1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Colorado Treasures

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by soughtbygod, Jan 29, 2013.

1. soughtbygod

soughtbygod Savant (305) California Apr 27, 2011

I have a buddy headed to Colorado and I was wondering what are the must haves I should request he hauls me back

2. maximumu13

maximumu13 Aficionado (185) Ohio Aug 31, 2010

If he can find it, Dry Dock Blighs is a delicious barleywine.

flipdog0 likes this.
  3. Since you're in CA, definitely Odell, Left Hand and Ska.

alexipa likes this.
  4. adkieffer

adkieffer Savant (330) Washington Nov 23, 2010

Any and all Crooked Stave! Also, any Avery Barrell Series beers he can find. Make sure he actually asks for them at any store he goes to as they are usually in back or tucked away.

+1 on Blighs too

flipdog0 likes this.
  5. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Bligh's might be tricky to find (although it IS around), but the other Dry Dock cans are everywhere now. Between the Amber, Hefe, and Apricot you have a half-dozen WBC and GABF medals.

6. denver10

denver10 Champion (900) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Elevation's Oil Man Bourbon Barrel Stout is due to hit the shelves soon and is awesome.

x2 on anything Odell's. Their current seasonal Red is fantastic and their IPA, IMO, the best/my favorite in the state.

Dry Dock's IIPA
    Funkwerks Saison
    anything Crooked Stave, as suggested
    If you can find a barrel aged Avery, as suggested

Prospero likes this.
  7. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,030) Colorado May 19, 2005

Well, not everywhere. Only "key" accounts got it, now the distributor is out. We have to wait 2+ weeks to get some (post Super Bowl...not a good move), even though we were one of the first to carry DD. Me = not happy :mad:

8. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

I stand corrected. That kinda sucks. Hopefully they'll square this away and maybe finally get their ducks in a row enough to distribute outside of the front range, too.

9. Mebuzzard

Just saw the new long list of stores carrying DD cans. I just got doubly angry. That's 2 :mad::mad: for those keeping score. Effectively, we have dropped Dry Dock. That hurts me

ablackshear likes this.
  10. Argonaut had some last night but was not on that long list. They were already sold out of Hop Abomination. I don't think anywhere else near downtown got any, Highlands is the closest one. Joy and Mr B's said next week at the earliest.

11. robwater

robwater Aficionado (240) Colorado Jan 14, 2012

Bligh's...should be top priority. Great Divide BA Old Ruffian is solid as well. All Avery Demon series or BA. I'm still waiting on Oil Man. Had it at the Rare Beer Fest and it was retarded good. I hear its on its way.

12. According to my local store Oil Man hits this week. Hope so as I'm anxious to hear this hyped stout.

13. Kuester

Kuester Aficionado (165) Colorado May 14, 2012

Bought two Oil Man's at Lucas around 3 today, should be everywhere soon

14. denver10

How much are bottles running?

15. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (325) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

$17

denver10 likes this.
  16. denver10

I can manage that, thought it was great when I tried it at the Mayor the other week. Had to order seconds.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  17. Picked up an Oil Man in Boulder yesterday, think it was $15.99 which seems fair.

denver10 likes this.
  18. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (315) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

You should try drinking it, too.

19. Lol...that is an autocorrect fail. Nice catch. Yes I hope to drink it as well. :)

20. Anyone tried Oil Man from the bottles yet? One friend thinks his was infected...Green apple flavor. Uh oh.

21. Xandy from Elevation poured some from a bottle when I saw him at Hops and Pie a couple weeks back. No off flavors to me.

denver10 and ssteigerwald like this.
  22. hopfacebrew

hopfacebrew Savant (465) Colorado Jul 26, 2011

Great. Just bought my first. I will report back later

23. ArrogantB

ArrogantB Advocate (725) Colorado Jun 9, 2006

Very interested in this one too as I've been loving barreled stouts lately but I'm always gunshy with unestablished beers.

24. rob2654

rob2654 Aficionado (205) Colorado May 20, 2004

Shared a bottle of Oil Man this weekend and thought it was fabulous. Bought another yesterday to hold on to, but it is very drinkable immediately.

chugalug06, denver10 and ssteigerwald like this.
  25. Drank one yesterday, no infection, IMO.

In fact, I went out and quickly bought three more :eek:

ssteigerwald and denver10 like this.
  26. guyforget

guyforget Aficionado (205) Colorado Nov 12, 2009

not saying its bad by any means, but i found oil man to be underwhelming. no sign of infection in the one i drank.

gklover1 likes this.

27. You can find all but the Crooked Stave over here. INCLUDING the Mephistopheles stout by Avery!

28. Prospero

Prospero Advocate (675) Colorado Jul 27, 2010

Just an FYI, green apple can come from Acetaldehyde (by-product of yeast that needs more time to bottle condition.) As well as infection... but since this was just bottled <1 month ago, my guess is give it a bit more time and it will go away. Same thing that happened to Dark Lord last year too IIRC. I think I'll sit on my Oil Man for another month to see.

ssteigerwald likes this.
  29. stuart3368

stuart3368 Savant (255) Colorado Jan 3, 2011

Just picked up 2 bottles of Oil Man, can't wait to try.

30. Kuester

Kuester Aficionado (165) Colorado May 14, 2012

31. Mebuzzard

I still don't understand Twitter, but me likes good beer!

32. denver10

I thought Sierra Nevada's Brandy Barrel Age Ovila Quad was fantastic....excited to try False Summit, especially since I prefer whiskey to brandy.

33. denver10

I am getting that green apple, slightly sourish kinda flavor from my bottle right now. I should have heeded your warning.

34. Bumping this. Anyone had an Oil Man recently?

35. Mine was a butterscotch bomb. Apologies in advance for not keeping the bottle for numbering specs. (And to myself because I would like to tell Elevation my experience with that bottle.)

36. I bought it at Total Bev Westy.

37. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Drop Xandy a line at elevation. They are solid people who make things right.

38. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

Had one a couple of weeks ago, absolutely no sign of infection. Unfortunately I didn't note the bottle number.

39. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (325) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

The one had a month or so ago showed no signs of infection. It also didn't taste barrel aged either.

gklover1 likes this.
  40. Hey Poon,

Sorry you had an issue with Oil Man, we have had a few reports of infected bottles (but not many). This was the last batch we hand bottled as we are now running on a Maheen bottling line. Drop me a line and we will send you something new to replace your bad experience. It was barrel aged for over 7 months, but we designed it to show more base beer then some barrel aged whiskey bombs out there. Still a beer after all! Let us know and thanks for being a BA. We are always trying to get better and thanks for your Opinion.

Cheers.

The Elevation Team