1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Colorado No Bottle, No Can Beerfest

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by libations, Feb 9, 2013.

1. We here at Libations are putting together a Beerfest for local Colorado breweries sometime between late April and early May with proceeds going to the Colorado Brewers Guild. The catch is that they cannot distribute cans or bottles of their beer. We figured this would be a good way for these small breweries to get their names out and allow people to try some of their awesome beer without having to drive all over the state.

We are looking for any suggestions on which breweries you think we should contact or who you would like to see at the festival.
  2. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (505) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Equinox in Ft. Collins makes some great beer that isn't packaged.
    Prospero and Bitterbill like this.
  3. SalukiAlum

With mobile canning and the likes, hard to find a brewery that doesn't package and distribute these days.
  4. GilGarp

GilGarp Advocate (510) Colorado Mar 14, 2007

Bull and Bush comes to mind first but another one to check out is Yak and Yeti. It's an Indian restaurant that makes a fantastic IPA and a delicious chai porter. Their food is awesome too.
  5. SalukiAlum

Of course Black Bottle, Cooper Kettle, Wit's End and Lone Tree as well.
  6. SalukiAlum

I meant Black Shirt but Black Bottle is another from up here in Ft. Fun.
  7. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (185) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

Cannonball Creek in Golden. Great beers from a brand new brewery .
  8. Yeah I'm not quite sure how we are going to define the whole no distribution thing, as we are in the infancy of getting this together. I think how we are going to define it is if a brewery self distributes on a small level (like River North for example) that would be fine. We are just figuring out if it should also include breweries like Grimm Bros. since we carry their products, and we aren't sure if it should include breweries that we carry their products.
  9. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (700) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Why not just invite any/all breweries and just stipulate they provide a beer that is draft only? That would make for a pretty interesting fest.
    coreymcafee and rckymtnrep like this.
  10. Lone Tree bottles their Outta Range Pale and their Red so they're probably out. ArrogantB that would be an interesting fest, but the whole idea of ours is to get some of the smaller breweries name out there and put them on the big stage, without being over-shadowed by "big brother".
  11. scray24

scray24 Savant (275) Colorado Mar 12, 2008

This.

Understand the idea and like it but even if you make it with this stipulation it would make it localized and unique.

Pikes Peak would be one I'd put out there - but they did bottle a BA stout about a year ago and have plans to start distro now that their 30bbl fermenters are installed.
    quirkzoo likes this.
  12. Bootstrap in Niwot has some tasty beers.
  13. alexipa

alexipa Savant (410) Colorado Oct 7, 2011

Bootstrap, Wild Woods, and Gravity instantly come to mind.
  14. Echo, Three Barrel
  15. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

It's cool that you guys want to have an event that showcases the smallest and/or newest breweries, but the packaging thing is pretty arbitrary. For instance, Mountain Sun pubs have never packaged, but they wouldn't really fit into this mix, and then as you've pointed out, River North is the exact opposite.

If you want to have a festival that includes the Renegades, Trves, and Equinoxes of the world, and leaves out the New Belgiums and Oskar Blueseses, it would pretty easy to draw a line by production level.
    SFACRKnight and biking4beer like this.
  16. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Yeah, seems like an odd concept to me. It doesn't really have anything to do with size so much as their business plan. Probably half of the new upstarts don't package their beers for normal retail consumption, but there aren't many who aren't sending their kegs to places like the Rackhouse, Denver Bicycle Cafe, Freshcraft, etc.
    Even Scott from Wit's End and Danny from Caution do that.
  17. As I said before we are just starting to get this thing rolling, waiting for permits and the such, so there is still some time to really hammer out all the details. I really like this idea of drawing the line by production level, this is something that I'll bounce off the Brewers Guild and see what sticks.
  18. As you point out, if we excluded breweries that distribute kegs, we would have little to pick from. The idea was hatched sitting at Denver Beer Co. and thinking how cool it would be to get a lot of the breweries like them together at one place and one time.
  19. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I think the production level is where you would have to draw the line. But by letting in the big boys it would be on hell of a festival. I'd love to be able to get some tweak without driving all day for it.
    Edit: I would like to see strange and trinity added to the list as well as trve.
  20. FYI, Tweak was at the Vine Street Pub last night for Stout month. Very small pour for $6 but it was damn tasty.
  21. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I really need to get out of the house more.
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  22. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,005) Colorado May 19, 2005

Maybe have those breweries with no distribution contract? Some self-distribute, but their range is limited.
  23. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

I second Pikes Peak.

Also throw in other Springs favorites Phantom Canyon and Rocky Mountain Brewery.
  24. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Advocate (635) Colorado Aug 14, 2005

Equinox has bottled their barleywine. For at least 2 years, not sure about 3. Also Strange is about to package theirs. High Hops also has bottled just recently.

I will throw City Star in Berthoud. Also Very Nice in Nederlands. Echo has been mentioned but they have a solid line up.
  25. SalukiAlum

Not sure if bottling one beer and delivering by bike to a few liquor stores should count, but I guess if we get technical it does. Tough to find a brewery that doesn't can or bottle these days, even it's a beer or two. Only exception is newer breweries maybe. And it's the 3rd year for their barleywine, with more bottles each year.
  26. These technicalities will definitely not matter, the main point is to get the breweries that are not widely distributed (aka not something you can easily find) and to get their names out there. The main decision we have to make with everyone is how to define "easily find", not something that is as simple as imagined when throwing something like this together.
  27. Jasonrm72

Jasonrm72 Savant (390) Colorado Apr 29, 2012

i didnt read all the posts, so sorry if this is a repeat idea.
    But let breweries who distibute in CO only in on it. That way it's still all CO love.
    Even small beweries like Lone Tree and Dad and Dudes have bottled/canned their stuff recently, but you can't mistake them for being biggies.
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  28. Tolann

Tolann Savant (350) Colorado Jul 9, 2007

it would be easier to draw the line by how long a brewery has been open rather than defining by distrobution.
  29. A quick update. Thank you guys for all your suggestions/concerns about what we are trying to throw together. I'm going to be at CDC's Brewfest on Monday with everyone who came up with this idea (our owner Kirk, Gordon from Copper Kettle, and Gary V) and I will bring up all of your ideas and see what they think of them. So I'll see where that goes and keep all of you updated.

Thanks again,
    Billy