1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Collage

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by bifrost17, May 21, 2012.

1. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Hey, who ever said BAs lack of a sense of humor? ;)
    Anyway, you guys made me feel a little better about the $9.89/bottle I spent on this; not so much the 10% sales tax I paid to Seattle and Washington for a 100% Oregon-made product...
  2. oregonskibum

oregonskibum Savant (405) Oregon Mar 14, 2009

Unless you were in Portland or Bend and had the component Dissident that went into the Collage, this statement doesn't mean much. The component Dissident was a completely different beer than the 2010 (or 2008) Dissident released in the reserve series bottles. I personally thought the Dissident was the best of the component beers and enjoy the strong Dissident flavors that dominate when the beer is cold. The real drawback is that until the beer warms, the complexities the other three components add really aren't apparent. But I would hardly call the beer disappointing when cold, just more one dimensional. Of course, you can say that with almost any barrel aged beer.
  3. 1) You tacitly backed up the assertion there's too much Dissident in the blend, so apparently the statement means quite a lot

2a) Why would it matter if people had had the component or not? It's clear neither the Stoic, nor the HotD beers add the sourness found in Collage.

2b) Why does it matter if people had the component or not? Is it really going to change their opinion of the beer one way or the other? This comes off as a dismissive and overly defensive rebuttal for your opinion of the beer.

3) A lot of people, judging by the reviews, really like the beer. Others don't. It's not shocking with a beer that's blended so and has such a pedigree behind it.
  4. ggfunk

ggfunk Savant (280) Oregon Mar 29, 2010

Haha, that DIY Collage needs to happen. If only for the pure joy of shenanigans.
  5. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

I find it kind of strange that people will line up at 4 in the morning to buy something like Michael or Adam FTW for $15, and yet Collage, an equally impressive (not to mention properly carbonated) beer is generating comments like, "It's not worth $12/bottle."

The only thing I can think of is that it's lacking that elusive "rare" flavor due to wide distribution and high bottle count.
  6. boMD

boMD Savant (315) Oregon Feb 8, 2009

can you taste the rareness?
    dprouty likes this.
  7. Shmeal

Shmeal Savant (495) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

I'm not upset about this at all. It just means that I don't have to run out and buy a bunch of bottles. Nothing will make me happier than to simply walk into a bottle shop and buy a bottle whenever I get the hunger.
  8. maltmaster420

I thought I detected notes of rare, but they were overpowered by the Dissident component.
  9. So any word on if its pasturized? I'm assuming so, since its a blend of sour and sacc beers and they don't want explosive bottles.
  10. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

It's actually pasteurized in "rare." ;)
    maltmaster420 likes this.
  11. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

Is this still around on shelves? I'd like to trade for a bottle but was not sure of availability.
  12. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Or you could just buy one here (if they'll ship to NJ that is; offer ends today).
  13. DSlim71

DSlim71 Savant (495) New Jersey Mar 3, 2010

I live in New Jersey and according to the website: Can be shipped to residents of AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, LA, MD, ME, MI, MO, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, RI, SC, SD, TN, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, and WY.

Anybody want to be my letspour proxy? lol
  14. You can't spell pasteurizer without rare.
    ggfunk and waltersrj like this.
  15. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Initiate (0) Oregon Aug 8, 2010

So your saying Belmont Station has a lot of stock that isn't moving like you hoped?
  16. maltmaster420

Heh. I was afraid people would assume that, which was why I almost didn't post it. It's actually selling pretty well given the price, and I'll be happy if we still have some in stock when all the tourists descend upon us in July.
  17. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Initiate (0) Oregon Aug 8, 2010

I find the difference between the craziness of Michael, Adam FTW and the Collage is that Michael and Adam are proven beers. They are worth the investment because we all know their cellar ability. It also helps that Michael and Adam already taste really freaking good out of the gate. Collage was good, but not on the same scale of those beers in my opinion.
  18. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

HAHAHA!!! Made me lol at work...
  19. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

This tourist already has his hotel reservation:
    http://www.oregonbrewfest.com/
    maltmaster420 likes this.
  20. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Well I know I said its not worth a $12 price tag and I've never lined up to pay for Michael or Adam from the wood for $15 so I'm gonna assume my opinion isn't one in which you find kind of strange, right?

Also, once people realize their Adam FTW bottles aren't carbonated, I'm sure they would hesitate to say they were then still worth $15 per bottle. It's not like they advertise that they're selling flat beer.

