1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Controversial new label from Mikkeller: Mexas Ranger

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jmgrub, Feb 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. as a New Mexican, (ie mexican food snob) i think this sounds gross...
  2. Jason

Jason Founder (1,330) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

It was posted on twitter last night by a few people ...
  3. I fail to see any stereotype or racism portrayed in that label.
  4. So its parody of a road sign. Is the road sign offensive? No.
    Does it mock the people (immigrants or rangers or otherwise)? No.
    Can you get all of these ingredients in Texas? Is it common knowledge? Yes and yes.

If you want to get offended, how about the tons of labels that depict devils or evil in a cool manner.
    It's so common now that its kind of cliche and easy to ignore.
  5. hhkal17

hhkal17 Savant (495) Pennsylvania Jul 10, 2005

Haha that's one of the first things I noticed. I was thinking, "damn that pepper is huge compared to her."
  6. MLucky

MLucky Savant (355) California Jul 31, 2010

So, if someone makes a beer label depicting the KKK lynching a black man, and the name of the beer is something that plays upon a well-known racial stereotype, that would be Ok? How about maybe a picture of a woman with a couple black eyes and a man with balled up fists standing over her and a beer with a name that made light of domestic violence?

Sorry, but the defenses you're offering don't really hold water. It is certainly possible for humans to produce inanimate objects that offend other humans. When they offend people of a certain race, or gender, they become kind of dangerous, because those kinds of things have been used to legitimize violence, laws that discriminate, social prejudices, etc. It's always a difficult call to say when something crosses the line from being merely distasteful to something that ought not to be allowed, but generally the idea is that it's the group that's being depicted that gets to have the most say about whether that depiction is offensive. So it's not really up to us white boys to dismiss concerns about a depiction of mexican immigrants by saying, "hey, it doesn't offend me." I can guarantee you some Latinos will find this offensive. Hundreds of people die every year crossing the border. Without getting into the whole, complicated debate about immigration, I don't think it's a stretch to say the label is a tad insensitive. True, there are more important things to worry about. There almost always are. But they're going to catch some flak for this, and they probably should.
  7. Beans are not that unusual of an ingredient for making beer - just another starch. See Heavyweight Perkunnos hammer / Victory Baltic Thunder
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.