1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cloves in Zot and Leffe beer?

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by headache56, Oct 22, 2012.

1. headache56

headache56 Initiate (15) Oct 22, 2012

I just got back from a short trip to Brugge and, as a amateur, I enjoyed most of the many beers I tried.

To me, Leffe beer (and to a lesser extent the Zot beer from Henry Maes Half Moon Brewery) have a taste of cloves. The people running the Half Moon brewery tour say they only use yeast, Hops, malt and water for flavouring and it is the combination of 4 types of yeast that gives a clove-like flavour. I am not an expert but that does not ring quite true.

On other sites, I have seen reference to "yeast soaked in clove oil" and "hammer of clove" (what is that?) in some beers. Could this be what I am tasting in Leffe and Zot ?

Hope I have posted this in the correct page.

2. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

You can get clove from phenol's which is produced from the yeast.

headache56 likes this.
  3. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

4-vinyl guaiacol is the culprit. A clove flavored phenol common in German hefeweizen and some Belgians.

headache56 likes this.
  4. Yeast can very much give off a flavor of cloves. As you continue to experience beer, prepare to be amazed at just how many different flavors you can get from different kinds of yeast!

5. headache56

headache56 Initiate (15) Oct 22, 2012

Thank you for the interesting information. Much appreciated.