1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Colorado Springs assistance

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by DaveLikesAle, Jan 11, 2013.

1. DaveLikesAle

DaveLikesAle Savant (255) Ohio Jan 24, 2006

I'll be in the springs 2nd weekend in Feb and looking for suggestions. I've reviewed the "places" listing and some previous threads, but there is always updated info that is missing from reviews. Best places to go? PTY should be out around then. Who might have it? Any ideas would be appreciated.
  2. PTY... Pliny the Younger? Are they going to start bottling that beer?
  3. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (620) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

I don't think PtY hits the taps until after valentine's day, just FYI. So chances are you'll miss it by a week. To be honest with RR pulling out of WA to focus more on local market, I'm not holding my breath that it even makes it here.
  4. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

Younger was on tap at Trinity last year but it was a number of weeks (3 maybe???) after the release at the pub, so you might be a little early. I don't see it on their calendar so I wouldn't be hopeful:

http://www.trinitybrew.com

You should definitely stop there.

Phantom Canyon, downtown has really good English style beers and they always have two on cask.

Rocky Mountain Brewery, their fruit beer is top notch (not to be confused with Colorado Mountain Brewery which is meh)

Pikes Peak Brewery is up in Monument and everything they do is solid.

Coaltrain probably has the best selection for a bottleshop but

Weber St. Liquors also has a good selection and sometimes has some of the more limited stuff that Coaltrain sells out of (or holds in the back).

Those are my usual spots.
  5. DaveLikesAle

Only in my dreams.
  6. Yeah I guess I never knew that it came out to Colorado in draft form.
  7. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Oh, Dave.

Check out Trinity, and if you're out that way, check out Bristol, also. They're an institution making decent classic styles, and they have shuffleboard in the tap room. I also really want to check out Brewer's Republic, but I haven't been there when it's been open. They look like they have cool events. For stores, you should check out Cheers. I remember they had a few things other places didn't when I was there last. CO Springs is coming around.
    Schmittymack likes this.
  8. ucsbmullet

ucsbmullet Savant (430) Colorado Oct 5, 2011

2.75 pints during happy hour at Phantom. They currently have their barrel aged barleywine on tap, but not sure it will be around in Feb. You'll never find a cheaper opportunity to try a barrel aged. Free pool during HH too.

Brewers Republic is a 7-8 minute walk from there and always has a decent tap selection of Colorado beers.

Trinity is the most hyped brewery in town for their experimental brews. Saisons, Wild Ales and such.

Bristol is decent and Blue Star next door has half-off the fancy beer on Thursdays (They often have Avery sours and rare BA's at retail with the discount). Their bottle list is as good as it gets in the springs. I heard they had a Gueuze on tap this past fall.

Rocky Mtn is the blue collar joint, and always has solid, under appreciated brews on tap.

Pikes Peak is top-notch and Great Storm is another under the radar joint. PP is right off I25 in Monument and GS is closest to Trinity.
  9. Garden of the Gods....not a place to get beer, but a great place to drink one:)
    tacosandbeer likes this.
  10. Yes, it's sad. I just don't make it to tap rooms as often as I should. I need to start following these places on Facebook or Twitter so I know when things like PtY are coming.
  11. DaveLikesAle

Let me know if there is interest in getting together for a pint or 2 and/or a bottle exchange. Ohio is not Colorado, but we have some kick ass breweries now. B.O.R.I.S. (regular and maybe B.A.) for the RIS lovers, and for the hop heads White Rajah, Fat Head's Head Hunter, and Columbus IPA's. All of the Great Lakes stuff as well of course. Do you get Bell's? Hopslam will be out by then. I'm always looking for Abyss when I can get it.
  12. gklover1

gklover1 Savant (255) Colorado Oct 18, 2009

There is this REALLY killer place...

It's called DENVER. :p
  13. DaveLikesAle

Yeah, and an even more killer place called BOULDER. Not where I'll be though.
  14. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I have to nominate trinity. Their sliders are pretty great, their growlers aren't too pricey, and their saison man is a great session beer. The food takes a little bit, so you may need to stay sessionable while you're there though.