1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comin' from the States to Aus...

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by mammal33, Sep 3, 2012.

1. mammal33

mammal33 Aficionado (110) Georgia Apr 23, 2012

My wife and I are heading to Aus in a couple of weeks, and I'm thinking of bringing a few beers over, maybe for trade, prob just to share w/ friends or someone whose keen...What should I bring that would be a treat you can't get there? I'm getting a few Pliney the Elders in a beer trade tomorrow, might bring one of them, and a few other Hoppy DIPA's, maybe a few stouts...also, we'll be near Melbourne most of the time w/ her family, what are some breweries, bottle o's and whatnot that are worth a visit? Thanks in advance...can't wait for a meat pie n' a cold beer...
  2. Depends where you'll be and what you're looking for. Best resource would probably be: http://craftypint.com/

I'd recommend:
    Breweries near town (that you can actually visit): Mountain Goat (Richmond, Wed & Fri evenings), Temple (Brunswick), Matilda Bay (Port Melbourne)
    Breweries out of town worth visiting: Bright (Bright), Bridge Road (Beechworth - they do a great meat pie), Mornington Peninsula (Mornington)
    Bottle-o's: Slowbeer (Richmond), Purvis Beer (Richmond), Prince Wine Store (Essendon)
    Whatnot: Beer Deluxe (CBD), The Alehouse (Brunswick), Josie Bones (Collingwood), Cookie (CBD), Young & Jackson (CBD), The Local Taphouse (St Kilda), Mrs Parmas (CBD)
  3. Russian River sours would be highly desirable!
  4. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (575) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Definitely, but would need to trade for them being in Florida as they only distribute to Pennsylvania, Colorado, Washington, Oregon and California.
  5. mammal33

mammal33 Aficionado (110) Georgia Apr 23, 2012

I've got one RR Supplication, but gonna enjoy w/ a brew here. Maybe will bring a couple other sours from other breweries.....