1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Cold crashing and Priming sugar.

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Timmush, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am going to put my Blonde ale down to about 34 degrees after a few weeks of fermentation to clear out the beer. I am concerned by dropping more of the yeast out than I usually do by not doing this, it wont have enough yeast in the beer to properly carbonate. Should I be concerned or is my thinking flawed.
    Thanks!
  2. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (355) Louisiana Dec 3, 2005

What yeast did you use?
  3. Timmush

Wyeast Northwest Ale (1332)
  4. scurvy311

1332 is a highly floculent yeast. Are you going 34degrees for a few weeks solely for clarification of the beer, or also for maturation? Highly floculent yeast, IMO, don't really need several weeks at cold temps to clear. After ferm is complete, the time it takes to carb in the bottle is enough to drop clear. Just pour carefully.
    That being said add some yeast for insurance if you are going 3 weeks at 34.
  5. Timmush

Entering a competition with it so need to bottle it and be accurately clear.
  6. scurvy311

Sorry. I misread your post. After a few weeks of ferm, not 34 deg for a few weeks. It depends on how long then. The longer you go the less yeast will be in suspension and the longer it will take to carb w/o adding additional yeast. Adding yeast at bottling wouldn't negate cold crashing for clarity (not counting haze forming compounds)?
  7. if you force carb it, you can borrow my bottling gun. Works wonders and no need to mess with bottle conditioning.
    just another option
  8. ixodus

ixodus Savant (285) New Jersey Jul 18, 2010

Just crash cooled and gelatin'd a few beers for a some competitions coming up. Every beer has really come out nice and clear. I'd definitely recommend using some gelatin finings as well. I'd also recommend force carbing it as stated above and counterpressure fill bottles so you don't have to worry about conditioning.