1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Commons Anniversary Bottle Share & Bourbon Little Brother Release

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by jgrgas, Dec 4, 2012.

1. jgrgas

jgrgas Aficionado (205) Oregon Feb 10, 2006

We cannot believe it, but today marks our first year open for business and to celebrate we're hosting two events later this week. Thanks so much for making the long hours worth it. I hope I see you all sometime this week.

Potluck & Bottle Share & Bourbon Little Brother Bottle Release
    December 6th – 5-9 PM

~Bourbon Little Brother release— our Heaven Hill Bourbon aged Belgian Dark Strong. 750ml bottles available for $11 each and $125/case

~Bottle Share & Potluck—just show up with a bottle of a favorite beer or something special from your cellar and/or food to share with friends.

Because of glassware and lack of dishwasher it is definitely appreciated if you bring your own tasting glass.

I've added a tab to the ye olde spreadsheet. Please use it as you see fit:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ag6e7YwcFaDedG1pZUJzSUpMTk80bm5lS1VzZmJMbWc

Anniversary Gathering
    December 7th – 5-9 PM

~special taps—the last kegs of Plum Bretta and Bene Tibi, Boysen, 2011 Sticke & more.

~appetizers provided by neighborhood friends Lardo, Pacific Pie, 2nd story and Cheese Bar.

~special toast—7pm with something BIG & special from our cellar.

2. Sounds great Josh! Sad I can't make it down Thursday, but definitely trying for Friday.

3. jgrgas

I'll steal some HF for you.

beefandbean22 likes this.
  4. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (520) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Looks like I'm in trouble?

jgrgas likes this.
  5. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Looking forward to Thursday Josh. I saw a mention of Fleur de Ferme on Facebook. Any pricing info on that? I only ask since I'll be bringing cash. I'll be sure to pick up some BA Little Brother too.

6. jgrgas

Good eye. We unexpectantly got the labels so we're able to add FdF to the sale at the last minute. We're going to set the prices at $8/each & $90/case.

7. jgrgas

We've received labels for Fleur de Ferme at the last minute so we're adding this to the sale as well. We've brewed this a few times on draft and it was supposed to be our fall seasonal, but the label approval process delayed it a bit. Here's the details:

Fleur de Ferme
    Dark Farmhouse Ale with Hibiscus, Lavender & Chamomile. 6% ABV
    $8/each & $90/case

8. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Are FdF and BA Little Brother going to be on tap too?:)

9. jgrgas

Sorry I left out so much information. We didn't keg any BA LB. I'll probably open a bottle or two that evening. FdF will be on tap.

10. digita7693

Hvala puno Josh, do četvrtak.

živjeli
    Don

jgrgas likes this.
  11. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Good beer at a fair price. What more can I ask for?!

digita7693 likes this.
  12. Shmeal

I want a pony.

13. digita7693

By pony he means a dirty horse.

hopsbreath and LoPo87 like this.
  14. Shmeal

Naw, I'm content with just a pony. It'd be cheaper.

15. jgrgas

OK, so I incorrectly priced Fleur de Ferme. I'm really sorry for not getting my information straight:

Fleur de Ferme
    $9 each & $100/case

16. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (335) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

I am looking forward to this

17. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (540) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

Going to be a blast!

18. w_klon

w_klon Aficionado (235) Oregon Aug 1, 2012

Hey guys, forgive me for my lack of knowledge here. I would love to come by and bring a couple bottles, but have a couple questions (i have never been to or had a bottle share) .

Do i just bring my bottles and turn them over to the peeps at the Commons or do i pop em myself and double fist a couple bombers asking anyone if they want some? haha

Also, Id like to share something that people may not have tried. Would a couple 375ml bottles of beatification b5 suffice? What about a BA old ruffian? I also have a 2 year bottle of Lost and Found from The Lost Abbey that ive been meaning to pop open, but maybe thats a cellar experiment i should save a group of people from.

