Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

consecration food pairing

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Jefeipa, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Jefeipa

Jefeipa Aficionado (210) Arizona May 6, 2009

My girlfriends favorite beer is Consecration, so I wondering what food I should pair it with for Valentines day dinner?
  2. Depends. Are you having V-day dinner with her?

Mayor Quimby bought 5 dresses for Valentine's Day. 1 in wife size (huge) 4 in mistress size (small).
  3. I've had good luck with buttery deserts: shortbread cookies and madeleines. Dark chocolate, too.

I know it often gets paired with duck confit, too. I think many fatty foods will do well as the acidity will cut through it.
  4. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Advocate (720) Vermont Apr 9, 2009 Verified

Molten Chocolate Cake. The duck confit is also spot on.
  5. WickedGoodBBQ

WickedGoodBBQ Aficionado (150) Massachusetts Mar 8, 2012 Verified

I think barrel aged sours go great with the same foods you might match with champagnes (think rose champagne). Oysters, intense cheeses, charcuterie, smoked salmon, a fried appetizer like say crab fritter, steamed fish with curry sauce or chocolate dessert.
  6. hoppy99

hoppy99 Aficionado (205) Florida Feb 28, 2009

Consecration goes great with goat cheeses. I've had good pairings with cheeses like Purple Haze, Humboldt Fog, and a goat cheese that was flavored with truffles. I'd use the plain fresh bread or plain crackers such as water crackers so you don't overpower the cheese or the beer.
  7. Treb0R

Treb0R Savant (320) Oregon Dec 12, 2012

I too, would recommend it as an aperitif (before your main meal) but perhaps with some creamy cheese and crackers or some kind of elegant amuse-bouche. The sourness will open up your palate and offer intrigue to the meal to come.
    Jefeipa likes this.
  8. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,290) Maryland Mar 18, 2008 Verified

Duck would be a great choice, pork belly, as someone mentioned, fatty richness... mmm m mm
  9. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Advocate (545) Vermont Nov 2, 2007 Verified

I made seared duck breast which I then braised for a little while in Consecration with some creme de cassis. Pulled it out to keep it rare, and then made a reduction for the sauce (de-fatted.) Served over faro pilaf with almonds & dried black currants - with the beer to accompany. Everyone raved. Can't wait to do it again.