1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comparable to Pliny?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by rholmes, Jan 28, 2013.

1. jasoncheb

jasoncheb Aficionado (190) Virginia Nov 23, 2012

Definitely a fun time not only tasting the difference in the DIPAs, but also acquiring them.
  2. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

^^^
    **SWINGS**
    UnderJoath likes this.
  3. Columbus Brewing IPA not as much citrus?! when fresh CBC IPA is basically like biting into a sweet grapefruit!
    Head Hunter is a fruit bomb. White Rajah with a little citrus is close to Pliny.
    If you could combine Arctic Panzer Wolf and Dreadnaught, then take away some of the alcohol bite, youd be close to PtE.
  4. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

This x100.
  5. DrHopHead

DrHopHead Aficionado (130) Michigan May 18, 2010

I would agree with the Kuhnhenn DRIPA and for a single you can't beat Huma Lupa Licious.
  6. In OH there is White Rajah, Columbus IPA, and Head Hunter IPA. Also, Fresh 2XIPA.
  7. Your bitter valentine was probably old unless someone picked it up from the brewery in the last week
  8. jasoncheb

jasoncheb Aficionado (190) Virginia Nov 23, 2012

Yep, I picked it up from the brewery on Saturday. They only had about a case and a half left, I grabbed 4 of them since I had my wife with me. Chuck was only giving out 2 per customer.
    Savage1005 likes this.
  9. No surprise and without a doubt agree because of varying palates. Same issue in the whisk(e)y world of enthusiasts. I find it interesting and educational to read the differing opinions.

One thing is for certain, this is a thread that toots the horn for quality DIPA's. As I cull the posts, I'm looking for several references of something I have not tried that is getting good reviews. Looks like I need to go get some L. Sucks (which I passed up two days ago as I was unfamiliar with it)!
  10. In the nude too.
  11. HOP_KING

HOP_KING Aficionado (175) Illinois Jan 30, 2013

Pliny is my favorite along with ZD. It has the perfect amount of hops.
  12. coachdicarlo

coachdicarlo Initiate (0) Missouri Apr 20, 2012

Thanks for posting your opinion on something that has nothing to do with the question the OP asked.
  13. abkayak

abkayak Savant (330) New York Jan 8, 2013

i hope not.....im pretty down on all the FF i've tried....and ready to travel for Pliny
  14. Boneyard Hop Venom
  15. raynmoon

raynmoon Savant (490) California Aug 13, 2011

I'm tellin' you guys, It's Lagunitas Sucks. I had just finished a case of Sucks right before having a bottle of pliny and thought they tasted exactly the same, aroma, look and everything.
  16. Having my first one ever, and I have to agree completely. Found some fresh Sucks (20 days old) and it's incredible. Loaded with piney hops. Even looks the same.
  17. namyarb3

namyarb3 Aspirant (45) Washington Feb 26, 2013

Sucks is a fantastic replacement for PtE. Flavor profile, mouthfeel, aroma, etc. To me, and my unrefined face-hole, is creepy similar.
  18. yeah what everyone else is tellin ya. lagunitas sucks, and of course jai alai. you have cigar city man. enough said.
  19. grrrah

grrrah Savant (320) California Sep 21, 2009

Enjoy by and Hop Venom are the closest (Havent had Maine's Lunch).

Heady Topper is great, and very different, but if I had an endless supply of both, I would probably pick the pliny 60% of the time.
  20. Alpine's Pure Hoppiness or Alpine's Bad Boy.
  21. Moral of the story,nothing compares to pliny.often imitated,never duplicated.there are other excellent dipas,everyone has their preference on which is the best but pliny is the shit!
    GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  22. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Savant (495) California Mar 28, 2009

There is no substitute.

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, bottled 2/19!
  23. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Sucks, maybe even a little better, maybe, never done a side by side.
  24. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (210) California Aug 30, 2007

Green Flash Imperial, Stone Enjoy By, CCB Jai Alai. A mouth full of Nugget hops.
  25. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (405) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

Hands down!