1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Controversial new label from Mikkeller: Mexas Ranger

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jmgrub, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Member

I heard that Sheriff Joe is not going to permit sales of this beer in his town.
    dejrrma likes this.
  2. epk

epk Member

Mexas Ranger? A Mexican Chuck Norris illustration would have got more laughs out of me.
  3. BrewDogRocks

BrewDogRocks Member

Hello. I am also Mexican and find the label quite funny and not racist in the least. You are also misinterpreting the label totally. The people are leaving the bland 'yellow' Texas land and going into the colorful Mexican border. They are escaping the US and crossing into Mexico.

So you misinterpreted the label and even if you hadn't, I don't know why you would be offended. I am Mexican and not in the least offended.

P.S. It's called 'Mazapan' not 'Maizpan'
    ShanePB, ADTaber and AleWatcher like this.
  4. WassailWilly

WassailWilly Member

I see nothing offensive with that label and doubt seriously Mikkeller was going for that angle. It is narrow minded people who find it offensive .
    ADTaber and ShogoKawada like this.
  5. stupac2

stupac2 Member

I think it's more likely that they're crossing the border INTO Mexico. Why would the US be depicted as having that design? And why would they be coming into the US on a Mexico-inspired beer?

Also, this seems like a ridiculous thing to get upset about.
    ADTaber and ShogoKawada like this.
  6. tsauce2

tsauce2 Member

To the OP:

What exactly is it about the label that offends you? What is it that you see as racist?
  7. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

My wife is Mexican and the only thing she was offended at when I showed her this was the black beans and avocado leaves as ingredients.
    WassailWilly likes this.
  8. wcintula

wcintula Member

It seems he was a bit deliberate in the design. They're crossing the other way, versus the Caution sign shown above so it kinda does depict going in to Mexico. I see where you're coming from, but I wouldn't take it personally.
  9. FosterJM

FosterJM Member

My mexican wife doesnt find it offensive. She said if it had the verbage go home it might.

Cheers!
  10. cpinto6

cpinto6 Member

People in this country need to chill. I'm Mexican and I could care less. One of our breweries(Cucapa) has a border hopper series so what? Don't say yea but it's a Mexican brewery because double standards are bullshit. It's something that's been used as comedy for awhile now so if it offends you grow some skin or just don't buy w/e it is.
  11. cpinto6

cpinto6 Member

Now that I think about it, maybe the bottom right corner is supposed to be the atlantic ocean so its a cut off map view and they are crossing into mexico rather than into the US. Crossing the border when referring to mexicans usually means crossing into the US though so if Mikkeller's intention was crossing into Mexico, many people that just glance and don't analyze it will think its what it would usually mean.
  12. MuertosPorter

MuertosPorter Member

13. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Member

You know the label shows them running out of Texas into Mexico, right? right?

The original beer was Texas Ranger. Now that they've crossed the border for the tasty Mexican ingredients, it's Mexas Ranger.

Please, tell me how this is racist. I beg you.
  14. Steasy66

Steasy66 Member

How one could draw parallels between this label and black face is beyond me.
  15. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

Another white guy with a Mexican wife? DarthKostrizer is in our same boat.
  16. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Member

Spot on!
  17. FosterJM

FosterJM Member

Mine is 1/2 mexican and 1/2 Russian.

Cheers!
  18. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Member

Like the invading force in Red Dawn. Cool!
  19. FosterJM

FosterJM Member

I think I did a good job. She's a keeper. (cue the awwwww comments)
  20. funkel81

funkel81 Member

Not Racist.

el Funk has spoken.
  21. TicoCali

TicoCali Member

Just don't buy it.
  22. Pittsky

Pittsky Member

everything is racist. im sick of all these sensitive ass people whining about everything is offensive or racist. grow up. dont like it? no one cares.

is it not true that 10's of thousands if not 100's of thousands of mexicans cross into the united states borders every year illegally? thats ok, but someone making beer labels about it is blasphemy? haha love it
  23. mondegreen

mondegreen Member

And?
  24. dennis3951

dennis3951 Member

excellent point
  25. Frozenmoses

Frozenmoses Member

This label offends me as a Texan.
  26. kmello69

kmello69 Member

I can't believe this thread is still going. Look, some people who are Mexican might be offended, and some won't - should we expect that just because someone is Mexican they should be required to feel one way or the other? There will also be some non-Mexican people who will be offended, and some who won't. And I'm not judging - fall where you want - but I don't really get where continuing this conversation is going to be fruitful. Probably just me.
  27. mikkeller

mikkeller Member

We are not trying to pull another Sam here but guys, please loosen up.

First of all - the label is not at all meant to be racist or controversial. It is a fun take on what we think is a pretty crazy sign. Hey guys, the signs are placed in the US, nowhere else - think about it. In Denmark we have similar signs warning us against animals on the road when driving through forests. You are cautioned against mexican immigrants running over the boarder into your country?....By Scandinavian standarts, signs like that are actually very offensive. The label is taking the piss on the fact that someone would actaully put up signs like that...

