1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

CO2 kegging/bottle question

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jkdrummer, Mar 9, 2012.

1. jkdrummer

jkdrummer Savant (270) Washington Sep 2, 2005

So is the only way to get co2 is through my LHBS through a bottle exchange program? Are there places other than LHBS that you can take your bottle to and get it filled?

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Some possibilities...
    - Beer Distributor
    - Bottled Gas Suppliers that cater to restaurants
    - Fire protection suppliers

Most places won't fill your tank for you though. They will exchange your empty for a full one.

3. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

I get mine at a welding supply store. I can exchange a 20 pound bottle for $12. I do have a 2 pound bottle I use for taking kegs to parties. Since it's the only one in town I have to drop it off and pick it up a few days later.

4. memory

memory Savant (250) Pennsylvania Oct 2, 2005

I sometimes got it from a welding supply too, but it was talked about recently that if it's not food grade you can get some benzene. 1 % can be impurities. So ask about that.

5. dfess1

dfess1 Initiate (0) Pennsylvania May 20, 2003

i've been getting my CO2 and Beer Gas mix from a welding supply company for over 10 years. Most of the other brewers in our club, and others, go to the same place. No one has had any issues to date.

6. The LHBS and the Fire Supply store I use go fills while I wait. You might call around and see what places in your area do.

7. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

The welding shop supplies all the CO2 for all the bars in this area. The owner assures me there is no such thing as food grade CO2. I've never heard about benzene being in CO2 but I'll ask. I've been using CO2 from that store since 1995 so I guess if it's bad I'm pretty well screwed:eek:

8. My local welding supply will fill them, but it's faster to exchange, so I usually just do that. I was reluctant on my last trip since I had my brand new shiny aluminum tank. They swapped it for one that looked just as good. :) (BTW, don't waste your money on a brand new shiny aluminum tank). I asked about a 50 lb tank. They don't sell these, but they'll lease me one for $215 for a lifetime lease - just like buying it, IMO. They'll give me $100 trade-in on my brand new shiny aluminum tank, so it would end up costing me about $115. I'm tempted - a 20 lb tank lasts me about 2 1/2 years (40-ish kegs). 50 lbs should give me about 6 years, barring any leaks. A 50 lb refill is $36, while 20 lb is $30, so even if I lost it all to a leak, it's not that much of a difference (and one leak free cycle will pay for a lot of leaks!)

9. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Interesting. Will they test it for you for free when it expires?

10. Since they own it, I suspect they would. But it's certainly a question that I'll ask if I decide to go that route.

11. LLVNJ

LLVNJ Aficionado (100) New Jersey Jan 19, 2008

I get my 5 lb tank refilled at the local paintball park/store for $12

12. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

In Dallas, Tx I have both refill and exchange options at beer stores.

13. MLucky

MLucky Savant (380) California Jul 31, 2010

Man, I wish I could get the prices some you guys get. I pay $18 for a 5lb refill, and that's the cheapest I've been able to find. LHBS will exchange for $25.