Dismiss Notice
Get 12 monthly issues of BeerAdvocate magazine and save $5 when you select "auto-renew."

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join our email list →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.

CO2 bottle on its side

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by csurowiec, Dec 15, 2012.

1. csurowiec

csurowiec Savant (425) Maryland Mar 7, 2010 Verified

I have a fridge that I have converted into a kegerator. Since I made the conversion the co2 bottle has stood next to the keg in the fridge. I would like to mount it horizontally but I'm not sure if that would cause problems either with the bottle or the regulator. Any thoughts?

2. The CO2 tank needs to be positioned with the valve on top. This way, it's only releasing gas. Any other position is likely to allow liquid CO2 to get into the regulator and possibly the line and the keg. While I've never witnessed this, I suspect it would damage the regulator, and maybe burst the line and possibly the keg - neither was designed to hold upwards of 500psi. Not to mention the possibility of injury.

3. IceAce

IceAce Advocate (615) California Jan 8, 2004 Verified

DON'T LAY A CO² TANK WITH A REGULATOR ATTACHED ITS SIDE!!!

EVER!!!

4. csurowiec

csurowiec Savant (425) Maryland Mar 7, 2010 Verified

Thanks for the quick responses. When I did this conversion I had to build a base in the bottom of the fridge to give enough flat surface for a 1/2 keg because the compressor is in the bottom back of the fridge. Under this base in front of the compressor is enough dead space to fit the bottle but only horizontally. I thought it would clean things up to conceal the bottle but if it has to stay vertical then it will stay where it is.