And when you say tasting glasses, do you mean small tasting glasses? because all my glassware is either 10, 12, or 22oz

Thanks,
    Aaron

19. jgrgas

H
    Hey Aaron,

No need to ask forgiveness. Per OLCC regulation, a commons employee needs to open a bottle for you. They'll be a few of us here all with openers to hopefully make the process as smooth as possible.

I mentioned bringing a tasting glass because we don't have a lot of glassware and lack a dishwasher. This glass can be anything you're comfortable tasting beers with. There aren't really any rules. I tend to prefer a 10oz tulip or snifter type glass, but, you know, that's just me.

As for what beer should you bring; I suggest what you've been really excited to crack open but haven't found a good reason. Again, there's no right or wrong here.

The main group on this forum are really great people and will gladly show you the ropes tomorrow. It's a really laid back affair that is mostly about the community and spirit of beer. Please come up and introduce yourself.

20. I second what Josh says. We are all pretty laid back at these events. It would be great if you could bring something that others haven't tried but with this group that can be difficult! Just bring something you want to share. As far as glassware goes, the size of the glass isn't important. What is important is to not take 8 oz. out of 22 oz. bottle. I have been to a bunch of bottle share and have really only ever seen one guy do this. Obviously we told him that it was not OK!

21. Shmeal

Hey, to be fair, I poured 8 oz. out of that bomber, left the glass on the table, and ran away with the bottle.

exitmusic00 likes this.
  22. w_klon

Sounds awesome, ill be there

23. w_klon

Yeah, that makes sense. Ill take a couple of my favorites

24. Kelton

Kelton Aficionado (150) Oregon Sep 17, 2010

Hey Folks.

Dang, I can't make it now. Took my name of the spreadsheet. Enjoy dudes.

Josh & Commons Crew: Thanks for being great hosts & setting this up. I'll stop in Friday for the Anny.

25. Seth- You suck!

26. Kelton

Kelton Aficionado (150) Oregon Sep 17, 2010

Rob: I agree with your assessment of me...

jgrgas likes this.
  27. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Anyone else bringing any food of substance tonight? I'm not sure how many people my chili will feed...

28. digita7693

No time to cook today:( But you can subtract me from any food concerns as I do not eat meat.

29. Kopfschuss

The gf and I planned on eating before coming so we won't be eating at the tasting as well.

30. hannont

hannont Aficionado (140) Oregon Feb 9, 2008

Congratulations to all the good folks at the commons on a stellar first year. I won't be able to make it tonight. Y'all have fun!

31. Just wanted to say happy anniversary to The Commons and thanks for hosting such a great event! Thanks to all that shared their great beers and foods!

32. Shmeal

That was a lot of fun! I never got to fulfill my dream of chugging bottles inside of the walk-in, but was happy nonetheless!

33. w_klon

Yes, this was awesome. Thanks to all the folks at the Commons and all the generous people that brought out some fantastic beer! :D

Some of the highlights for me were:

Rose de Gambrinus
    08 Dissident
    09 Perfect Storm
    Zombie Dust
    06 Doggie Claws

34. Shmeal

I missed out on the Doggie Claws, Zombie, Dust, and a bunch of others. These were my favorites:

Armand '4 Winter
    Hill Farmstead Susan
    Alpine Nelson
    Peche N' Brett
    Fantasia
    2008 BCBS

35. Kopfschuss

Thanks to everyone that made last night stellar, and a big thank you to The folks at The Commons for hosting such a kick as bottle share.

Some highlights of the evening for me were:

Lolita
    Armand '4 Winter
    Darkness
    CCB Cucumber Saison
    Juliet
    Els (Thank you very much for sharing this boralyl!)

36. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (620) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

I enjoyed it for the hour or so I was able to attend. Congratulations to the Commons on their first year. BB Little Brother was pretty tasty, too.

37. jgrgas

Thank you all so much for coming and making it a spectacular evening for all of us. You're a really generous crew and I know you've converted a bunch of first timers to the art of bottle sharing.

It's really easy to be in this business when there is so many great people supporting it.

38. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Savant (275) Oregon Mar 15, 2010

A big thanks to The Commons for hosting last night's event, as well as to all the generous folks who brought things to share...cheers!