1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Conservation Beers?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mdwalsh, Feb 5, 2013.

1. mdwalsh

mdwalsh Savant (460) Iowa Feb 1, 2009

Looking for beers that use a portion of their profits for conservation and preservation of natural places. I know Preservation IPA does from Tonka Brewing in MN. Anyone else out there know of any?

2. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

3. jpro

jpro Savant (355) South Carolina Jun 3, 2009

I think that Sweetwater does some work supporting local Riverkeeper associations.

4. lookrider

lookrider Savant (400) Pennsylvania Apr 22, 2007

Lancaster Brewing in Lancaster PA gives a portion of the proceeds of their Winter Warmer sales to a local wolf sanctuary. Great little outfit that rescues wolves from all over the country and you can take a photo tour. The Winter Warmer is pretty good too.

5. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Founder's supports the Grand Rapids Whitewater, which is trying to restore the Grand River to rapids.

6. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Devil's Backbone Striped Bass...

Save the Chesapeake!! :)

Maine Beer Company King Titus, and also they give 1% "for the planet" for all their beers they sell.

Maxwell likes this.
  7. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

A quotation from the Maine Beer Co. website:

Maine Beer Company is a proud member of 1% for the Planet, giving back a portion of our sales to environmental groups around the world.

Learn more at www.onepercentfortheplanet.org

jglowe77 and Maxwell like this.
  8. mdwalsh

But do they have a specific beer for that project?

9. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

No, they have a growler that every fill donates $ for GRWW. So all but none at the same time.

10. Scotty

Scotty Aficionado (210) Maryland Jun 29, 2012

Flying Dog (Frederick,MD) - Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout:

"Last week, we donated a portion of proceeds from Pearl Necklace Oyster Stout to the Oyster Recovery Partnership. From 2012 sales alone, the ORP will be able to replant 750,000 oysters back into the Chesapeake Bay."

11. fields336

fields336 Savant (315) Virginia Nov 16, 2008

I believe a portion of Victory's Headwaters Pale Ale profits go back to water conservation efforts as well.

12. Weyerbacher Last Chance IPA

Thickfreakness likes this.
  13. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (595) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Yup - it does/they do. I think if you poke around brewery websites there are quite a few that do something along these lines, but it takes some digging to discover.

14. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Does the fact that Central Waters intends to be completely off the grid by 2015 count? I vote all CW beers! Keep that beautiful central WI beautiful.

15. At first I thought the post read "conversation beers". "Such and such beers donate to conversations..." Haha

loafinaround likes this.
  16. RyanGoodman

RyanGoodman Savant (310) Bolivia Nov 16, 2011

+1 Weyerbacher Last Chance IPA.....here's info direct from their website:

Now… for the name. Why “Last Chance?” The name “Last Chance” is a nod to something held very close to the hearts of many of the employees at Weyerbacher Brewing Company: Animal Rescue. Weyerbacher donates a portion of the proceeds from the sale of every drop of Last Chance IPA to small, regional animal rescue operations. These shelters offer dogs, cats and other pets their last chance to find a new home.

JrGtr likes this.
  17. Maine beer donates 1% and with the prices of their beers it's probably a decent amount....

18. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (735) California Oct 2, 2006

The way 1% for the planet works, all their beers are for that project.

19. Surge Protector Sandy Relief Ale. A collaboration of 8 Long Island breweries.

20. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

that's actually not for nature conservation, it's to help replenish food banks and rebuild a brewery slammed by sandy

definitely charitable... but also sold out in much less time than it took for sandy to pass over us ;)

21. you can still find it around the island.

22. My bad. Half watching TV and half reading what I'm posting about! LOL! Still for a good cause though.

23. ...and half in the bag!

24. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

didn't realize. Good to know. It sold out w/in hours in the 4 shops I frequent.

25. iowacraft01

iowacraft01 Aficionado (145) Iowa Oct 3, 2012

Big Cock IPA Great River Brewing Davenport Iowa, pheasants forever donations

26. yeah but you can probably find it in some bars and restaurants that served it.

27. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

Sierra Nevada seems to set the bench mark for environmental awareness and sustainability as a brewery. I know in years past they've had a month long benefit for wild rivers protection where a portion of their 12-pack sales are donated for this cause.

And for a cause very near and dear to my heart, Tuckerman Brewing Co. in North Conway, NH donates a portion of their proceeds from 6288' Stout to the Mt. Washington Observatory.

28. mdwalsh

Totally forgot about that one!

29. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

Jolly Pumpkin De Viento; brewed for a relief fund to benefit victims of tornados in the area. Pretty awesome beer; sour coffee saison but a bit pricey.