1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Comment Comparing Beers within a Review

Discussion in 'Site' started by rdilauro, Feb 28, 2013.

1. rdilauro

rdilauro Savant (365) Connecticut Mar 8, 2010

When I taste a beer and review it here, many times I have been tempted to make comparisons of the one I had to other beers that I have tasted.

I manage a large international forum site, so I know that making comparisons, by actually naming brand names is frowned upon.

But when I rate a beer, so often I want to make a comparison to another beer I tasted. I've done this in some of my reviews, but I have not named the other beer.

I think it is important when reviewing any beverage to rate it in terms of other beverages that are in the same category.

IS IT a problem when reviewing a beer, to compare it to another beer?

2. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (660) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Absolutely not. Being able to compare a beer to others of similar style is part of reviewing.

3. Personally, I get a bit annoyed when I see reviewers mention other beers.

IMO, the scores and final rating are what you use to compare to the other beer. Naming other beers makes me think you didn't come into the review objectively, or that you have an agenda. Now if you say, "it tastes just like x", then that's fine. Whatever, it's a descriptor. But if you use comparative adjectives at all, I wonder why you chose that particular beer, and if there's no reason clearly evident, then I tend to dismiss the review.

Not to mention that it takes a bit of the "timeless void" aspect of the review away. If I'm reading the review in 5 years and they stopped making that other beer, then what you've written probably makes no sense to me. In most cases I think it's probably better if you reference the general style guidelines than a particular beer.

kojevergas likes this.