What I'm sarcastically saying is the people who are saying collage isn't a $12 per bottle beer are probably not the same people who.are lining up for the beer you mentioned.
  21. Haha, that's funny... make your own... is it an even 25/25/25/25 mix, though? Plus add'l barrel aging? Hmm...
  22. RedMedicine

RedMedicine Savant (340) Oregon Jun 3, 2005

I am confused. AftW does have carbonation as intended, and Bourbon Fred was advertised as flat and sold at a discounted price as a result.
    boMD likes this.
  23. I tried Collage on tap at HOTD yesterday. I purchased the 3oz taster. I didn't try and pick apart the components of the beer, but I found it quite enjoyable. To each his own.
  24. guajolote

guajolote Savant (390) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

And it's still fucking awesome!
    HuskyinPDX and Pwnzilla like this.
  25. RedMedicine

Respectfully disagree! Drainpour for me :)
    guajolote likes this.
  26. I like it also.
  27. Rather than debate the flavors, I'll just say that when picked up 3 bottles from the neighborhood grocer, the clerk rang them up as $1.99 single bottles. I was a bit shocked, and you might call me a sucker, but I try to maintain a strong code of ethics and corrected the poor guy. (And I don't mind having done so... I quite enjoyed that first one.)

Cheers!
  28. boMD

Flat Bourbon Fred is better than carbonated AftW... IMO
    hopsbreath and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  29. Shmeal

Shmeal Savant (495) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

I wholeheartedly agree. AftW just wasn't my cup of tea
  30. maltmaster420

Now that people have had a chance to drink a few bottles we know it's properly carbonated, but given HOTD's track record you have to admit it's a crap shoot with any given release.

Perhaps Adam FTW was a poor example choice, but bottling issues have plagued HOTD for years. Several recent batches of Fred have been either undercarbed or extreme gushers (I can't even count the number of bottles people have returned to the shop). Doggie Claws had several vintages that were either dead flat, had an inch of sediment in the bottom, or both. Oh, and Michael finally seems to be developing carbonation (2.5 years after release), but it was almost completely flat when it was released.

All of that said, I love Alan's beers when they're dialed in, I'm just getting gun shy about buying untested batches off his dock.
  31. RedMedicine

Well for all of those AftW dislikers, I would be thrilled to take them off your hands and compensate you appropriately!
  32. RedMedicine

Yeah, totally. I have experienced more than my fair share of carb problems. Most frustrating for me when there are issues with Blue Dot. I need some carb. Just saying, I appreciated the heads up from Alan before the last sale.
  33. boMD

I never said I dislike AftW.... I love it. I just think Bourbon Fred gets a bad rap, and if given a choice between the two, I would sip on a Bourbon Fred.
  34. podunkparte

podunkparte Initiate (0) Washington Nov 14, 2009

Ok well that's my mistake. Again I haven't been to the HotD releases so I didn't know they addressed the issue in the price. Good for them.

My point though, is just that the people saying $12/bottle of Collage is over priced aren't necessarily the same people who spend the $15 on Michael/Adam FTW so it shouldn't confuse anyone to see both opinions expressed here by completely separate individuals.
  35. I like beer.

I like Deschutes.

I like Alan Sprints.

I purchased a fair share of Collage. The price of 11.49 a bottle was perfectly fine by me.
    libbey likes this.
  36. Michael was 10 dollars on its release day.
  37. boMD

That is correct. The only $15 HotD beers I have ever stood in line for were Matt and AftW.
  38. RedMedicine

Alan tweeted Collage keg gone at HoTD, Boubon Stoic on now.
  39. teddyarrowhead

teddyarrowhead Savant (330) Oregon Oct 23, 2009

It was on tap at the main brewery tasting room in Bend over the weekend as well. I skipped all the usual offerings and had my share of free pours. :)
  40. NWer

NWer Advocate (635) Washington Mar 10, 2009

The tastings at the Bend Deschutes brewery after the tour are very generous - and they offer the good stuff - especially when my wife is on the tour with me and she doesn't drink beer - more for me. When I was there, the "good stuff" happened to be Stoic and Abyss. Red Hook on the other hand only offers up their run-of-the-mill low end stuff. A taste of a DIPA or limited release? Forget it. Maybe that's one reason Deschutes is Deschutes and Red Hook is Red Hook.