1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Concerns about Stouts from a very young beer geek

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DieHippieDie, Mar 3, 2013.

1. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

FIS is the best stout for the $$ no doubt about that, but DL is not $50 a bottle. It's $15 at the release and I bet there are several BA's that would be happy to trade it for $20-$25 worth of good locals or somewhat limited beers.

Personally, if there is 1 "big name" stout that I think you should seek out it's Darkness. Dark Lord is fun because it's really sweet and the coffee is really nice, but it's not a "world class" stout IMO. It's worth a try though. I like to drink it about once a year. I think half of the people who say they drainpoured Dark Lord either a) didn't really drainpour it, or b) just wanted to drainpour it to prove that their palate is just so much more enlightened than anyone that would enjoy silly Dark Lord (said with thick sarcasm).

Now, if you want to jump into the Barrel aged stouts there are several that are worth the "hype" IMO- BCBS variants, BB Pt5, Parabola just to name a few...

2. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

Interesting. I just did a blind non-ba stout tasting w 8 of the "classic" stouts and we all ranked raspy last. Crazy how much people's palates differ. Another reason when seeking out these "big name" stouts you should do so because you think it will be fun to try or experience it with friends, not because it will blow you away.

fullmetal1381 likes this.
  3. Your lucky. Your wallet thanks you... Thing will change if you ever get bit by whale fever... because the only cure for whale fever is hunting and landing Whalez Bro!

4. 7ate9

7ate9 Savant (265) Virginia Apr 26, 2007

jgluck and luwak like this.
  5. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

I can see a person cracking a bottle by themselves and pouring a decent portion of it down the drain once they realize they have no interest in finishing the entire bottle by themselves. Alternatively, I could also see someone dumping a few ounces down the drain if they split a bottle with 5-6 people and didn't like the beer. Not saying I would do either, but it's 100% feasible that people actually drain poured the beer for legitimate reasons.

6. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

Like everyone else said, FIS, Expedition, and Ten Fidy are not only some of the best stouts out there, but among the best beers overall that you can get, especially when factoring in price, availability, etc. That being said, I'd be lying through my teeth if I didn't tell you that I get an absolute rush from hunting down and acquiring rare beers. Even if I don't end up liking them, I'm usually sharing it with someone who does, and for me, being able to share that highly sought after brew with someone who may not ever have another chance at it again makes it worth it to me in the end.

luwak and KFBR392 like this.
  7. If you're a stout lover you're worrying about the wrong thing. Ever hear the expression "You are what you eat"? Well, you are what you drink, too, and after the last few months of delicious, high ABV stouts I can tell I'm getting a bit, uh, stout. Keep hitting the gym;)

8. Speedway stout from Alesmith can be found for $14 a bomber in my area and is one of my favorite upper tier stouts, especially for the price.

FishPondManager likes this.
  9. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

Easy there buddy. Just relax and have a beer (or another one). I'm like you, turning 24 one month from now (to the day... just realized that). I've been fortunate to have a lot of great stouts (BCBS and variants, CBS, DL, Zhukov, etc.) but really, the sky isn't falling if you're enjoying world class beers like Founder's RIS. I don't jones for whales, I jones for great beers that don't make me weep when I check out at the register. Stay patient, and don't sweat the Holy Grale. It's a pain in the ass to look for it. Do you know how much damn effort it took Arthur's Knights to find that fucking thing? Seriously, it was ridiculous.

Keep calm and carry on. Drinking beer.

10. ridglens

ridglens Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 10, 2010

Can we all start referring to Dark Lord as "post 2008 Dark Lord" when talking about how terrible it is? I've drunk a shit ton of DL over the years, probably like 60-80, maybe 100 Bottles*, and while i can't much argue with the hate on the last few vintages (though 2009 has been drinking ok for a while), 2006, '07, and '08 are phenomenal, especially the '08, you had to scrape the malty sediment out of your glass! "Dark Lord" is not now what it used to be, so if you "finally" get to try it and you crack a 2012 to your possible disappointment, don't just blame the hype, this beer used to be freaking world class. All that said, i think it's still an ok beer after some age and if you approach it as a strong/old ale type and not a stout.

when they put it into a barrel, however, all of this flies out the window... that beer is the truth. i honestly think they use a different recipe for the base beer, it's that good.

*between many friends/tastings!

jgluck, ncaudle and luwak like this.
  11. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Nope. Sounds like you are drinking good ones. Unless you are prepared to have a peg leg and a suicidal obsession then stick to what you're drinking.

12. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

Completely agree about FIS being one of the best stouts out there, but the label is awesome as well.

FishPondManager likes this.
  13. Making me feel better guys lol. I can roll down to any store here in Raleigh and pick up some Old Raspy, FIS, FBS, Yeti, Expedition, Stone RIS, etc. Sounds like I've got all I need!!!

Prost!

14. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

You have more than you need. The question is whether you like barrel aged stouts, if so, now we need to talk about what's available or worth trading for.

15. "Best Beer" is in the palate of the beholder. Minus the hype, it simply comes down to what we like as individuals. Yes, it's nice to try a popular, hyped, hard to procure brew, as it advances our education and palate prowess. In the end, each individual palate is different and ultimately we'll each decide what we like/enjoy best, regardless of what others think or the hype might dictate. Taste and enjoyment is a very personal thing.

It simply comes down to this...explore, develop an educated palate and drink what you like!

16. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

short answer no. Try plenty of available stouts out there, you'll even find your own personal gem.

17. Mo Hype, Mo flava.

ufmj likes this.
  18. taxman

taxman Savant (255) Illinois Feb 22, 2012

There are a lot of great stouts readily available either seasonally or year round. Then there are the 'specialty' stouts that are limited, rare and hard to get. Rest assured that some you will like better than others, but none will give you an orgasm.

