Comparable to Pliny?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by rholmes, Jan 28, 2013.

1. rholmes

rholmes Aficionado (105) Florida Sep 11, 2012

What beers do you find similar in taste to Pliny? Got to try this for the first time the other night, and I'm in an area where it's nearly impossible to get. Looking for beers that are more readily available on the East Coast.

2. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (560) Washington Dec 13, 2011

This is a tough one... I can tell you DIPAs from the East Coast that are better than PtE.... but DIPAs that are similar in taste to PtE??? not sure...

3. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

Are you looking for that specific flavor/hop profile, or just a similar quality DIPA? If the latter, there are tons of alternatives around the country. I'd start with the Top Beers list from your region: http://beeradvocate.com/lists/south-atlantic and look for an IPA you recognize.

This is the 21st century. There's no reason you shouldn't have a good IPA within driving distance.

Spaghett, tronester, dianimal and 3 others like this.
  4. rholmes

Thanks for the info. I had no idea these lists could be seperated by region.

5. rholmes

What in your opinion is a better DIPA from the East Coast?

6. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

you are not going to find another beer like pliny. but . . . you can explore the DIPA style locally and find many excellent variations on the style.

7. Sculpin is almost close to as good, but not that similar. If you can get you hands on some heady it's as good, if not better, but still not that similar. It will be hard to find something as clean, smooth, good, and tasty as Pliny the elder regardless of your region.

RBassSFHOPit2ME likes this.
  8. I haven't had it, but the common consensus is that heady topper is the best DIPA out there, and it's from Vermont. But its distribution is also pretty self contained, so you might have to trade.

Hopsiam14 likes this.
  9. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (560) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Double Sunshine and Heady Topper to start...

VncentLIFE, youbrewidrink and dawatts like this.
  10. dawatts

dawatts Savant (315) Massachusetts Dec 27, 2006

I've heard Lagunitas Sucks is similar but can't say for sure.

11. dawatts

dawatts Savant (315) Massachusetts Dec 27, 2006

I had Hills Farmstead Abner over the weekend and I'd say it it should be in that list as well.

beerluvngal and UnderJoath like this.
  12. I can't say that these are necessarily similar in taste to Pliny but two great must-try IPAs that are readilly available are Ithaca Flower Power and Stone Ruination.

kirbmeist and mackeyse like this.
  13. I get a huge Pliny vibe from Stone's Enjoy By. Bit more tropical than pliny but definitely comparable.

14. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

To me Maine Beer Lunch is spooky similar to Pliny.

15. Mr_Brodie

Mr_Brodie Aficionado (100) New York Dec 13, 2012

I agree with this. You are not going to find something that tastes so similar it is hard to notice. Enjo By is as easy to drink while being tasty but not dry and bitter. You don't have to be a hop head to enjoy this DIPA.
    Lagunitas Sucks, and Union Jack/Double Jack also are good west coast style IPAs that are easy to drink and easy to find in the NY area. I never tried Jai Alai or Lunch but hear they are great.
    Equal or better; Heady, Double Galaxy (any Hill Farmstead), and I am told Double Sunshine (never had). Unless you trade or drive to Vermont you're not drinking these. Lawsons availability is so random don't even count it in VT.
    Flower Power is the opposite end, not balanced, bitter, and so dry your toungue won't let you forget it.

16. toofdoc

toofdoc Savant (250) New Mexico Jun 28, 2011

Fat Heads Head Hunter

Bone53, VncentLIFE, falcon1 and 4 others like this.
  17. jasoncheb

jasoncheb Aficionado (205) Virginia Nov 23, 2012

You will have a difficult time finding something comparable to PtE. This past weekend, at a tasting over at my house, we ran through a list that included (in order of tasting): Heady Topper, Pte, Enjoy By 2-15-13, Maharaja, Lagunitas Sucks, Alewerks-Bitter Valentine, and Sculpin (American IPA). The Heady and Enjoy By are very fragrant with a great hop kick that you would usually expect from a very fresh DIPA. The PtE provides a very smooth almost sweet, yet still citrusy, taste unlike any of the others I have listed. I like the use of some of the Hill Farmstead DIPAs listed above in comparison to the Heady Topper.

18. mani

mani Savant (295) New Jersey Jun 16, 2012

+1

Tidesox28 likes this.
  19. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Sucks is the only one in NC that is even close, but it's still different.

20. I've heard from a few people that Lagunitas Hop Stoopid is somewhat comparable in flavor profile. What've you got to lose for $5/bomber?

