Clown Shoes beer in Colorado

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by joshclauss, Apr 2, 2013.

1. denver10

denver10 Champion (910) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Eh, I just re-read this statement and hope I was not misunderstood. My reference to being retarded was directed at Mission at the idea they would send old beer into a new market, not any individual poster.

2. I think most non-retarded people would have guessed that.

3. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (615) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

The only people who would get offended are the retards sending old IPA's to a state that has a reputation for drinking good beer. If mission or clown shoes send old IPA's it's their own fault and are, indeed, retarded.

4. denver10

Better safe than sorry, which is why I clarified just in case....

Went to pick up a 4 pack of the Clown Shoes Tramp Stamp....ended up seeing some 2012 Parabola and Ommegang's Gnomegang on the shelves and ended up spending my money on those instead. No regrets there.

(Also saw that Pliny bottles have finally made it onto the shelves here in Fort Collins, at least at Wilburs. Bottle date 3-2 I believe so I guess its 2 months past its prime at this point?)

5. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (315) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

More like 4 months old. KellerPliny or no Pliny at all.

6. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (550) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

The RIS by Mission is solid!

7. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Savant (445) Colorado Apr 29, 2012

8. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,075) Colorado May 19, 2005

My rep didn't know of Clown Shoes or ever heard of Enjoy By. That's kinda funny (but not in a funny way)

9. MarkyMOD

MarkyMOD Advocate (680) Colorado Apr 5, 2012

Just bought a tramp stamp that was bottled on 3/08/2013, that's about as fresh as I was hoping for, good enough for me. Had a Porcine Unidragon the other night, which a friend brought me a couple months ago, and it was amazing. Was one of the best BA stouts I've had, on the same level as Eclipse Elijah Craig 12yr. Can we expect Luchador En Fuego Mr. Clown Shoes rep? Really hope so, really hope you guys ramp up your BA program too, you've got something going there.
    Super glad Clown Shoes is in CO, have never had a bad beer from your brewery, you and AleSmith were the saving grace of the AZ beer scene when I lived there. Now I'm going to go scour the town in hopes you sent some Angry Beast.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  10. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Savant (495) Colorado Jul 22, 2005

Got some details from the Clown Shoes guys last week for the blog. Just posted a little while ago. Good stuff for sure.

http://brewtallyinsane.com/2013/04/07/clown-shoes-kicks-off-in-colorado/

MarkyMOD likes this.
  11. MarkyMOD

Thanks for the info, still hoping we'll get some Angry Beast and bigger stuff like Porcine Unidragon, I mean they made it to AZ... Really diggin your blog by the way, ran into it a couple times before, but finally read a few articles and gave it the spot it deserves on my phone's home screen. Keep up the advocation.

drumrboy22 likes this.
  12. Mebuzzard

More Clown Shoes will arrive next month. Only a 1/2 truck load made it here the first time = allocation

13. We are planning on sending both Porcine Unidragon and Angry Beast to Colorado in the next couple of months. I'll try and update this thread once we ship it out.

Cheers!

14. Actually the next truck for Colorado is departing from Massachusetts this week, so it should arrive in Colorado sometime next week and will include a wider variety of Clown Shoes beers as well as Brash Beers. My guess is those beers will be available in the Colorado market the week of April 22nd...

15. Are you saying Brash Beers are also going to be available in Colorado?

16. MYJELLOMISFIT

MYJELLOMISFIT Initiate (0) Colorado Jan 14, 2007

Yeah I want the Brash stuff.

drumrboy22 and ssteigerwald like this.
  17. Jasonrm72

Excellent!
    Angry Beast is superb. Haven't had a chance to try Porcine yet, but can't wait.
    Had some Vampire Slayer at Backcountry Pizza this past weekend, my memory was correct: Delicious.

18. Steve_0

Steve_0 Savant (295) Colorado Mar 14, 2012

Flight of the Pimp?

19. MarkyMOD

I'm also curious if we'll get this or Luchador En Fuego.

20. Unfortunately both Flight of the Pimp and Luchador en Fuego are sold out and we aren't planning on making either until at least 2014. The good news is that we plan on sending some of each of the 6 new extreme or barrel aged beers we will release throughout the rest of the year.

I also made a slight mistake about Angry Beast, it's coming back as a new beer this year called "Very Angry Beast". The original Angry Beast was a blend of barrel aged Blaecorn and non-barrel aged Vampire Slayer, whereas Very Angry Beast is a blend of 100% barrel aged Vampire Slayer and Blaecorn Unidragon. Be on the look out for that beer in May.

Cheers

MarkyMOD and Jasonrm72 like this.
  21. Jasonrm72

quick message back and forth with the Brash guy, Brash got picked up by CR Goodman in Denver. He wasn't sure when the beers would hit shelves and didn't divulge which beers were on the way.

ssteigerwald likes this.
  22. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (315) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Is there some connection between Clown Shoes and Brash, or is it just that you both contract out of Mercury Brewing Co?

23. drumrboy22

Was told the initial delivery, which heads our way this week, will be Bollocks, Item Nine and Texas Exile.

24. drumrboy22

Thanks, I appreciate it.

