1. One Hundred Mags (Rule). Check out the sneak peek of BeerAdvocate magazine #100, plus some of the changes coming your way.

Collage

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by bifrost17, May 21, 2012.

1. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Who has tried this? I picked up a bottle today, but just one, I'm trying to decide if I should open it or not. Could it use some age?

2. boMD

boMD Savant (325) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

3. bifrost17

Ahhhh thanks man.

4. NWer

NWer Advocate (670) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Maybe this thread will take over from the dinner thread. That would be a good thing.
    I had it on tap at the Deschutes Taphouse in Portland the day of the release & secured nine bottles for my stash thanks to wife & friend who don't drink beer. Though given its availability, I don't understand the three bottle limit in the first place.
    I expect it to age extremely well but you need to go back & buy another so you can decide for yourself.
    Waiting for the right day to pop a bottle to check it out in a more subdued setting.

5. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Why age something you haven't tried in the first place? Only one way to find out if you think it needs age. Better drug k One fresh now while they're still available.

dprouty and bfg75 like this.
  6. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I bought 12 bottles between Thursday morning and yesterday, and because I got half of those on Sunday (Whole Foods, 20% off) my average price was under $10/bottle. I admit I got a little (OK, very) caught up in the frenzy; last time that happened I bought a case of Parabola over the course of several weeks, and I still have 9 bottles in the cellar. Along with a case of Abyss, a dozen Stone IRS, a bunch of Abacus etc... I'm actually still debating whether to return a few bottles of Collage, which I can because it's Whole Foods.

As for whether to drink now, if you have only one bottle and don't intend to buy more, frankly I'd wait. The label says "best after 4/30/2012." Like other Deschutes beers with "best after" dates, I personally stick them in the cellar and let them mature as the brewer intends. But as others have said, if you can afford it buy another and try one now.

Reading the reviews so far, it sounds like this beer could still use some more settling down. But that could also be conjecture; who really knows how it will change in a year or two?

P.S. weird how some stores like Whole Foods had zero bottle limits but the brewpub apparently did. When I showed up on Thursday after receiving a tweet about it, some other guy who showed up @ exactly the same time bought a dozen right there. I was originally going to buy 2, then I changed my mind and grabbed 4 and by the time I was at the checkout I had 6... They got 10 cases so I figured there was plenty to go around. They still had several cases on the floor on Sunday when I stopped back in. Seattle is kind of awesome that way.

7. I bought two bottles. Will probably have one sometime this week and then let the other sit until next year.

And Whole Foods never has bottle limits. Some jackass walked out of the RSQ store with all their Abyss except for one bottle that I got. They don't have bottle limits on 120 Minute or Pliny, either.

8. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Savant (315) Oregon Aug 8, 2010

The beer was good, but its not something I will be dropping the money for again.

9. Ya i think its overhyped big time. I got the 3 bottle limit opening day. Tasted 1, saved 1 for friend, aging the 3rd one until next may. Yes this beer will get better w/ age. But if u just have one bottle, i wouldnt wait. Pop that mutha flucca open. Collage for me was a 7/10. Dissident took over the beer, which was disappointing
    A-

10. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (630) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

Weird. Given the way you gushed about the 2010 Dissident back when you were OregonKnowsBest, I'd have thought you'd be all over this release.

CaptainTripps likes this.
  11. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

I thoroughly enjoyed it. The sour to bourbon is something I have never experienced before. It was a little hot and more two or three dimensional than I would have liked but I expect both of those things to change with age. Plus I got my money's worth, it lasted me near an hour and a half. I bought three and will probably pick up a few more, truly a beer that won't be made.

12. podunkparte

Just so you know, 7/10 is 70%. That's a C-, not an A-

IpeeA, harrymel and barleywinefiend like this.
  13. podunkparte

Are you reviewing Russian River's Procrastination?

draheim likes this.
  14. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Savant (315) Oregon Aug 8, 2010

The 2010 Dissident served me in more ways then just one if you catch my drift.

15. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Ole' AJ always uses the "A-" as his signature. Check his past posts and you'll see it on every single one of them. Ramnuts alerted me to his posting prowess and now I'm a junkie waiting for my next hit!