21. n2185

n2185 Advocate (640) North Carolina Apr 14, 2008

While PtE is a good, but not great, DIPA, I really don't find anything about it that makes it particularly unique except for the hype. It's a nice, citrusy DIPA with some earthy and pine flavors. It's not like Gubna or Devil Dancer or Unearthly in having pretty distinctive flavors and aromas that set it apart from other IPAs (not that any of those beers is better--they're just more distinct).

BGrider85 likes this.
  22. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (365) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

I consider Lagunitas' Hop Stoopid to be a poor man's Pliny.

23. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (495) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

Fresh FW Double Jack

24. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

Victory Hop Devil has a hop profile that is strikingly similar to that of Pliny the Younger. It is a much smaller beer and is of course not all that similar to PtY otherwise, but the hops are similar.

For the Elder, just go to your local homebrew store and buy some whole cone hops and a nylon hops bag. Boil some water and add the hops, and you will have something similar in no time.

25. La Cumbre Elevated IPA is definitely up there with pliny but than again not so easy to get
    and yes I agree that Heady Topper is better but
    you also have to mention Alpine Duet and Nelson both which are hard to get unless you drive to the brewery

rgfellow likes this.
  26. Siggy125

Siggy125 Advocate (505) California Nov 10, 2006

more than I have time to type out here...

27. Hop Stoopid tastes like Pliny, but the aftertaste is like soap. Sucks is better than both of them. Pliny has insane carbonation though.

28. pecsokak

pecsokak Aspirant (45) Virginia Sep 27, 2012

i wasn't a huge fan of lagunitas sucks. enjoy by was very good, but if you haven't gotten it yet you will probably have some trouble.

i liked PTE, but it wasn't leaps and bounds above anything. IMO once you get to a certain goodness, whichever is better is nothing but personal preference. SN hoptinum is very good, NB super IPA was good (don't think its around anymore though).

hopslam is being released here tomorrow as well, so thats probably worth checking out

29. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Based on your distro from seekabrew,com I recommend Finest Kind, Hopslam, Sucks, Ghandi Bot, and Double Simcoe. These are all really good, but none have the hop profile of Pliny.

You have access to CCB, so trading for any of the other great ones should be easy for you.

hillind likes this.
  30. Im going to echo others and say either Stoopid or Sucks (fresh as always). Neither of them are Pliny, but I think that they are about equally as good, and they have similar characteristics (tropical, resiny, residual sweetness, West Coast). Washington recently lost our distribution from Russian River and I havent missed it much yet, with Sucks being around.

31. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (280) California Aug 2, 2012

In your area, just get Jai-Alai

patkorn, Schwantz and frankthetank86 like this.
  32. Try "Ninja versus Unicorn" from Pipeworks Brewing in Chicago.

caponeduke likes this.
  33. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

Extremely fresh Sculpin.

barleywinefiend likes this.
  34. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (435) Texas Nov 21, 2008

Lagunitas Sucks is similar in the intensity of the hops flavor. But the characteristics of the hops used are different. It is danker and not as grapfruity. But both push the hops right up to the edge.

There are beers that go over the edge to the rhelm of over-hopped and vegital. Avery Maharaja (which used to be my favorite beer) is now always a bit too vegital. Taste a little like willow bark and pumpkin. I haven't had really good Maharaja since 2009. OB Gubna is a sickening mess of an IIPA that tastes like spinach and onions - overly hopped and a poor combination of late additions.

35. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

I've never had PtE, but if it's crazy hoppy goodness you're after, go grab some Nugget Nectar.

36. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Hop Stupid is NOTHING like PTE in every sense of the word. Horrible comparison IMHO.

SaigonDaze, Pelican5 and WickedSluggy like this.
  37. emsjf

emsjf Initiate (0) Virginia Jan 3, 2012

Maine's Lunch IPA is east coast PtE, IMO, but it's probably harder to find. : /

38. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Advocate (715) Florida Feb 16, 2012

I'm not sure I could tell the difference between Pliny, Dreadnaught, and Double Jack if tasted blind together. I don't know FW's distribution and 3F tends to be on the tougher side to find.

39. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

While I don't agree that Hop Stoopid tastes much like PtE, it is a goddamn fantastic IPA, and if OP hasn't had it, he/she needs to get his/her hands on some ASAP.

The closest I've come to tasting another Pliny would either be Stone Enjoy By, Lagunitas Sucks, or Kuhnhenn DRIPA, in that order. Though they are all discernibly different, they aren't bad "replacements" for those who have no/limited access to PtE.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.