25. There certainly is a connection between Clown Shoes and Brash. The owner of Brash, Ben, owns a fantastic beer bar in Texas called The Petrol Station, where they served Clown Shoes beers when we first launched in Houston. The owner of Clown Shoes, Gregg, traveled to Houston and while doing an event at the Petrol Station became fast friends with Ben. Ben then revealed to Gregg his plans for opening his own brewery and also the difficulties of doing so in Texas. Ben's ideas stuck with Gregg and we worked out a deal with him and Mercury where they would brew Ben's beers and the team at Clown Shoes would handle the distribution for it around the country.

26. Doodler

Doodler Savant (325) Colorado Oct 17, 2009

Drinking a very tasty Vampire Slayer Smoked Impy Stout tonite with some BBQ. Yum...balanced and perfect - not too sweet or as cloying like many west coast impys. Will kill the whole bomber easy. :D Happy to have these here. I say try this one for sure & see....

joshclauss and drumrboy22 like this.
  27. Mebuzzard

I'm sorry, what did you say? I couldn't stop looking at your....tank top

FarmerTed likes this.
  28. mindswoop

mindswoop Savant (255) Texas Dec 22, 2011

I see Clown Shoes somewhat like Lagunitas...very good beers, sometimes great beers, unbeatable value with pricing. I drink most of their barrels stouts and never feel I paid too much, which is increasingly uncommon in craft beer today.

FarmerTed likes this.
  29. MYJELLOMISFIT

MYJELLOMISFIT Initiate (0) Colorado Jan 14, 2007

Where is the "unbeatable value with pricing"? $10.99 four-pack 12oz for a 7% abv IPA? Myrcenary is the same price and 9%. Not to argue abv vs price but really... Flying Dog Raging Bitch is $12.99 six-pack and 8.30% rated a 89 and Tramp Stamp is 7.0%, four-pack and rated an 88 on this site. Value this is not, but "value" is all in the eyes of the beholder.

poonamibaxter likes this.
  30. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (550) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

I'll take Sucks!! Lagunitas and Clown Shoes aren't even in the same league! I like the stouts Clown Shoes make and their Hoppy Feet is pretty good. Not into their IPAs/taste.

31. Domingo

Domingo Poobah (1,030) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Had Vampire Slayer at FC a few minutes ago. Was definitely good and on par with the better RIS beers, but I'm not sure if there's a compelling reason to get one over say...Storm King, Stone RIS, or one of the Yeti variations. I still think Czar is the best RIS bomber. Still, Vampire Slayer WAS really good.

32. Kuester

Kuester Aficionado (175) Colorado May 14, 2012

Agreed with you there. Love Czar, and were spoiled by so many great stouts, just had a draught Yeti last night that blew my mind. But lord knows what I would do to the liquor store shelves around here if Imperial Biscotti Break was to be found! That's one we're all missing out on. (Except when I can get to Missouri!)

33. Fitshaced

Fitshaced Aficionado (230) Colorado Feb 29, 2012

Thanks Clown Shoes for coming to Colorado I've Been wanting to try some of your offerings.

Going to get a vampire slayer. Anyone know if Hoppy feet and Hoppy feet 1.5 made it this round?

SalukiAlum likes this.
  34. Mebuzzard

for shame.
    ...and it's 9 straight ;)

35. chicano4craft

chicano4craft Savant (320) Colorado Apr 18, 2009

People still buy Storm King? ;)

denver10 likes this.
  36. Jasonrm72

that's what I was thinking, I find SK to be entirely too hoppy. A hoppy stout, no thanks. And it's brother Dark Intrigue isn't any better.

There are readily available imperial stouts I like more than Vampire Slayer, but it is still a good one. The price is the same generally as the Yetis, so I would have to be in the mood for an IS that isn't Yeti for me to buy a bottle of VS instead, but that generally doesn't happen ... I'm always in the mood for Yeti. I'm more likely to grab VS on tap while out and about.
    I did try Supa Hero yesterday, I'm not big into IPAs, but I liked this one, along the lines of Dank, resin and pine with a touch of bitter.

37. denver10

Any beer that can be put in the same sentence as Yeti, I am happy to have on the local shelves.

(That said, a beer in the same sentence as Storm King has the opposite effect.)

SalukiAlum likes this.
  38. Kuester

Kuester Aficionado (175) Colorado May 14, 2012

Right!!! Can't be in that place for too long! I don't go more than 3 miles over the border, and it's still Kansas City lol. It's when I go to Kansas though to visit fam, and I have to make that beer run every time! For Founders, Bells, Evil Twin, Southern Tier...and that one time I got BCBS! So worth it!

Yea I need to get that fixed. They don't have a good "icon" on google images for the 9th. Might make one...

39. Domingo

Domingo Poobah (1,030) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Storm King is the "forgotten" great stout IMO. In general, Victory has pretty much fallen off the radar on BA. I still think they're one of the best breweries in the country and their beers are dirt cheap.

Anywhoo - with Vampire Slayer, it reminded me a little of the Czar. Not quite as big on the molasses notes (which make the Czar my favorite), but still similar. Definitely not as hoppy or massive as Yeti, but it's of comparable quality.

blindpiggie likes this.
  40. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

saw an ipa (supa hero) dated from january. sorry, but no thanks. sitting beside double jack, etc, just cant do it.

please send fresh IPA.