. MITCHELLMPLS

MITCHELLMPLS Savant (295) Minnesota Dec 13, 2011

ABRASIVE!!!

Mplsmetro57, sneth019 and illy0sis like this.
  6. Pwbres

Pwbres Savant (365) New Hampshire Mar 25, 2013

Stone Ruination has shown the closest resemblance for me

7. yoitsarch

yoitsarch Savant (365) California Nov 13, 2012

Lagunitas Sucks when fresh batches come back this fall.

CLCardinal84 likes this.
  8. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

I've yet to try anything that's crazy close.

There's a local place in NH (Nepenthe ales) makes a IIPA called Lotus Eater - when it first came out last year the first batch of it was fairly close to Heady - it even looked like it. They've been tweaking the recipe quite a bit and I haven't had any that came close to that first batch, but that was the closest I've ever had.

If you homebrew, this recipe is amazing. Get a hold of some Conan yeast and you'll be golden. http://signpostbrewing.com/heady-topper-clone-brew-4-0/ I brewed a batch recently and I think it's incredibly close (I did a side by side with the real HT.)

velcrogrip and cavedave like this.
  9. AntG21

AntG21 Aficionado (220) Liberia Aug 4, 2014

Does Abner come in cans?

10. At a glance, this thread seems to me to be people saying what they think is as good...which is hilarious to me because I think like 20 IPAs/DIPAs are better (queue the quintissential 'but I can't get those either).

Anyways, I think that Lunch and Bissell Substance both have some distinct similarities to Heady flavor-wise

11. I'm surprised by the Nepenthe comment. I tried a few of their beers when I lived in NH and they were about as amateurish as I've ever tasted for a commercial brewery. It was like tasting the ingredients of a beer rather than drinking the finished product, if that makes sense.

bcoyle and AntG21 like this.
  12. dbrelsfo

dbrelsfo Savant (385) Georgia Apr 17, 2013

I had a new brew at one of my local breweries that is IMO very close to heady, except for a little more malt would be needed on the back end. It is called Transmigration of Souls from Orpheus and it is amazing! It is a very high quality beer!

jpellett251 likes this.
  13. PuckIt

PuckIt Savant (345) Pennsylvania Feb 6, 2014

…in 32oz bottles *facepalm*

14. CraftFan5

CraftFan5 Advocate (505) New York May 14, 2013

This:
    I believe my description of Bodhi when I first had it was "looks like Pliny, tastes like Heady."

AntG21 likes this.
  15. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Haven't tried Substance yet, but to me Lunch tastes like Pliny the Elder. Have yet to have a beer tastes like Heady because Conan yeast gives beer such a disitinctive character, and John Kimmich is probably the only pro brewer can mix hop mastery with Conan mastery well enough to make it.

16. AntG21

I take it Conan is a type of yeast? Does it really play that large a role?

17. The closest that I have found to Heady has been NoDa Hop Drop and Roll
    Both come in a can, both have a similar nose (Heady's is better), similar mouthfeel, both have those wonderful little particles floating around (god I love that shit). I prefer Heady but HopDrop is not far behind

Walkerjgt and Mojosly like this.
  18. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Regardless of which beers I may or not like more...I'm not sure ANY truly taste like Heady does. Abner and (maybe) Ephraim kinda do, but not quite. Some of the west coast items I see on this list might as well be a totally different style, for better or worse.

cavedave likes this.
  19. Hefewiseman

Hefewiseman Savant (355) Florida Sep 6, 2011

Probably HF Society and Solitude 5, Maine Dinner, and Fort George/Boneyard/Block 15 3-Way IPA.

vonnerbeer likes this.
  20. cavedave

Yes, and YESSSSS!!!!!

thatoneguymike and AntG21 like this.
  21. AntG21

2beerdogs likes this.
  22. WTKeene

WTKeene Advocate (580) Texas Jul 13, 2013

Odell Myrcenary is an astonishingly close approximation of Heady if you ask me.

ParkbrauFan and Vukusich like this.
  23. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

24. Substance! It's also very addictive.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    vonnerbeer and Tidesox28 like this.
  25. cavedave

26. MBC Another One is pretty much Heady's little brother.

nolanz14 and Vukusich like this.
  27. I always thought Elevated IPA was Heady's little brother. Another beer that is close is Second Fiddle.

BearDownCats and Csparks33 like this.
  28. I thought the same about Double Trouble

29. I think Second Fiddle is similar in style to Heady, and I go back and forth between which I prefer. Also, Infiniti brewing in Portland Me makes a "head stash" IPA that is the best attempt at a Heady clone as I've ever tasted.

30. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Surprised no one from Vermont on here has said Second Fiddle yet. Good thing the new batch comes out tomorrow! It's easily worth driving or trading for.

texaswhiplash and end_27 like this.
  31. end_27

end_27 Advocate (515) Illinois Sep 23, 2012

The Substance.....aka: Heady Topper Lite :D

32. mohawk5

mohawk5 Aficionado (190) New Jersey Jul 24, 2014

Carton 077XX

33. HopBomb515

HopBomb515 Savant (490) New Jersey Jun 15, 2013

It's not the same. But, it might be better. That comes from someone who LOVES Heady.

34. mlhyatt

mlhyatt Savant (445) Georgia Jul 27, 2013

I haven't tried any one beer that would taste like heady by itself. However if you mixed stone ruination and laguniats sucks together, I think you'd be pretty close. Ruination has the hop presence and the pine taste that heady has, and sucks has the smooth tropical fruit flavor that heady has, so by bringing them together I think it'd be prettt close.

35. Two things instantly came to mind--less exact from a pure taste standpoint but more the unique mouthfeel.

Alpine Nelson
    Omnipollo Fatamorgana

Neither easy to find.

On the "easy" to access front--Enjoy By sometimes has some similar notes and "bigness"

JakerLou and HopBomb515 like this.
  36. johnjohnbeer

johnjohnbeer Savant (340) Kentucky Oct 27, 2012

Heady is in a league of its own IMO. The pure hop flavor is just beautiful, with no bitterness at all. I love how dry is finishes as well. There are other IPAs i like, but nothing has rocked me like Heady. That being said.....

Who wants to hook it up with some Hop Drop and Roll?

37. p90beer

p90beer Aficionado (125) Delaware Jan 10, 2011

I would like some other thoughts on Maine Beer Co's "Another One". I poured for me and my wife and she said "tastes just like HT". I sipped again and said "yeh, I can see that" .....

38. nolanz14

nolanz14 Savant (275) Massachusetts Aug 31, 2009

Another One flies under the radar with all the dinner and lunch talk. IMO it's better than Lunch. It's unbelievable but it's an IPA and not DIPA. Heady has such a unique hop taste it stands by itself. There are other DIPA's almost as good but not as unique.

pgrenvicz likes this.
  39. racer2k

racer2k Savant (360) Massachusetts May 21, 2004

HT is a tough one to duplicate especially fresh. However I have found some similar taste notes in Founders Double Trouble and Maine Beer Company's Another One...I do not think that Maine Lunch is that close...the subtle malt backbone does not match...still damn tasty though..

40. racer2k

racer2k Savant (360) Massachusetts May 21, 2004

Agree. I like Another One better than Lunch....Lunch has a subtle dry malt backbone finish that fades the hop bomb away...Another One is full on and citrusy much closer to HT..

nolanz14 likes this.