1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Contract Brewing

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by loony4lambic, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Hey, I have been reading about a few breweries opening in my area. That will be contracting brewing, and its sparked a bit of interest. I have read about it before, and understand some folks have hard feelings against those who contract brew their beers. Here is my question.

When you contact brew your beer at another brewery. Does your head brewer brew the beer on the Contract system, and then handle transferring to your brewery?

or does the Brewer of the Contract brewery, do the brewing of your beer?

Me and my brother have a dream of taking our homebrew bigger someday, and its much more realistic to contract brew at first. However we do not want somebody else brewing our beer. So just curious overall.

Thanks for any information!
  2. It can be done either way or anything in-between - depending on the specifics of the contract and the desire of the "contractee" brewer with the agreement of the actual brewery.

Some contract companies actually "rent" the contractor's brewery and buy and own all their own packaging material and ingredients in a legal arrangement called an "alternating proprietorship". The other extreme is a contract brewer simply has either a standard or custom recipe brewed, labeled and packaged for them by another brewery and the contract company simply does the distribution and marketing.

Here is a sample copy of the contract between Boston Beer Co. and Stroh Brewing Co. in 1998 Lotsa legalese - they don't call it contract brewing for nothin', after all. ;)
  3. Thats awesome. Obviously frindships need to be made and things like that, but thats pretty cool how theres alot of options. The "other" extreme is pretty lame. But the otheres are certainly something to consider

Thanks for the information