1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Columbus Beerfest feedback

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by brewtus, Jan 13, 2013.

1. brewtus

brewtus Savant (355) Ohio Dec 29, 2012

Sucessful beerfest in the books, as expected the offerings were much better than the summer fest, just wanted to see if anyone had anything that stood out?

My personal favorite was the cask vanilla SOhio stout from CBC... It was amazing
  2. HolyGrail

HolyGrail Disciple (50) Ohio Aug 13, 2012

1. Weasel Boy's Anesthesia 2. FatHeads Head Hunter 3. Zaubers Buxom Blonde
    Great Night!
  3. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

Is that like Anastasia with sedatives!? Awesome!
    RyanMcFly1985 likes this.
  4. Geno78

Geno78 Aficionado (215) Ohio Apr 1, 2010

I didn't make it to the summer fest last year, but it was much better organized than last winter's. I think pushing it back to 2 days helped, as did the quickee stands to keep people that really didn't care about what they were drinking out of the lines. Last year, it was so crowded and the lines were so long, sometimes it would take you ten minutes to even figure out if you were in a line in the first place.

I was in line a few times, but for a beer I really wanted to try, not because I had to wait in a line to drink.

My favorites were BA-Anastasia, and CBC Cousin Eddie
  5. Keffa

Keffa Savant (475) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

Lol. Glad to see the love for Anastasia :)

What did you guys think of the War Dance, or did you try it?
  6. Geno78

Geno78 Aficionado (215) Ohio Apr 1, 2010

I meant to, but didn't make back to the booth in time.
  7. Bogforce

Bogforce Savant (360) Ohio Sep 2, 2010

Great fest as always. I will be going on Friday every year. No lines and relaxed crowd.
  8. jminch

jminch Savant (330) Ohio Jul 17, 2011

we talked about trying friday next year. i doubt i will even go at all though. while i do enjoy trying stuff i don't normally buy, the lines and crowd is a bit too much for me. i'll probably change my mind though by next winter!

that being said, my favorites were jolly pumpkin maracaibo, columbus nightstick, and columbus/fatheads brewno
  9. Bogforce

Go Friday. I was shocked how laid back it was compared to Saturdays.
    jminch likes this.
  10. headbucket

headbucket Savant (265) Ohio Oct 30, 2007

I enjoyed it. Was surprised when we showed up at 6pm on Saturday and some people were already drinking though. Would have showed up earlier had I known that. Top two for me were the Brandy Barrel Ovila Quad, and the Barrel Aged Anastasia.
  11. BuckTuckian

BuckTuckian Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 19, 2012

Any tips for a first time beer fest attendee?
    Me and a few Beer Fest newbees are going to Cincinnati"s Beer Fest on Feb 15th.
  12. Bogforce

1. Eat a decent size meal before you go.
    2. Drink water throughout the event.
    3. Make a pretzel necklace.
    4. Keep track of what you had on paper as you will forget what you liked and didn't like after about 7 samples.
    BuckTuckian likes this.
  13. brewtus

brewtus Savant (355) Ohio Dec 29, 2012

It all starts with the best intentions, hit the rare pours first then do legitimate tasting and notes the rest of the time. The second part tends to turn to shenanigans, just try to prolong the point of intoxication and have fun
    BuckTuckian likes this.