16. LoPo87

LoPo87 Aficionado (235) Oregon Mar 9, 2012

Take this for what it's worth, but at the Collage dinner Gary and Alan were quite proud of the turnout, and the beer, Alan said he was quite proud and that we can probably expect Collage 2 in 2015. Now again, don't quote me here, but that was what was said. IF it does happen, will it be the same beer? Will it be the same 4 beers but aged in different barrels next time? I have no idea. Just thought I should point that out to those who didn't attend the dinner in Portland. It may be brewed again...

17. bifrost17

That's messed up. I work at the Interbay store and when we get Pliny in we have a 2 bottle limit, same with The Abyss, but as far as 120 minute and WWS go, buy all that you want.

18. podunkparte

Oh ok. Definitely looked like "7/10. A-" lol

19. kscaldef

kscaldef Champion (760) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

I'm confused. One-dimensional is usually a criticism of a beer. But two or three dimensional is also bad?

20. RedMedicine

Fair point, but I am kind of surprised you didn't know what I meant. I think because of the number of different beers and barrels that went into this beer, maybe I would pick up a few more layers. As it warmed up they were coming out and I expect age to help as well.

21. RedMedicine

Made the same mistake in the Oregon Brown thread.

22. kscaldef

No, it was actually hard to tell if you meant that you wanted more or less. So that we're clear, you're saying that it's still less complex than you'd like?

23. RedMedicine

Correct. I realize now why it was unclear.

24. I got acetone smells immediately after opening the bottle, but after sitting in a glass for about 45 minutes, they went away and this beer got incredible. I got lost (happily so) in the layers of oak - that part really surprised me.

25. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (530) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

I'm a big fan of this beer and the different personalities it goes through over the course of an hour +

NWer likes this.
  26. punkhim

punkhim Aficionado (215) Washington Dec 22, 2011

Totally agree with both of you (eyeenjoybeer and Shmeal). This beer was disappointing when I poured it pretty cold, but as it warmed up, everything started coming together very nicely.

27. LoPo87

Much agreed. Cold, the dissident shines through. As it warms, the Fred and and Stoic come through as the dissident settles. Then the adam slams you as it gets even warmer.

28. draheim

So to summarize this thread so far:

It's good but maybe not $11/bottle good.
    The Dissident is more dominant than most people would like.
    Don't drink it cold.
    It will probably age well.

Did I miss anything?

bifrost17 and vkv822 like this.
  29. kscaldef

You missed that lots of people love the Dissident :p

30. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (630) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

The vague disappointment Collage isn't rare?

maltmaster420 and draheim like this.
  31. LoPo87

I think the Dissident is only more prominent at cold temperatures. It is near non-existent as it warms. You nailed the rest though pretty well.

32. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (965) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

It doesn't sound like it is worth the price, letspour is selling it for $14.50 a bottle...too rich for my blood, now if everybody was calling it the bees knees I might have been able to justify it.

33. draheim

Ouch. I guess the extra $3.50 is to cover the "free" shipping. I got half of mine for under $9 so feeling pretty good about that.

34. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (405) Washington Sep 11, 2011

I picked up my two bottles during Whole Foods' 20% off sale as well. For $8.79.

35. boMD

boMD Savant (325) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

For those on the fence in PDX area you can get it on tap at HotD for $3 a 3oz right now. Which isn't bad and a great way to gauge how many bottles you want, if any.

36. NWer

That's a good deal! I paid $10 for an 8 oz pour at the release at Deschutes Public House.

37. draheim

2 12oz bottles Adam: $10
    2 12oz bottles Fred: $10
    1 22oz bottle Dissident: $13
    1 22oz bottle Stoic: $13

92oz "poor man's Collage": $46 (50₵/oz)

gklover1, CaptainTripps and NWer like this.
  38. NWer

That would be fun. Have our Mix Our Own Collage tasting

39. LoPo87

Do you have miniature barrels to age each of the beers in also? If so, please invite me over as I would attend that tasting in a heart beat.

40. kscaldef

I think you meant Adam from the Wood and Fred from the Wood, which adds a good $30-40 to the total. (Not that any of the released versions of those beers is actually the same treatment(s) that went into Collage.)

Shmeal and LoPo87 like this.