19. To the OP, I had the same thoughts as you and although I enjoyed everything I tried as far as stouts, I felt like Kate the Great was something I HAD to have. So I bought tickets on ebay for 45 a piece, which allowed me to purchase two 330ml bottles. I drink a lot of Great Divide Yeti, all versions, and loved it. But the hype for Kate drove me crazy and led to the tickets. When I finally tried the beer, it was fantastic, but not that much better than Yeti, which scores 100 anyway. So, save your money, enjoy your beer, and if you come across some of the rares, give them a shot and consider them a bonus.

20. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

whale hunting is a sport- that's why it's exciting ;)

Many whale stouts are super-full bodied... then again, so is speedway stout! You pocketbook will thank you for not pursuing whales on a regular basis. And the founders you are drinking are really phenomenal. So, no, you're not missing out on much....

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  21. Of course I love barrel aged stomuts. I don't know what is a "legit" barrel aged stout and what isn't. For instance, I seeBAged dragons milk everywhere. is that just as impressive as BAged old raspy? I tend to think no. what say ye?

22. FBS is my highest-rated beer...but if it tastes like sex, you're doing it wrong (sex, that is)

23. Maybe you're just aren't having the sex I'm having ;)

24. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

I haven't had BA Rasputin, but for its price and availability, you can't beat Dragon's Milk. Sure I've had much better BA stouts, but Dragon's Milk is a regular staple of mine. A place by me has a 3 liter of it for sale for $100 that I'm seriously considering biting the bullet on.

25. Listen, yes the taste isn't that much different. The REAL difference is how many people can produce that same taste and how easy it is to find. Things like Dark Lord, Kate the Great and Hunahpu have distinctive taste that are hard to reproduce and they have limited quantities. So, yes, you could find a good mass produced beer of a similar style and be happy with it but ultimately these special beers offer a unique taste that is hard to find.

On the same note, Dark Lord Day is a beer nerds dream. A fantastic day of beer sharing and beer appreciation that exceeds the base costs.

26. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (645) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

Who are you having sex with that reminds you of Abyss and does she have a sister?

27. DmanGTR

DmanGTR Advocate (520) Florida Feb 19, 2008

You must ask yourself: "Can I taste rarity?"

28. ElCommodoro

ElCommodoro Aficionado (220) Texas Mar 24, 2011

Do you get Avery or Real Ale out your way?

29. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

Never had dark lord and am not actively seeking it out based on what i hear. The stouts you listed are top notch, yeti is top notch as well and easy to get (all the variants except maybe belgian I love). However some of the rarer ones are really worth trying but not worth it if its a complete hassle to get. I am not into trading (yet?) but stuff like BCBS (cherry rye / coffee and regular) that I can get if i know when its around it is worth the hassle seeking out.

30. Terrapin8

Terrapin8 Aficionado (185) Georgia Oct 27, 2008

I've been there, drink what you like screw the hype, trade for what you can't get if all else fails, drink way you like again

31. Welllll being a stout lover I would have to say that I have enjoyed many highly rated stouts and loved them but if a new stout shows up on the shelf. Welllllll I'm drinkin it and am happy to report that there are many many many wonderful stouts. So to answer your question..... maybe. I wanna try them just because I keep believing there is another stout out there that will make my toes curl even more than the last. Just a minute I need to take a quick sip......... mmmmmm that was damn good now where was I. Oh stouts yep I love um all!!!!!! ( well almost all :D) keep up the good work and just my opinion drink them all!!!

32. gshak

gshak Savant (465) Texas Feb 20, 2011

Stout aged in hype barrels - the best kind there is.

33. gshak

gshak Savant (465) Texas Feb 20, 2011

No truer words may have been spoken on this forum. This, good sir, is worthy of being in anyone's signature.

34. atomic

atomic Savant (435) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

I must be spoiled, but BCBS doesn't quite excite me much. Even the Cherry Rye was great, but not remotely worth the hype. Sure I was excited as hell to try them the first time, and I certainly recommend everyone try if possible, but I'm not itching to pop another anytime soon. I just got a bottle of coffee and cherry today from a friend. Probably going to try to use the Cherry as trade bate for Hunahpu. Still debating though, really want to age it. Might see if I can get another.

35. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

No matter what anyone says, hype can't make a brew taste better to you. I'd take a Peruvian Morning over a KBS and over a Bourbon Coffe Brand Stout. (Not that those two aren't fantastic beers, it's just that the peruvian was more my cup of tea.)

36. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Hopslam is solid, but don't know about "Holy Grail of DIPAs"...pretty sure PtY takes that title (for me at least, I have yet to have the chance to try it).

37. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

or glass of beer...

38. Enjoy what you like and enjoy what you can afford. Those readily available stouts are exceptional so enjoy them. At some point, when the money comes rolling in, treat yourself to a whale. Until then, avoid the buyers remorse and sit back and enjoy

39. The stouts that I keep coming back to are mostly easy to come by. Allagash Black, Bar Harbor Cadillac Mountain, Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, Old Rasputin, and Founders Breakfast. I also brew a sweet stout with enough malt to put Twen Teny to shame.

40. Well said.

I am fortunate enough to be part of a tasting group with deep cellars and great trade partners, we have tried all of the big dogs, enjoyed many. It still amazes me as to what some people elevate to whale status. Some of these stouts have amazing flavor profiles, but really lack in the mouthfeel. I will take a well crafted off the shelf stout like Youngs Double Chocolate every day of the week.

Have fun chasing the whales, but don't overlook the simple things in life.