1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Coming to Phoenix and Tucson for a week in early April - is there hope?

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by Beercub, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Looking for suggestions. Looks like some hope as I read through the "places" section for each city, but hoping to get some local perspective. Will be staying on W. Camelback in Phoenix, and eastern Tucson (at the border with the mountains) (Ventana Canyon Resort).

thanks for any tips/advice!

I pretty much like IPAs, Belgians, stouts, but not that into Sours/funk

2. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

On Camelback there you can find Sun Up as your most convenient place. They usually have something hoppy on cask, plus at least their IPA or one other hoppy beer. Stout isn't bad either. There's a Total Wine off Camelback too, I think around 16th st. maybe. South from there is Main Ingredient Alehouse on 7th St.. On Camelback east of I-51 you can find Delux Burger, also AJ's at 44th st., and a bit further east but on Indian School is O.S.H.O.. That O.S.H.O. place prides itself on having a lot of AZ taps, so that may be a plus or minus depending on what you want.

If you hit Chandler/Tempe I highly recommend Whole Foods on Ray (30+ taps), and Boulders on Broadway. The latter tends to have numerous IPA's on tap most of the time. Actually both.

luwak likes this.
  3. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Well i guess it has just dawned on me that since we've lost the archive with the site upgrade we'll need to redo one of those detailed thread about AZ beer bars, bottle shops, and breweries and restaurants. (we had a couple really good ones...sigh)

But until then....

this a good place to start for the beer bars in PHX though it misses a few good ones:

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2012/02/ten_favorite_metro_phoenix_cra.php

And as for Tucson, though from what you posted you won't be very close, you absolutely should not miss 1702.
    It is the best beer bar in Arizona:

http://www.1702az.com/

4. RandyV

RandyV Aficionado (245) Arizona Aug 8, 2010

For a local brewery, I like Barrio Brewing. It's a cool place, and if they have it, their bourbon cask ale is stellar. Also, Nimbus Bistro is close to where you'll be, and their Monkeyshine ale is pretty tasty. Cheers!

5. Ditto to 1702. Truly an oasis in the desert. Many, many taps that rotate frequently, and not a bad bottle selection either. Not to mention world-class ice cream.

6. Thanks everyone! Really looking forward to my time there in the desert. maybe i'll bump into some of you at one of these beer destinations

7. USCMcG

USCMcG Aficionado (110) Arizona Nov 20, 2009

+1 on OHSO. That place will have everything Arizona you could ever want, all in one spot.