1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

convert from LME to grain

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by GeeL, Mar 9, 2012.

1. GeeL

GeeL Aficionado (185) Massachusetts Aug 27, 2008

I have some charts for converting LME to grain, but few are similar. I have the brewing classic styles book, and the conversion they're using is yet another one.

Do I go by what's in the recipe book or should I follow a standard conversion? And, where can I find a standard conversion for LME --> grain (and others like DME --> grain and vice versa).

Thanks
  2. oach

oach Aficionado (130) Illinois Jul 8, 2009

I know in the front of BYO magazine they have the correct conversion each month but I don't have that handy at the moment. This site http://www.brew-dudes.com/all-grain-to-extract-conversion/78 seems to have a good representation of the conversion and explanation. The reason you may see a slight difference in your references is because the DME and LME are usually given as a range, so someone could be choosing a number in that range different from someone else, but they should be very close to each other.
  3. GeeL

Thanks, but I need the other way... extract to AG.
  4. GeeL

Wait, I just thought of this... is there a tool in Beersmith that can do the conversion for me?
  5. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

Divide instead of multiply. Or vice versa.
  6. Remember it is all about your efficiency...

LME is ~37PPG on average

Most 2-Row is also ~37 PPG, but you only get 75% (or your efficiency) of that. So to convert take the # of LME and divide by your efficiency and replace with 95% 2 Row & 5% Carapils (the standard LME)