1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Collage

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by bifrost17, May 21, 2012.

1. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,025) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I've been following the Collage reviews (haven't tried the beer myself yet), and I don't recall ever seeing a beer with so many adjectives and descriptors thrown at at. "Complex" and "unique" seem to be a pretty popular, appearing in 13/22 and 7/22 reviews, respectively. harrymel managed to use the word "oropharynx," which I had to look up. Scores seem to be trending up; it currently has an rAvg of 4.29, which is just shy of the 4.32 it would need to be a contender for the Top 100 list (unless there's some part of the algorithm I don't understand - EDIT - apparently there is, I just noticed the disrepancy between the WR and the rAvg numbers for #100). And of course it needs eight more reviews just to be eligible. If this beer truly does get better with age, as many people expect, presumably reviews/scores will improve over time as well. All of which I find interesting, given its vaguely inauspicious start.
  2. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Not as far as I'm concerned. I thought it was pretty remarkable from the get-go. I'm very glad I have my stash for the future.
  3. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Agreed. After popping a bottle open a few days ago, I might have to go stash away some more. To the portland pub!
  4. draheim

All I meant by that was, it seemed like people expected to be completely, utterly blown away, and weren't... quite. Based on the reviews alone I'm glad I got a dozen bottles though.

BTW, forgot to mention this but I saw about 36 bottles at my neighborhood Crown Hill QFC the other day (priced @ $11.99 IIRC). That store rarely gets anything like Collage, made me wonder just how much of this stuff really is out there.
  5. NWer

Exactly. I was agreeing with you in my own clumsy way. BTW - I share the same neighborhood - I grew up on Dibble.
  6. draheim

Love that street name! What is up with that? 7th, 8th, Dibble, 9th, 11th... and where the hell did 10th go? Reminds me of Floor 7½ in the Mertin Flemmer Building.
  7. The Roosevelt Whole Foods has cases sitting all over the store. The Northgate QFC has a bunch as well. I even saw it at the Fred Meyer in Auburn. Methinks a ton of this was made.
  8. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (485) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Yeah, there should be no shortage of it. Everywhere I've been still has plenty.
  9. BillHilly

BillHilly Savant (390) Washington Oct 17, 2010

This beer was kind of a let down for me...I was expecting more from these two breweries...must admit, glad I only bought one. I will however, drink one of your guy's aged ones at a tasting in the future though to see how it aged.
  10. NWer

I will gladly contribute a Collage at some future bottle share if you will contribute a Fou' Foune :)
  11. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Just finished a bottle. I think Fred dominates it a bit. Definitely complex. Sweet, spicy, reminds me of mulled wine.
  12. It appears that some grocery stores passed on it... my two bottle shop in town (16 Tons & Bier Stein) got plenty more of it...
  13. I paid $14 for my bottles. Way over priced in Spokane. I didnt see it for under $13 anywhere around here.