1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Congrats BA (non-beer ads)

Discussion in 'Site' started by brees6221, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just wanted to pat you guys on the back for a minute. Today for the first time I noticed an advertisement at the top of the page for a major national company that is not beer-related (AirTran). I imagine it feels good to start getting companies outside of the industry to notice the value of advertising here and buying space. I remember when ads were first introduced here and hating the idea as much as all of the people who voiced their hatred. Now I hardly notice it. Great job Todd, Jason and everyone else, and thanks for using that money to make BA a better experience!!
  2. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

How come all the adds I see are for real dolls and organic produce?
  3. Mandark

Mandark Savant (305) Illinois Apr 8, 2008

Maybe it's a regional thing: I've been seeing ads for Vagisil (no joke, and, no, I'm not taking your vagina quiz), the Shedd Aquarium, insurance companies, and now credit cards (Citi as I type this), for months now....
    YogiBeer likes this.
  4. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Lol. You know these are based on browsing habits, right?
  5. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

I always wondered how they knew I had an Anime fetish...And that I drink beer.
    yamar68 likes this.
  6. Mandark

Mandark Savant (305) Illinois Apr 8, 2008

Are you implying my image searches for vaginas were misspelled?
    yamar68 and YogiBeer like this.
  7. weonfire

weonfire Savant (350) Illinois Sep 4, 2012

stop buying real dolls and organic produce. start buyin fantastic american beer. da....
  8. Now that you guys mention it, the ads did say flights from BWI starting at $59...WTF are you sickos searching for?!?!
  9. kemoarps

kemoarps Advocate (555) Washington Apr 30, 2008

Thanks to a crappy internet connection, all my ads are for: "This webpage not available, took too long to load"

Never thought I'd actually appreciate having slow internet!!
    JxExM likes this.
  10. makdeco

makdeco Savant (295) Illinois Jan 31, 2007

who has ads on any of there browsers? ;)
    jtdolla911 likes this.
  11. Vegan foods, graduate programs, Kayak.com, and Target. Yup, they've got me pegged.
  12. It makes me very happy to see fewer and fewer beer ads on this site. It was a huge conflict of interest if you asked me.
  13. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Currently, we only sell beer-centric ads. Anything other than this are 3rd party ads placed by another company. We allow this at the moment as our inventory is ~25 million pageviews per month. We're not selling that much in-house yet, so this allows us to at least get something for our unsold pageviews.

Some 3rd party ads will be based off of your browsing habits; on BA and elsewhere. Ads will also vary based on your current location.

For those who turn off ads, consider turning them on as these 3rd party ads generate revenue for BA and allow us to do more.

Thanks for the support.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.