The story of the label is pretty simple. We did a beer called Texas Ranger (Chipotle Porter in the US) for the Texan market. After our visit to Texas in November 2011 eating a bunch of lovely mexican food we decided to do a Mexican version of that beer - using mexican ingredients. We wanted to call the beer Texas Ranger - crossing the boarder, but again - we cannot call it something with Texas, so we renamed it Mexas Ranger - crossing the boarder. The label shows some human beeings crossing the boarder into mexico (wrong way, but some people actually go that way even though a lot of people cant imagine why..). If you find that offensive, we dont really know what to say..Yes, maybe offensive toward the US and the way of thinking about mexicans...but hey - its a joke!

For the ingredient.
    Almond milk is actually Horchata, but for some reason we could not put that on the label in the US. We could not get the mexican version Horchate here, so we used the spanish version. Have you guys ever tried danish in Denmark compared to the ones you get in the US? Or rye-bread?

Chili. Well, it is an american label, and you guys have label rules. We dont make them. We tried writing Chile with no luck. http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/mexicancookingfaqs/f/chileorchili.htm

Black Beans - we love this dish: http://www.chow.com/recipes/10420-mexican-black-beans-with-epazote
    And the beer actually has Epazote in it as well.

Cheers,
    We-love-craft-beer-Mikkeller

P.S. The Swastika example - these are the very famous Carlsberg elephants: http://swastika-info.com/en/startpage/danmark/1069534845.html Do you really find that offensive? It's and old symbol that the nazis fucked up...Only offense is the shit beer Carlsberg produces ;)
    yamar68, cpinto6, UCLABrewN84 and 3 others like this.
  28. Archemedies

Archemedies Member

I don't see it as offensive. But in this day in age, if one person gets their feelings hurt.....well you know...
    Photekut likes this.
  29. TheBrewo

TheBrewo Member

This beer will have a lot to live up to, considering Mexican food is the best cuisine out there. Bizarre ingredients, but I can't wait to try it.

As for the label....ehh...I'm personally not offended, but it seems reasonable to see how someone might be. Content aside, the color scheme certainly catches the eye.
  30. Ninjabrew

Ninjabrew Member

Perhaps I can write some "essays" on this.
  31. kohoutek

kohoutek Member

I like the aesthetics of the label.
  32. azorie

azorie Member

only thing that bugs me is what's in the bottle.
  33. Jason

Jason BA Founder Staff Member

If it is fact then it should not offend at all unless it was such a hanis crime that was against humanity or blatantly racist. Being that it is current fact and I see some parody to it ... whatever. Thank you Tosh.0
  34. Jason

Jason BA Founder Staff Member

Thank you ...
  35. MattSweatshirt

MattSweatshirt Member

I'm a fan of all the ingredients sans avacado leaf? Never eaten that. Seems interesting. I like avocados themselves. Texas Ranger was good. He maybe should have gone with a different name. Something to do with vaquero maybe? I'm not totally up on the history of the Texas Rangers, but for the most part they seem to be white. Even those who had good intentions(Nelson Lee) were still inherently racist so I don't see any Mexicans in the ranks.
    Anyway, yeah, history nerd out and beer nerd in..looking forward to this!
  36. cpinto6

cpinto6 Member

This is kind of random...out of curiosity how'd you run into a thread this old that no one else had revived?
  37. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Member

*Shhhhhh*...Don't let the ACLU see this... (our secret)...don't want to offend anyone... shhhhhhhhh...
  38. yamar68

yamar68 Member

While yes, this is a beer label... a lot of this conversation belongs elsewhere. It's a very delicate subject, for good reason. No one is going to reverse or reaffirm racism in a beer forum, as crazy as that sounds. I'm not pushing for or against this label, just trying to keep things in perspective. Cheers!
  39. Thehuntmaster

Thehuntmaster Member

Not where I am from :confused:
  40. kmatlack

kmatlack Member

Allright, lets take a quick glance at that label again, and let me bring up a few points. I personally don't care who is crossing what border however, mikkeller is leading me to believe we are talking about hispanics here...

1) What hat is the man wearing? Is this offering protection from the sun or is the style even tailored to the gentleman wearing the hat?
    2) Why the fuck is this lady running across any border in heels and a skirt? Don't know who she's running from but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that, that combination would not make for a quick escape.
    3) When looking at the size of the chili pepper in comparison to the bodies, A) Where in the fuck are you getting peppers that big? B) Why is bringing that monstrosity with you more important than, lets say, a change of clothes or a bottle of water?

A quick google images search of the phrase "Crossing the Border" will render more realistic pictures.

An unrelated fact: I love mikkeller's artwork.
    SgunnarW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.